Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on a colour combination

• 04-01-2019 8:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of deciding on a new car and it's a 4 series in the below colour combination. The prevailing opinion is that it's not the nicest colour combination :D

I love it but maybe I just have terrible taste!

It's Snapper Rocks Blue with Coral Red Leather

469566.jpeg

469567.jpeg

Anyone at least share my taste?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can see why you’d do it, the interior is lovely. The blue looks like a crap vinyl wrap IMO and will get very old very quickly. Just my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

What's important is that you like it, don't try to buy it for the next owners tastes.

I think it looks good too tbh but I can see why it may be a bit of a marmite combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hmm.

The orange with blue is a strong colour choice alright. They are opposite on the colour wheel. You’ll also see a lot of films now shot in an almost blue/orange tone.

615f91380b27a44d00a24e11941a0dd1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

And also, just to say, I do love a blue car. Three of mine have been blue.

My likes of this end there though. Don’t like the old technology car with a combustion engine. Don’t like the orange leather.

But, yes to the blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

F48248-A2-2168-43-F6-B666-7-A359-CAE10-C9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I can go with Estoril Blue as an alternative to the Blue above which is the more common blue on the 4 series

I saw the blue I selected in the showroom today and I thought it was unreal.

BMW-428i-GC-Bilbao-40-850x538.jpg

Thanks for the replies

Also the leather is more a red than orange:

d2e5e8ad67474631b1cdb028cea9947a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

That blue is a nice colour in the metal, the above computer render of it isn’t great. Here it is:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/4-series/used-2018-181-bmw-4-series-420d-m-spo-sligo-fpa-201809270919294

I’m not sure about pairing it with red/coral leather though but I suppose it’ll be different. Usually if it’s an absolute no-no the manufacturer won’t even let you spec it (e.g. cream leather with a white car).

Edit: I think the red on the dash would put me off. You could get tired looking at that fairly quick. The red on the seats alone is enough, pity they don’t leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

If you like it go for it.

Tan leather would be nice with it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The blue is lovely but the red interior is very very red in real life, not like the brownish colour in the render.

I saw a couple of approved used grey 4ers when I was looking and they had the red interior for some reason.

Personally I wouldn't spec. the red and would stick with black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

JoeA3 wrote: »
    That blue is a nice colour in the metal, the above computer render of it isn’t great. Here it is:

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/4-series/used-2018-181-bmw-4-series-420d-m-spo-sligo-fpa-201809270919294

I’m not sure about pairing it with red/coral leather though but I suppose it’ll be different. Usually if it’s an absolute no-no the manufacturer won’t even let you spec it (e.g. cream leather with a white car).

The manufacturer will let you spec what you want.

I've seen those Renault things with different coloured roofs in extremely odd combinations. There's one that lives near me that every time I see it I get annoyed that someone let them order it.

I also know someone who ordered a car which had a fancy name ...something black....when the car came it was a disgusting faded abrown, customer burst into tears and refused to take it.

What some dealers would do is take an additional deposit with these type of colours.

I like both the colour and the interior, just not together. While I like that blue, I would not buy it. I also prefer the other blue- won't date as quick.

I once bought a red beetle with a red dashboard- after 2 months I hated it. The cream interior linked above is best for that colour blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

If you like it go for it.

Tan leather would be nice with it too.

I think BMW do saddle brown. It's lovely. Very rare to find ex-demo/AUC though unfortunately for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭carsfan2

The snapper rocks blue is a marmite colour. Some love it others find it too loud.
    If you like it, go for it but maybe ask the dealer if he would have any reservations about taking it back as a trade in due to the colour combination. If he hesitates or is negative I would be guided by them as they tend to know what sells on best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Personally, I think it's just a bit too much with such strong colours on the exterior and interior. One or the other, but not both together.

Not sure which option I'd go on the interior with the snapper rocks exterior, but I'd be going black sapphire or carbon black with the red leather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Resale will be hurt considerably, if that's not a concern the go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I have an estoril blue f10 with some form of orange brown leather interior and it's lovely. Had an e60 before it with same interior and that was lovely too. It's individual choice. Some guy bought my e60 on Thursday and said the individual colours were what swayed it for him over the wide range of cream or black leather interiors. So if you like it, go for it. Personally I think the red is a bit loud for my tastes but there's a black e92 coupe near me which has red leather and it looks very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can see why you’d do it, the interior is lovely. The blue looks like a crap vinyl wrap IMO and will get very old very quickly. Just my opinion anyway.

I am actually opposite opinion on this. I sow that blue colour on bmw in real life and it looks very very good. Really makes car stand out. That interior is a bit of no no for me. It would look a lot better in white/cream paired with that blue exterior colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Your car, your choice.

However in my own opinion that colour is far better suited to a coupe than a GC or saloon. They're just too big for that colour IMO. Similarly I friggin love Estoril Blue and it works very well on anything up to a 4er, be it coupe or GC. The same colour looks gaudy on a 5 / 6 IMO.

Interior wise it has to be beige or oyster for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭freddieot

Not to my taste but go for it as you are the one that will be driving it.

My own opinion is that these more exotic colours look much better under spotlights and with a high polish in the dealership than they do after a day or two in real life with Irish weather \ roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The seats and door cards would be fine for me in that colour but the bottom half of the dash also is just too ott for me. Go with what works for you though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Easy for people to say do what you want as it's not their money. That interior would not be my cup of tea. There are three types of BMW buyer, those that like black leather, those that like Oyster and the 1% who order something else. You are limiting your future buyer base with that colour, I would go with a safer option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I think the blue is just about alright but would need a cream or beige interior to make it work. As others have said the red interior just looks wrong in those photos and would have very limited (if any) appeal to potential second buyers.

I'd have a rethink to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I have a 4er in black sapphire with black leather. Would have also considered estoril blue. I like snapper rocks blue, but not with the red interior. I find the two together jarring to look at and would find the red interior difficult to look at every day.

If I was looking at two similar spec cars and the only difference was a red interior v any other colour interior, the other colour would win.

There are 200 odd 4 series on carzone at the moment. About 5 of them have a red interior. That's the market. There's one which has a red interior and exterior, it's making my eyes bleed just looking at it.

But if you aren't worried about the resale and you really like it then go for it.

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Pulled the trigger this morning on the snapper rocks blue and coral combo so if nothing else I will have something unique in 8-10 weeks time.

I don't mind that it divides opinion because I love the combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Post a few pics when you get it!

Finally got to see the car today!

I'm delighted with the colour combo :)

476302.jpg

476303.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I must say I was skeptical when I first saw that combination, but now that I see it again, it has grown on me considerably.

I love the blue in that recent photo - somehow looks a lot better than in the original pic. I'd be happy with it. I'm sure the car looks even better in real life. Enjoy it, it's fabulous.

Advertisement