Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Tax

Options
  • 04-01-2019 10:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I started a new job over a month ago and registered this with Revenue immediately. My Tax Credits Cert was provided to me by Revenue within a few days of that. But I'm still paying emergency tax. If I have the Tax Credits Cert a month, how long would my employer have the necessary documentation to pay me at the correct tax rate? They are denying that they have the Cert yet, but I don't trust them and am doubting this. Is it possible that Revenue would have had it available online to me pretty much immediately but not provided my employer with the information at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Just print it and give it to your employer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Wow, that was a quick response, thanks!

I emailed my Tax Cert to them, but they said that was my documentation and they needed their own from Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

I had this before and it lasted nine weeks despite me having my cert within a few days of registering .

Revenue said employer got it on Ros same time as I got it. Turned out my suspicions that things were off was right as there were constant payment issues thereafter until I left. My suspicion was a general inability on the accounts side rather than an intentional attempt to screw me but who knows.

I'd be a little more patient than a month but not much. Others will be along shortly with advice on how to get Revenue to talk to your employer I'm sure.

No employer will accept that these days , it's Ros or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

quickbeam wrote: »
    Wow, that was a quick response, thanks!

I emailed my Tax Cert to them, but they said that was my documentation and they needed their own from Revenue.

Your employer needs to download the RPN (tax cert) under the new PAYE modrnisation programme they should be very aware of this as they should be doing it before each payrun.

This will update the payroll system with your credits and rate band thus removing you from emergency tax

• Advertisement

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Your employer needs to download the RPN (tax cert) under the new PAYE modrnisation programme they should be very aware of this as they should be doing it before each payrun.

This will update the payroll system with your credits and rate band thus removing you from emergency tax

Thanks. They say they do that before each pay run but up until now it has not been there. But my suspicion is that if I have my Tax Cert for a month, then surely the RPN* would be there the same length of time. I'm just wondering if it's plausible that I could have mine but they don't have theirs yet.

*thanks, didn't know the exact documentation name they used

Thanks. They say they do that before each pay run but up until now it has not been there. But my suspicion is that if I have my Tax Cert for a month, then surely the RPN* would be there the same length of time. I'm just wondering if it's plausible that I could have mine but they don't have theirs yet.

If you received a tax cert with the correct info then Revenues record is up to date and the issue is with payroll.

They should contact the employers helpline in Revenue for assistance if they insist there is no RPN available for you

If you received a tax cert with the correct info then Revenues record is up to date and the issue is with payroll.

They should contact the employers helpline in Revenue for assistance if they insist there is no RPN available for you

Fantastic, thanks. It's as I suspected so. Making a suggestion to them to call Revenue won't go down very well though! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

No

It's very unlikely you have them assigned and recorded on your cert yet not on theirs

Have you an online account with the revenue?
    It's called Myaccount

Fantastic, thanks. It's as I suspected so. Making a suggestion to them to call Revenue won't go down very well though! :mad:

Shouldnt take a suggestion from you, if you are their employee they should be ensuring they have their own payroll system up to date as its in their interest.

Non compliance of PAYE modernisation programme by employers carries a fine for repeat offenders!

• Advertisement

Remember you did the work (I hope!). An expectation to be paid correctly isn't unreasonable.

I'd allow a bit of latitude in the initial period but there are some employers who rely on the embarrassment factor / fear of job loss to stretch out their cash flow. Only you can make that determination but in general assume stupidity over malice ;) Hope all works out

wally1990 wrote: »
    No

It's very unlikely you have them assigned and recorded on your cert yet not on theirs

Have you an online account with the revenue?
    It's called Myaccount

Yeah, that's where I logged on and saw that I had my own Tax Credits Cert, dated a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

This could be an issue with the new system OP.

On 31st October every employer had to register a list of employees with revenue. If you weren't started then, maybe that's what caused the issue.

Wait until your first pay from 2019 and see what happens. If it's not corrected then you need to get on to revenue and tell them this.

When you registered with revenue did you give them your employers registered number?

Shouldnt take a suggestion from you, if you are their employee they should be ensuring they have their own payroll system up to date as its in their interest.

Non compliance of PAYE modernisation programme by employers carries a fine for repeat offenders!

They, but they're a-holes!! :P Good to know about repeat offenders. I'll keep that in mind if it doesn't get sorted soon.

Yeah, that's where I logged on and saw that I had my own Tax Credits Cert, dated a month ago

Does your Tax Credits Cert list your current employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

BBFAN wrote: »

And ensure if it does that your tax credits are showing under that employer and not the previous (in the event they are still on it )

This could be an issue with the new system OP.

On 31st October every employer had to register a list of employees with revenue. If you weren't started then, maybe that's what caused the issue.

Wait until your first pay from 2019 and see what happens. If it's not corrected then you need to get on to revenue and tell them this.

When you registered with revenue did you give them your employers registered number?

Yeah, I started after 31st October.

I have already received a pay in 2019 - yesterday. Though this was for work completed in 2018 so maybe won't count.

Yes, definitely gave the correct number.

Ah, okay, this is a really good point. No, it's showing a different employer, but one who I'm also working for (as a side job, but one I had before the current one, which is my main job). This could be the thing causing confusion for Payroll and them not getting my RPN.

But my online Revenue account does show both employers as current.

Ah, okay, this is a really good point. No, it's showing a different employer, but one who I'm also working for (as a side job, but one I had before the current one, which is my main job). This could be the thing causing confusion for Payroll and them not getting my RPN.

But my online Revenue account does show both employers as current.

Okay, there's your answer. You need to allocate your tax credits the way you want them.

Thanks. Super stuff guys.

I take it all back about Payroll! At least until I check with Revenue :)

• Advertisement

Thanks. Super stuff guys.

I take it all back about Payroll! At least until I check with Revenue :)

No problem, I've had the same problem with a director of two companies I work for who just told me to split his salary between both companies and I told him he has to get on to revenue and tell them how to split the tax credits.

Nothing your payroll department can do about this, it has to come from you.

Advertisement