Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross

Options
  • 05-01-2019 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi all, I’ve hit a wall with my current sport. I’ve been rowing for most of my adult life but with work etc, I’m now a member of a club with no adult members so what was once a team sport is now spent in a single. Also if anyone knows rowing; to be competitive at adult level requires 6-8 sessions a week!
    I would be interested in beginning cyclocross once this year’s season is over. Does anyone know of a competitive club around Fermoy that caters for cyclocross? And is racing accessible for somebody fit but not experienced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

It's the end of the season now, with the Nationals on in Cork on Sunday week

So there's your opportunity - head down for a look, its being run by De Ronde Van Cork, at Fota Island, so you'll find anyone who's racing cyclocross in Cork is bound to be there
    From my own experience racing this year, I've seen lads/ladies from DRVC, MBCC, Kanturk at the the races

Is cx accesible for someone fit but not experienced? Absolutely, but you would benefit hugely from training with a group, as it's quite a technical sport and you'll need to practice technique - also, again just from my own experience, as training is usually composed of hard, short intervals you'll push yourself harder in a training group

My advice - head down to the nationals , see who's there locally and hook up with them. Remember though, most cxers will be packing it in after the nationals, and will go (back) to mtb or road and only return to cx specific training in August / September

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Cyclocross is a brilliant competitive sport and is growing in Munster. It is good fun too.It is the end of the season now and will be back in September.
    The A race is competitive while the B race is a good introduction.
    Clubs with races and competitors in Cork;
    Revolution Mallow
    Over the Hill in Watergrasshill
    DeRonde in Cork City
    St. Finbarr’s in Cork City
    Youghal CC (last race prior to nationals tomorrow 6th of January)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Hi,

I completely agree with the above. It's a great sport, not only for the newbie, but also for the Sunday club rider. Sure there's fitness involved, but also learning rather than knowing the skills.

Most of all it's a sport that doesn't take itself too seriously so most people are out for the fun. Hopefully our blogs on www.oldvelos.com give you a sense of that.

The question for you is what to do now the CX season is coming to an end. I'd guess mountan biking and you're not a thousand miles from the Ballyhouras. Or you could join up with Naomhoga Chorcaí, the Currach rowers in Cork, who definitely have an emphasis on social for all ages.

Decisions, decisions!! See you in September for the CX

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

Hi lads, thanks for the advice. Considering it has stopped now for the spring, summer I’ll keep rowing but will def like to try it come next winter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you already a cyclist? you mentioned you'd like to race.

• Advertisement
Advertisement