Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade from a Sony Z3 Compact

• 05-01-2019 8:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice.

I currently have a Z3 Compact, generally happy with it. I am not one who is into the latest phones, but I am starting to find the screen a little small and awkward to read.

Am thinking of upgrading to a slightly bigger, better quality screen.

Don't like the massive mobiles I see people with, so would like to stay at a size not much bigger than what I'm using now. Would also like to stick with Sony if possible.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

A lot depends on your budget, if you have a big budget then the world is your oyster, if your budget is small then obviously you'll have less choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't mind buying second hand, my current phone was used.

I have done a bit of searching and I would like a 5" screen, good quality. Could maybe go up to 5.2", so have been considering the XA2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

You've so much choice these days - can you give a budget and we can make some recommendations? Do you want to buy local or is online acceptable?

Ideally I'd suggest the following:

Any Nokia 6/7 model
    Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite
    Huawei P20 / P20 Lite

advertsfox wrote: »
    You've so much choice these days - can you give a budget and we can make some recommendations? Do you want to buy local or is online acceptable?

Ideally I'd suggest the following:

Any Nokia 6/7 model
    Xiaomi Mi A2 / A2 Lite
    Huawei P20 / P20 Lite

Was planning to stick with Sony, have had a few of their phones now and like them.

I'd like to keep spend under 200, but as mentioned I don't mind buying a used phone.

Searched those suggestions, they are big screens, sorry no interest in something that big. 5.2" is max.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Was planning to stick with Sony, have had a few of their phones now and like them.

I'd like to keep spend under 200, but as mentioned I don't mind buying a used phone.

Searched those suggestions, they are big screens, sorry no interest in something that big. 5.2" is max.

Then it sounds like the XA1 is the ideal option for you, only £149 on Amazon which is SIM Free.

Sony Xperia XA1 SIM-Free Smartphone - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06X9QZSQC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_AJtmCbG4S7N4N

• Advertisement

It sounds perfect, but some shocking reviews there on amazon.

NIMAN wrote: »
    It sounds perfect, but some shocking reviews there on amazon.
    Not at all surprised, Sony are in the middle of re-entering the market with Android properly and haven't made a solid phone in years. Modern phones are mostly 5.5"+ too. I wouldn't stick to one brand esp. when they all use the same OS in Android - I'd highly recommend the Nokia 5 - 5.2" and near stock OS too. Fantastic price as well.

Nokia 5 SIM Free Android Smartphone - Blue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0716YV2S7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_enumCb4D8DSHM

Advertisement