If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG C8 vs Samsung Q9FN

Options
  • 05-01-2019 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

So I am on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a new TV. Have been a big OLED fan for quite a while but after much research I am now swaying towards the QLED. The majority of my usage would be for sports and gaming with some less frequent movie watching. For me the key concerns with OLED are the potential for burn-in (especially with gaming and the constant sky sports logo in the corner) and the lack of suitability for bright room viewing. The QLED has disadvantages too with the slightly lower quality black levels and the viewing angle. Overall though I suspect the QLEd is the better option for what I need. I would be interested to hear any additional perspectives you may have and of course to chance my arm and see if you have any reduction codes per the other post here for the C8? You're price for the Q9FN is admittadely already the best I have seen.... :) Thanks for your help. 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

jv2000 wrote: »
    So I am on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a new TV. Have been a big OLED fan for quite a while but after much research I am now swaying towards the QLED. The majority of my usage would be for sports and gaming with some less frequent movie watching. For me the key concerns with OLED are the potential for burn-in (especially with gaming and the constant sky sports logo in the corner) and the lack of suitability for bright room viewing. The QLED has disadvantages too with the slightly lower quality black levels and the viewing angle. Overall though I suspect the QLEd is the better option for what I need. I would be interested to hear any additional perspectives you may have and of course to chance my arm and see if you have any reduction codes per the other post here for the C8? You're price for the Q9FN is admittadely already the best I have seen.... :) Thanks for your help. 
    Hi jv2000.

Thanks for the post.

I'm going to be a little bias unfortunately as I purchased an OLED last year and lover it.

Screen burn for me is not an issue as I had a Pioneer plasma for 10 years and view the OLED with the same care.

I play lots of game via a PS4 and have never had an issue, same with the football, its never off in my house.
    Although the screen burnt panels are out there we have not had any here at our Belfast store or online sales so far with the 7 or 8 series. (Touch Wood).
    As long as you remember there is a risk you could screen burn the OLED you will take care to change station every now and again and to run the pixel shift ever few weeks.

Now as you say the Samsung QLEDS don't suffer this fate but you do lose out on Black Levels.
    The QLED does have a high input lag and is in theory better for gaming (Depending on how good a gamer you are ;) )

Both are fantastic TV's and produce excellent images!

Any of the deals you have seen quoted on these TV's over the last day or two still apply.
    If you can let me know which size and I can pop up some pricing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jv2000

Hi jv2000.

Thanks for the post.

I'm going to be a little bias unfortunately as I purchased an OLED last year and lover it.

Screen burn for me is not an issue as I had a Pioneer plasma for 10 years and view the OLED with the same care.

I play lots of game via a PS4 and have never had an issue, same with the football, its never off in my house.
    Although the screen burnt panels are out there we have not had any here at our Belfast store or online sales so far with the 7 or 8 series. (Touch Wood).
    As long as you remember there is a risk you could screen burn the OLED you will take care to change station every now and again and to run the pixel shift ever few weeks.

Now as you say the Samsung QLEDS don't suffer this fate but you do lose out on Black Levels.
    The QLED does have a high input lag and is in theory better for gaming (Depending on how good a gamer you are ;) )

Any of the deals you have seen quoted on these TV's over the last day or two still apply.
    Hi Kenny, thanks for your perspective on this and definitely reassuring to hear about the screen burn. I am looking at 55" since the wife doesn't want the 65" (any year now I will convert her). So for now I am sticking with 55.

Hi jv2000.

Thanks for the post.

Hi Kenny, thanks for your perspective on this and definitely reassuring to hear about the screen burn. I am looking at 55" since the wife doesn't want the 65" (any year now I will convert her). So for now I am sticking with 55.
    Hey JV2000.

At the moment the 55C8PLA is coming in at £1699 including a free WK7 speaker.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13600-lg-oled-55c8-with-free-wk7-speaker-oled-tv-with-free-smart-speaker.aspx

Or you can pay a 1699 Euro (No free WK7 speaker but much cheaper than the sterling price)
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-203216-lg-oled55c8pla-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Works out far cheaper paying in Euro for the 55B8PLA.

The 55Q9FN again seem to work out cheaper paying in euro. It listed up at 1879 Euro but £1799 sterling
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203285-samsung-qe55q9fn-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-premium-hdr-2000-smart-qled-tv-tvplus.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi Kenny, thanks for your advice on this topic. I did a LOT of research in the meantime including watching the RTing.com screen burn tests but decided as a technology fiend that I needed OLED over QLED. Also I will admit that the Google home integration on the LG and the viewing angle were a major factor in my decision. Anyhow I went ahead and pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon and it just arrived! Super fast! I am in work though and so it will be a while yet before I get home to set it up..... it will be a long day.

Hi Kenny, thanks for your advice on this topic. I did a LOT of research in the meantime including watching the RTing.com screen burn tests but decided as a technology fiend that I needed OLED over QLED. Also I will admit that the Google home integration on the LG and the viewing angle were a major factor in my decision. Anyhow I went ahead and pulled the trigger yesterday afternoon and it just arrived! Super fast! I am in work though and so it will be a while yet before I get home to set it up..... it will be a long day.
    Hi jv2000,

Kenny's off today but I'll make sure he gets your message! That's great news, glad it's arrived safely!

I'd just pull a sickie and go home to set it up :D

Let me know how you get on, they really are stunning TVs.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Where are you located? I ordered an OLED 55 last Friday and still waiting for it down here in the South East.

Where are you located?  I ordered an OLED 55 last Friday and still waiting for it down here in the South East.
    Hi Tipsy, I am located in Dublin.

Ah I’m going spare waiting for this TV :)

Ah I’m going spare waiting for this TV :)
    Hi Tipsy,

Our deliveries usually take a little longer outside of Dublin unfortunately.

Let me know if it hasn't turned up by tomorrow and we'll look into it for you!

Kind regards

David

Got the Telly. Only thing is I set up the remote to be used for thy sky box which I actually don’t want. Anyway to reset this?

• Advertisement

Got the Telly.  Only thing is I set up the remote to be used for thy sky box which I actually don’t want.  Anyway to reset this?
    Hi Tipsy.

Not 100% sure.

You could try a factory rest and this should un-pair it.

I'll see if I can find the manual online and see if it mentions in it.

Sorted, just needed to pair sky control with the TV.

Sorted, just needed to pair sky control with the TV.
    Ah... Glad your sorted Tipsy :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.