Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Infraction without justification or logic

Options
  • 05-01-2019 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm engaged in a lively (yes contentious) discussion on the Leinster Rugby Forum concerning the red card issued to James Lowe against Munster last week.

The consensus from other posters is that the card was justified but I point to a number of factors including the referee being from Munster and some technical stuff about the nature of the offense. I suggest that the red card was harsh and that the citing panel might be of similar view. My opinion is ridiculed by numerous posters.

Sure enough the panel ruling on Thursday is for only a two week ban - half the mandatory sentence and in my view was given as the bare minimum to allow the referee's decision to be justified. I posit that this may be have been the result of a "plea bargain" to allow all parties some measure of satisfaction.

My posts (all factual, evidence based and citing the specifics of the incident) are subject to further ridicule, including derogatory pictures.

As I continue the exchanges with one or two posters, I am ordered to stop and receive an infraction for trolling. No matter that the citing panel ruling was only a matter of hours previously and not a single post, sentence or phrase I used could be described as trolling. No matter also I had been the subject of humorous but derogatory posts, none of which were acted upon by the moderator.

My conclusion is that I have been penalised for being right and in doing so, I pissed off the moderator and his mates.

Laughable really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The first step in the DRP process is to attempt to resolve the matter with the moderator in a one-to-one nature discussion. Can you confirm if you have attempted to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

dudara wrote:
    The first step in the DRP process is to attempt to resolve the matter with the moderator in a one-to-one nature discussion. Can you confirm if you have attempted to do this?

Yes

When did you try to do this, and what was the result?

dudara wrote:
    When did you try to do this, and what was the result?

Yesterday and the Mod said the infraction stands.

Thanks very much for confirming. I’ll escalate to a CMod now.

Please have the PM conversation with the mod ready to share. You can post it here or else PM to the CMod when they come along.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote:
    Please have the PM conversation with the mod ready to share. You can post it here or else PM to the CMod when they come along.

Thanks but what does the PM have to do with anything? The infraction was for posts that are in the public domain.

The CMod will ask you & the mod to share the conversation you had with the mod in your effort to resolve the issue.

dudara wrote:
    The CMod will ask you & the mod to share the conversation you had with the mod in your effort to resolve the issue.

OK but the issue isn't really about my conversation with the Mod.

I was engaged in discussion with various posters when the Mod interjected himself, ordered me to stop and issued an infraction.

I think the Mod needs to explain his actions before it goes anywhere else.

A CMod will take the next steps and determine if the action against you should be upheld or not. Please wait for a CMod.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi, I'll take a look.

I need you to forward me the pm discussion (or post here ) with the mod as the first step.

I will also ask the same of the mod.

• Advertisement

Steve wrote: »
    Hi, I'll take a look.

I need you to forward me the pm discussion (or post here ) with the mod as the first step.

I will also ask the same of the mod.

Maybe get it from the Mod because I can find little of the stuff I sent to him. I made three attempts to answer, including a list of the points I had been making and asking which of them constituted trolling. I don't know if the Mod got that but I got no answer and it doesn't appear in the PMs.

By the way, the discussion in question took place across two threads; the first was the Munster v Leinster match thread and then it continued in the Leinster thread (when another poster again brought up the Red Card.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

First Up wrote: »
    So I'm engaged in a lively (yes contentious) discussion on the Leinster Rugby Forum concerning the red card issued to James Lowe against Munster last week.

The consensus from other posters is that the card was justified but I point to a number of factors including the referee being from Munster and some technical stuff about the nature of the offense. I suggest that the red card was harsh and that the citing panel might be of similar view. My opinion is ridiculed by numerous posters.

Sure enough the panel ruling on Thursday is for only a two week ban - half the mandatory sentence and in my view was given as the bare minimum to allow the referee's decision to be justified. I posit that this may be have been the result of a "plea bargain" to allow all parties some measure of satisfaction.

My posts (all factual, evidence based and citing the specifics of the incident) are subject to further ridicule, including derogatory pictures.

As I continue the exchanges with one or two posters, I am ordered to stop and receive an infraction for trolling. No matter that the citing panel ruling was only a matter of hours previously and not a single post, sentence or phrase I used could be described as trolling. No matter also I had been the subject of humorous but derogatory posts, none of which were acted upon by the moderator.

My conclusion is that I have been penalised for being right and in doing so, I pissed off the moderator and his mates.

Laughable really.
    Hi First Up,
    I've looked into some of your posts on this and am finding it hard to be unbiased as I am both a Leinster supporter and agree with the citation. I will step back and ask another less interested CMod to look at it.

Steve wrote:
    Hi First Up, I've looked into some of your posts on this and am finding it hard to be unbiased as I am both a Leinster supporter and agree with the citation. I will step back and ask another less interested CMod to look at it.

Thanks; I know I am in a minority around here as regards the red card decision but I dispute how my argument about it and related issues can be called trolling.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hi First Up,

Apologies for the delay. I'm taking over from Steve on this one and I'll try and have a look at it over the weekend.

I'm not familiar with the incident being discussed nor do I read the Rugby forum much so please bear with me until I familiarise myself with the lead up to the infraction.

Mickeroo wrote:
    Hi First Up,

Mickeroo wrote:
    Apologies for the delay. I'm taking over from Steve on this one and I'll try and have a look at it over the weekend.

Mickeroo wrote:

Ah forget it. I've made my point and I'm not losing any sleep over it. If your Mods can't tell the difference between a valid discussion and trolling, I think its your problem more than mine.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sure thing, I'll get the admins to mark this as resolved then.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sure thing, I'll get the admins to mark this as resolved then.

You can suit yourselves on that.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Thanks to all parties for reaching an amicable resolution.

Marking as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement