Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 yr/old drag kid worshiped within LGBTQ community (Mod warning op)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Oh I know it's not just conservatives who have a problem with it. I'm to the left socially too - I think drag can be great craic (love Drag Race :D) and if a boy is into dressing up girly, I think it would be horrible to force that out of him.

Yeah this, like those child beauty pageants, is just bleak.

Muckka wrote: »
    Do you not think, it's a bit much for a young lad to be in drag ?
    Just trying on girls clothes around the house - of his own accord, nothing to do with encouragement - is very different to his parents bringing this into the public and making him into a cash cow, including at adult night clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Muckka wrote: »
    Do you not think, it's a bit much for a young lad to be in drag ?

Drag is nothing more than dress up turned into an art form.

I have no more issue with boys wanting to wear a frock as dress up than I have with girls wanting to wear an Ironman suit.

My grandkids had a full on dress up weekend about 2 years ago and had a great laugh mixing and matching bits of different costumes. For about an hour my then 7 year old grandson was prancing around in his sister's flamenco outfit (dress, shoes, fan - the works) while she was dressed as the BatHulk. Everyone laughed themselves silly because it was fun and funny.

He's 9 now and desperate to have a go in his sister's Princess Merida from Brave's costume - she won't let him because even though she is 12 and faaar tooo grown up now dontcherknow to wear it it's her good costume (it is very good - of cosplay standard).
    He wants to wear it while doing archery in the garden. I would be very surprised, tbh, if he's gay. He just loves playing dress-up. Always has. For his 8th birthday he went riding while dressed as a Jedi Knight.
    I see no reason to stifle his imagination.

When my (very heterosexual) brother was a teenager he decided to get dressed in my grandmother's old lady clothes and join the 'free travel ladies' at the bus stop for a laugh. He had such a blast he did it until he got caught when my grandmother recognized her good coat.

It's dress up. It's imagination. It's playing.

How can that be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Genuine question, is the mod warning on this thread a joke? A great exercise in the use of verbs so kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,537 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Genuine question, is the mod warning on this thread a joke? A great exercise in the use of adjectives so kudos.

I read it earlier and I think the mod was just trying to cover as many bases as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

I'd like to know what Rory O'Neill thinks of this.

As in will he separate right from wrong.

The issues of LGBT community are one thing, totally separate from this issue. This is an issue of child abuse. If Rory goes down the line of self expression etc I think he'll be doing the LGBT people in society harm.

My female friend dressed up as a boy all the time in games with other kids. "Tomboy" isn't viewed as problematic.

This is another level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Drag is nothing more than dress up turned into an art form.

I have no issue with boys wanting to wear a frock as dress up than I have with girls wanting to wear an Ironman suit.

My grandkids had a full on dress up weekend about 2 years ago and had a great laugh mixing and matching bits of different costumes. For about an hour my then 7 year old grandson was prancing around in his sister's flamenco outfit (dress, shoes, fan - the works) while she was dressed as the BatHulk. Everyone laughed themselves silly because it was fun and funny.

He's 9 now and desperate to have a go in his sister's Princess Merida from Brave's costume - she won't let him because even though she is 12 and faaar tooo grown up now dontcherknow to wear it it's her good costume (it is very good - of cosplay standard).
    He wants to wear it while doing archery in the garden. I would be very surprised, tbh, if he's gay. He just loves playing dress-up. Always has. For his 8th birthday he went riding while dressed as a Jedi Knight.
    I see no reason to stifle his imagination.

When my (very heterosexual brother) was a teenager he decided to get dressed in my grandmother's old lady clothes and join the 'free travel ladies' at the bus stop for a laugh. He had such a blast he did it until he got caught when my grandmother recognized her good coat.

It's dress up. It's imagination. It's playing.

How can that be wrong?

It's wrong when it's a small child who doesn't understand what being sexy means or might illicit in another person is up dancing in a sexual manner for hoardes of adults.
    It's at best exploitation of a small child by disregarding their safety and dignity for entertainment, at worst it's using their innocence to play into the sexual fantasies of those who might wish to normalise the sexualization of small children.

It's nothing like dress up at home or experimentation at home in a safe environment when they're doing it for themselves, for fun or even identity exploration. That is fine. This is blatant exploitation.

It's wrong when it's a small child who doesn't understand what being sexy means or might illicit in another person is up dancing in a sexual manner for hoardes of adults.
    It's at best exploitation of a small child by disregarding their safety and dignity for entertainment, at worst it's using their innocence to play into the sexual fantasies of those who might wish to normalise the sexualization of small children.

It's nothing like dress up at home or experimentation at home in a safe environment when they're doing it for themselves, for fun or even identity exploration. That is fine. This is blatant exploitation.

Firstly he's 11 not a 'small child' but apart from that I have already said I think his performing in a nightclub is not appropriate, and ranted previously in this thread about the sexualisation of children.

But the post you quoted was in response to being asked if I thought boys dressing in drag at home was ok - and I do. Because it's just dress-up with a bit of performance thrown in. Same as if they are dressed as Batman and go around pretending to be Batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Grinchbot wrote:
    Mod- Thread reopened. Keep it civil please.

Fair play you have your work cut out for you and you ain't getting paid .

• Advertisement

Firstly he's 11 not a 'small child' but apart from that I have already said I think his performing in a nightclub is not appropriate, and ranted previously in this thread about the sexualisation of children.

But the post you quoted was in response to being asked if I thought boys dressing in drag at home was ok - and I do. Because it's just dress-up with a bit of performance thrown in. Same as if they are dressed as Batman and go around pretending to be Batman.

Fair enough, let them do what they want at home. I'd prefer to think they're playing Pantomine dame sort of drag rather than a twerking, rolling on the ground panting "sexy" drag like I've seen some of these kids do though. I wouldn't like to see that at home or anywhere.

I disagree on one point. 11 is a small child. It's a prepubescent child. They need just as much protection in this sort of situation as a younger child. I'm surprised you'd parse that out. At 11 they are not possessed of a midset that can comprehend what it's like to illicit sexual feelings in another person or one that is in any position to reciprocate that with a fully grown adult. They can't understand the potential danger they're being placed in, both in terms of their physical safety or the emotional toll it takes on personal development to learn as a child that your value lies in parading a vulgar sexuality that isn't even your own.

It's just too appalling. We would never even be having this conversation about a girl, thank God, but we shouldn't be having it about boys either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,516 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Can I just say, as a gay man, I find it unsettling that this child is performing in this way. I find kids being forced to tell sob stories on x factor unsettling also. I find it bizzar that any gay bar in the western world would entertain hosting this as entertainment. It's something I've seen plenty of it in poor countries. The comments here about 'horny gay men' going after the kids. These comments, whether you realise it or not, being straight people and all and probably not really understanding the impact fully, are DEVISTATING to those gay boys specifically in their teenage years who already hate themselves enough for the way they feel sexually. Is it not a cruel enough world as it is? Have straight people with their vicious comments not already encouraged enough kids to off themselves? Please grow up and be more responsible for the things you say in public(this is public by the way).

cgcsb wrote:
    Can I just say, as a gay man, I find it unsettling that this child is performing in this way. I find kids being forced to tell sob stories on x factor unsettling also. I find it bizzar that any gay bar in the western world would entertain hosting this as entertainment. It's something I've seen plenty of it in poor countries. The comments here about 'horny gay men' going after the kids. These comments, whether you realise it or not, being straight people and all and probably not really understanding the impact fully, are DEVISTATING to those gay boys specifically in their teenage years who already hate themselves enough for the way they feel sexually. Is it not a cruel enough world as it is? Have straight people with their vicious comments not already encouraged enough kids to off themselves? Please grow up and be more responsible for the things you say in public(this is public by the way).

You were doing so well until you went on to the whataboutery rant . A child is being abused end of. No right no wrong no grey area , it's quite simple.

cgcsb wrote: »

Well said Sir. We have to be careful how we phrase our condemnation.

There's enough problems with suicide etc without putting teenagers off speaking about their sexuality.

I think 2 words sum up this 'Desmond is Amazing' case. CHILD ABUSE

Fair enough, let them do what they want at home. I'd prefer to think they're playing Pantomine dame sort of drag than twerking rolling on the ground panting "sexy" drag like I've seen some of these kids do though. I wouldn't like to see that at home or anywhere.

I disagree on one point. 11 is a small child. It's a prepubescent child. They need just as much protection in this sort of situation as a younger child. I'm surprised you'd parse that out. At 11 they are not possessed of a midset that can comprehend what it's like to illicit sexual feelings in another person or one that is in any position to reciprocate that with a fully grown adult. They can't understand the potential danger they're being placed in, both in terms of their physical safety or the emotional toll it takes on personal development to learn as a child that your value lies in parading a vulgar sexuality that isn't even your own.

It's just too appalling. We would never even be having this conversation about a girl, thank God, but we shouldn't be having it about boys either.

For me a small child would be from 2-5 maybe 7 at the upmost - it's the word small. I'm not disputing he's a child. I just don't think he's a small child but I do agree he needs protection and guidance, probably more as he starts to get closer to the fought hormonal teenage years.

As a general comment, I am finding it somewhat ironic how people here are getting so worked up about an 11 year old being a child who therefore doesn't fully understand the implications of his actions while in the thread discussing the film about James Bulger's killers people are insisting the 2 10 year olds were fully aware of their actions and are as completely responsible as if they were adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

https://desmondisamazing.com

What a load of self indulgent and self serving bullshıt, "dressed up" in the language of an 11yr old child
    Its child abuse to be exploiting a kid like this for a few bob.
    Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,516 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You were doing so well until you went on to the whataboutery rant . A child is being abused end of. No right no wrong no grey area , it's quite simple.

Yeah yeah. You need to check the comments on this thread and put yourself in the position of a teenage boy who is gay. These are exceptionally vicious and they're not unusual for the type of thing that was floating around when I was a kid. I had thought society had moved on but evidently there's still bigots out there waxing lyrical about 'horny gay men'.

Also this child looks thin, malnourished and dark under the eyes. Is it any wonder if he's 'performing' at 4am.

A point, which is irrelevant, but noteworthy is he's far from the most articulate, bubbliest child I've seen. He's not a great dancer. All that separates him is he's a child in drag and his parents are exploiting this ..'novelty'.

cgcsb wrote:
    Yeah yeah. You need to check the comments on this thread and put yourself in the position of a teenage boy who is gay. These are exceptionally vicious and they're not unusual for the type of thing that was floating around when I was a kid. I had thought society had moved on but evidently there's still bigots out there waxing lyrical about 'horny gay men'.

The thread is about an eleven year old child not a teenager, being manipulated by his parents.

The thread is about an eleven year old child not a teenager, being manipulated by his parents.
    I don't think cgcsb is disputing that or that this is extremely wrong - just that the conflating of male homosexuality with paedophilia is out of line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I've just read through this thread and some of the thinly veiled attempts to justify a child being abused is truly sickening. The lgbtq community should be disgusted by this. They seem to be offended by everything and ashamed of nothing. Disgraceful!

cgcsb wrote: »

I fully agree with you about the untrue suggestion that Gay men in general find children attractive. That's an abhorrent notion and absolutely not true. It's also however untrue to say that there are no paedophiles in any given sector of society including the gay community and when you see hundreds of men cheering on a small child doing this sort of an act its very difficult to believe that those particular men are getting no kicks from it, they've at best lost any sense of what's an appropriate way to treat a child. It might be predicated on the justification that they're supporting a burgeoning sexuality and self expression, but this is no way to foster a child in that position. If it were just one club that might be one thing, but these kids are taking on icon status. I Googled two names and found several references to them in the pink Times for example. I totally feel for Gay teenagers, and I can imagine how upsetting this sort of story is for gay people of all ages, but the answer is not to refuse to question the behaviour lest people be hurt, the answer is to stop the behaviour. To boycott clubs and publications that popularise these "stars", to stand out on social media by highlighting the issue as abuse, because we are defined by what we refuse to tolerate just as much as what we will fight for. This doesn't need to be gay people vs straight people, or normal people vs bigoted people, this needs to be people who believe in protecting children vs those willing to abuse them. We can't afford to obfuscate the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Weather we like it or not and believe me I ****ing hate it! Stuff like this is almost the norm now and it's only gonna get worse the more time we allow "progress" to happen.

That kids parents are ****ed in the head and I'm sure we will come across plenty of it in Irish schools over the next few years seeing as where all so excepting and understanding embracing equality these days....

Society has went down a very dangerous path and the thing is it's not just the wackos over in America anymore where right slap bang in the middle of it here now to!

I've just read through this thread and some of the thinly veiled attempts to justify a child being abused is truly sickening. The lgbtq community should be disgusted by this. They seem to be offended by everything and ashamed of nothing. Disgraceful!

If you have read through this thread you will see that several members of the LGBT community, myself included, have condemned this in the strongest possible terms.

Do you want us to issue a press release?

How about you turn your ire at the people conflating male homosexuality and paedophilia here?

Should the straight community be disgusted by this?

Bannasidhe wrote:
    How about you turn your ire at the people conflating male homosexuality and paedophilia here?

That's not what the thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

https://desmondisamazing.com

What a load of self indulgent and self serving bullshıt, "dressed up" in the language of an 11yr old child
    Its child abuse to be exploiting a kid like this for a few bob.
    Jesus Christ.

Ffs. I automatically just gave that a click. That stuff is child exploitation. I feel sick I glanced at it.
    Jimmy would have loved todays Internet accessibility.

cursai wrote:
    Ffs. I automatically just gave that a click. That stuff is child exploitation. I feel sick I glanced at it. Jimmy would have loved todays Internet accessibility.

You're just a somethingaphobe. Check your damn privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

It's the linking of homosexuality to paedophilia. It's very common.
    The Roman Catholic Church do it quite often. Every so often some Bishop or Cardinal will pop up and blame the gays for clerical child abuses.

here is the thing though...

I wouldn't link homosexuality to paedophilia at all BUT if this crap is linked and accepted into LGB without much uproar and civil war from the LGB crowd...then I'd have doubts.

Posters who commented in this thread about horny gay men watching this kid are playing the same card.

if it were a young girl dancing for drunk fellas in the same vein of the same age people would be as disgusted. Stop pretending otherwise in order to play the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Grinchbot wrote: »
    Mod- For fück sake guys, stop feeding the damn trolls. Locked for another clean up.

How do you define a troll in this thread? Because one of your own moderators, Brian, has some fairly abhorrent views. Does he count? And if so does that make him an appropriate person to moderate other threads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

People please, we all knew this was the next step, then it’s Polygamy, then it’s onto people who “love” their pets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement