Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 yr/old drag kid worshiped within LGBTQ community (Mod warning op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Zorya wrote: »
    Jacinta, check out this bunch, Glitter Hole they're called, look at that awesome logo, they'd be perfect for the toddlers. :)

ah Jaz, we've doubles booked them with strippers for Jesus :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

For what? This isn't even the first time the group has been invited and done a reading in the same place. Never any other issues with age appropriateness or safety concerns raised by attending parents/ guardians - by all accounts it was a hugely popular and successful event. Why all of a sudden is it a problem?
    because people found out what their alter ego was presumably

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

splashuum wrote: »
    The fact that a convicted child rapist was allowed perform “drag queen story time” at a library in the states is pretty telling.

Allowing this to go on is creating an open door for paedo’s to embrace and get close to their sick fantasy’s with no consequences.

Yes lets equate an american incident to one here.

If we're going down that road then ban all priests from being in a room with a child, sure aren't they all the same? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

because people found out what their alter ego was presumably

So what? Nobody gave 2 sh*ts when ACTORS like Tom Hardy etc - known predominately for acting in violent and highly sexualised films for adults - do CBeebies storytime. Performers are performers are performers.

Yes lets equate an american incident to one here.

Klaaz was the one who did that, equating some posters as having similar opinions about drag artists reading to children.

• Advertisement

So what? Nobody gave 2 sh*ts when ACTORS like Tom Hardy etc - known predominately for acting in violent and highly sexualised films for adults - do CBeebies storytime. Performers are performers are performers.
    democracy's a bitch. is Glitter Hole really the best placed Pride advocacy group for small children? Surly we can do better.

democracy's a bitch. is Glitter Hole really the best placed Pride advocacy group for small children? Surly we can do better.

Ok then. If the exact same performers, with the exact same experience in doing these readings for the kids in libraries was called something else, would you have the same problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Costume, expression, why not? Why would soemone dress up as a robot or an animal? Or a pirate? Or an alien? Or a teletubby?

Why does it HAVE to be done in traditional, conservative clothing? And if your answer is "it doesn't" then you've answered your own question.

But surely men dress up in drag, as women, for a sexual kick?
    Otherwise why would they bother.

I'm related to and know a number of gay people but they have no time for drag acts so can't answer the above question.

Ok then. If the exact same performers, with the exact same experience in doing these readings for the kids in libraries was called something else, would you have the same problem?

the name is not the issue although it dosnt help.

would i have an issue if Roy Chubby Brown changed his name to Uncle Cuddles and wanted to read to kids? yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,775 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

ellejay wrote: »

I'm related to and know a number of gay people but they have no time for drag acts so can't answer the above question.
    I think you are confusing cross dressers for drag queens.

Why would they bother? I would say in some cases for money, for attention who knows, maybe they enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Costume, expression, why not? Why would soemone dress up as a robot or an animal? Or a pirate? Or an alien? Or a teletubby?

Why does it HAVE to be done in traditional, conservative clothing? And if your answer is "it doesn't" then you've answered your own question.

So a man not in a dress is conservative now?

Bit of a difference to a chap from an established childrens entertainment group reading 3 little pigs in a little bo peep outfit, to members of an adult drag group, whose prompotional material include a person in what appears to a large foam vagina (could be a penis, its very badly made) with "Gay Agenda" emblazoned accross a stage, diversifying into library readings to celebrate gay pride.

ellejay wrote: »

Drag is not about sexual kicks. It's a form of performance often engaged to critically explore how gender norms effect society. Ok, that's quite an academic explanation but most folks who perform in drag would give you a similar kind of answer.

You're conflating drag as a performance art with cross-dressing, which often does have a sexual element. Most drag artists I know don't get anything sexual out of performing, although part of drag performances you'd typically see at adult oriented events like bars etc. have some element of adult humour involved because adults like sex humour. It's not appropriate for kids so why would you do that, if you're a competent professional performer?

Also, please remember that drag is not just men performing as a woman. It also includes women performing as men. The drag king community in Ireland is currently experiencing something of a growth spurt. I've performed as a king for a number of years now, along with my other hobbies and volunteer work. I have never once performed anything that could be called a sexualised act. All my performances are based on silly comedy, that would be more than suitable for kids, tbh. It's adult dress up.

Drag is not about sexual kicks. It's a form of performance often engaged to critically explore how gender norms effect society. Ok, that's quite an academic explanation but most folks who perform in drag would give you a similar kind of answer.

Well Glitter Hole could knock a phd or two out critically exporing how gender norms affect society in DLR coco.

Well Glitter Hole could knock a phd or two out critically exporing how gender norms affect society in DLR coco.

Probably. Most of the Glitter Hole troupe are incredibly intelligent. ;)

maybe they can move the event to the cultural centre in clonskeagh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just scrap the entire idea

Let the “fierce” drag queens “slay” at their nightclubs etc for over 18s

Let the kids be entertained by age appropriate story tellers who are garda vetted

Everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

maybe they can move the event to the cultural centre in clonskeagh

That would be quite something

Let the kids be entertained by age appropriate story tellers who are garda vetted
    What has the age of the story teller got to do with it?
    What age would be appropriate?
    I am sure the library were going to follow the same procedures they would with any outside group.

That would be quite something
    well if anywhere needs some Pride advocacy

Probably. Most of the Glitter Hole troupe are incredibly intelligent. ;)

Maybe not as smart as they think they are! They didnt see this coming

(Or they did, and they're smarter than i think)

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    What has the age of the story teller got to do with it?
    What age would be appropriate?
    I am sure the library were going to follow the same procedures they would with any outside group.

Oh dear

Oh dear
    Is there any point at all to your response?
    If you have nothing at all to add there isnt any need to chip in.

everytime i try to kill some time on the internet i see this kind of thing exploding out of all corners

and then i look up and yknow theres none of it happening anywhere irl

its a funny thing, what seems to be a huge priority to people on the internet

oh well

Maybe not as smart as they think they are! They didnt see this coming

(Or they did, and they're smarter than i think)

Didn't see what coming, exactly?

Again, the library approached the group on foot of successful previous events to do a reading for their Pride celebrations. The group said yes.

Then, there was a large backlash on social media, to which the library then decided to cancel the event due to physical safety concerns for all involved, in particular staff and performers due to the online abuse being dished out to both. The group said fair enough.

The library then put out a statement which contradicted the reason they had suggested cancelling the event (saying it was due to child protection issues), and then amended that to reflect their original reason for cancellation after the group themselves made a statement highlighting the misinformation.

You make it sound like there was some nefarious plan on behalf of the group to get access to kids and they got 'caught out'. That's plainly not what happened even slightly.

and then i look up and yknow theres none of it happening anywhere irl

It was happening in real life. That was the problem.

It was happening in real life. That was the problem.

And 'it' had happened a number of previous times to positive reviews from all involved - including actual parents of actual children who actually saw what the performance was about - and oh look, the sky hadn't fallen in.

And 'it' had happened a number of previous times to positive reviews from all involved - including actual parents of actual children who actually saw what the performance was about - and oh look, the sky hadn't fallen in.

For what it's worth, I would be against drag artists who have a reputation for bawdy adult material reading to children while in drag. I just don't think it is appropriate and it's unnecessary. I don't think 3-7 year olds should be overtly exposed to ideas such as gender fluidity/opposing gender norms.

However, I am against it being shut down. I just wouldn't bring my child. I'm sure there are plenty of progressive or "woke" parents who would enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

You're conflating drag as a performance art with cross-dressing, which often does have a sexual element. Most drag artists I know don't get anything sexual out of performing, although part of drag performances you'd typically see at adult oriented events like bars etc. have some element of adult humour involved because adults like sex humour. It's not appropriate for kids so why would you do that, if you're a competent professional performer?

Also, please remember that drag is not just men performing as a woman. It also includes women performing as men. The drag king community in Ireland is currently experiencing something of a growth spurt. I've performed as a king for a number of years now, along with my other hobbies and volunteer work. I have never once performed anything that could be called a sexualised act. All my performances are based on silly comedy, that would be more than suitable for kids, tbh. It's adult dress up.

I didn't realise I was confusing the two.
    My understanding is drag queens are gay men garishly dressed as women who perform, whereas cross dressers are predominantly gay men (some arguably straight men also) dress up as women but do actually want to be perceived as female. They're usually on the road to changing gender.

Please correct if that's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

I don't think 3-7 year olds should be overtly exposed to ideas such as gender fluidity/opposing gender norms.

What ideas are against the "gender norms"?

• Advertisement

Drag is pretty much the antithesis of gender norms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement