Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 yr/old drag kid worshiped within LGBTQ community (Mod warning op)

Options

Comments

Hopefully your children won't grow up.as homophobic as you are.

Excuse me? It's homophobic to not want an adult drag troupe to read to my daughter?

I was unaware that all people who do drag are gay?

Or did you assume that?

You have a cheek to bandy around accusations of homophobia.

That's disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Excuse me? It's homophobic to not want an adult drag troupe to read to my daughter?

If your objection is purely on the basis that it's a man in drag then yeah. Most drag acts are homosexual men, drag was born out of the gay clubs.

If you object to your child hearing something inappropriate then fair enough but this is story time in a children's library....what do you think they are going to read???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

eviltwin wrote: »
    ...a man in drag...

b220fcb77bf97ec782ff62c59d9377c4.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Or did you assume that?

That's disgusting.

No, using the word Queer to describe them makes you homophobic.

No, using the word Queer to describe them makes you homophobic.

Hahahaha. Excuse me? That is how glitter hole describe themselves.

"Glitter HOLE is a DIY drag collective, a queer feminist performance space and a bit of a laugh"

From their Facebook.

So are they homophobic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Or did you assume that?

That's disgusting.

And in other news Charlize Theron is raising her adopted son as a girl because he told her he was a girl when he was three

And in other news Charlize Theron is raising her adopted son as a girl because he told her he was a girl when he was three

That I understand. I'll respond in more detail in a minute, I've to go out to the stable to feed my unicorn. Up until last year it was my daughter but she knows better than me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Because children shouldn't have to worry about the minutiae of gender politics.

Gender norms to me are not an issue. Couldn't care less what grown people do. I just don't want my children to be worried about queer feminists and their opinions.

They won’t worry about it unless it’s made an issue for them.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

So what?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    So what?

The mind boggles..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

So what?

Because HE is a MALE infant with Male aesthetics.

Male.

Child.

F*cked up.

A CHILD in the public eye that will be harassed by the media now because of his idiotic mother treating HIM like her own toy to play around with in the name of publicity for the rest of his life.

Brian? wrote:
    They won’t worry about it unless it’s made an issue for them.

I agree. So let's not have a troupe of adult drag performers making it an issue by reading for them in drag.

It's unnecessary.

Brian? wrote:
    So what?

If you think this is ok and see nothing alarming about this then there is genuinely no hope of a reasonable back and forth with you

I can't decide whether that makes you sexist, homophobic, transphobic or a body shamer.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell you.

Male.

Child.

F*cked up.

A CHILD in the public eye that will be harassed by the media now because of his idiotic mother treating HIM like her own toy to play around with in the name of publicity for the rest of his life.

That’s a keen insight into the entire situation, you’ve come based on in depth knowledge of the situation I assume? You know the Therons well?

Or you’ve jumped to a conclusion based on your own ideas.

they/them/theirs

I agree. So let's not have a troupe of adult drag performers making it an issue by reading for them in drag.

It's unnecessary.

They’re not the ones making it an issue. You are.

they/them/theirs

I can't decide whether that makes you sexist, homophobic, transphobic or a body shamer.

None of.

The issue is the aspect that this boy was a 3 year old kid when Theron "claims" he made the life changing decision to be a girl.

I don’t like to throw words like those around. I think “ bigoted reactionary “ is a fairly decent catch-all term for this type of thing.

they/them/theirs

That’s a keen insight into the entire situation, you’ve come based on in depth knowledge of the situation I assume? You know the Therons well?

Or you’ve jumped to a conclusion based on your own ideas.

I am guessing you are the thread devils advocate, yes?

If you think this is ok and see nothing alarming about this then there is genuinely no hope of a reasonable back and forth with you

I think I don’t know anywhere near enough about it to come to a reasonable conclusion on the subject. I’m a simple man that way. I like to actually know information about something before making a judgement. I know it’s crazy, but I can’t help it.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I am guessing you are the thread devils advocate, yes?

No. I was attempting to be a voice of reason. I don’t think the reactions on this thread are commensurate with the topics being discussed.

I believe a lot of people are having unnecessary negative reactions based on fear of the unknown and learned bias against gay and transgender people.

I’d like it if people actually stopped and thought about why things were wrong, instead of repeating that they are wrong because they’re wrong.

But if you want, I’ll leave you all to agree that drag artists are disgusting.

they/them/theirs

No. I was attempting to be a voice of reason. I don’t think the reactions on this thread are commensurate with the topics being discussed.

I believe a lot of people are having unnecessary negative reactions based on fear of the unknown and learned bias against gay and transgender people.

I’d like it if people actually stopped and thought about why things were wrong, instead of repeating that they are wrong because they’re wrong.

I was talking about Charlize Theron adopting a little boy and immediately dressing him up and treating him as a girl.

Stop putting words in my mouth in such a horrible tone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hahahaha. Excuse me? That is how glitter hole describe themselves.

"Glitter HOLE is a DIY drag collective, a queer feminist performance space and a bit of a laugh"

From their Facebook.

So are they homophobic?

When they use it it's fine when you use it it's homophobic. Would you use the word Ni**er around a black person because a black artist uses it?

I was talking about Charlize Theron adopting a little boy and immediately dressing him up and treating him as a girl.

Stop putting words in my mouth in such a horrible tone.

I apologise. That was the discussion ongoing when you interjected the comment about the Theron family.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:

I don't. I just don't think a drag troupe is suitable for children. I've said on numerous occasions that I have no issue with it happening but I would be against my child going and would be outspoken about my opposition.

Brian? wrote:

Literally nobody has said that.
    When they use it it's fine when you use it it's homophobic. Would you use the word Ni**er around a black person because a black artist uses it?

Cool. So I better not acknowledge them for fear of being branded a homophobe. Do I leave the Q out of LGBTQ as well? What are the rules?

This is the type of absolute crap that boils my piss. I have word for word described them as they described themselves. Yet I am a homophobe and they are the victims of discrimination?

For acknowledging and accepting what they identify as? So I have to accept what they identify as but not mention it because it's their word?

Ask. My. Hole.

I don't. I just don't think a drag troupe is suitable for children. I've said on numerous occasions that I have no issue with it happening but I would be against my child going and would be outspoken about my opposition.

So you are making an issue out of it for your child. You’ve created a taboo. You think it’s inherently wrong for your child to see a drag artist.

Why?
    Literally nobody has said that.

Yep. They have.

they/them/theirs

And yes. I would. If a black person in my social circle insisted on referring to himself as a ******, I would have no qualms about addressing them as such.

I wouldn't use those words to offend, but I don't think any word should be banned for some people only to be allowed to be used by a certain group.

That's absolutely mental.

And yes. I would. If a black person in my social circle insisted on referring to himself as a ******, I would have no qualms about addressing them as such.

I wouldn't use those words to offend, but I don't think any word should be banned for some people only to be allowed to be used by a certain group.

That's absolutely mental.

I actually agree. It’s the intent that’s important.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:
    So you are making an issue out of it for your child. You’ve created a taboo. You think it’s inherently wrong for your child to see a drag artist.

I said that any adult group of drag artists (and especially ones that identify as queer feminists) would be something I would definitely not approve of my daughter seeing.

I also would not like her to go to a Chippendale's rendition of Frozen or a Freddy Krueger retelling of Spiderman, regardless of how they adapted their act.

Would I object to a chippendale or Robert Englund do those things out of character? Not at all. If they made no reference to their alter egos, I'd be fine with it.

Some things are for kids, some things are for grown ups. I'm ok not letting the two mix.

That is not creating a taboo. That is parenting.

• Advertisement

I said that any adult group of drag artists (and especially ones that identify as queer feminists) would be something I would definitely not approve of my daughter seeing.

I also would not like her to go to a Chippendale's rendition of Frozen or a Freddy Krueger retelling of Spiderman, regardless of how they adapted their act.

Would I object to a chippendale or Robert Englund do those things out of character? Not at all. If they made no reference to their alter egos, I'd be fine with it.

Some things are for kids, some things are for grown ups. I'm ok not letting the two mix.

That is not creating a taboo. That is parenting.

Again, you’re telling me what you find objectionable, not why.

To me parenting isn’t insulating and protecting. It’s explaining and accepting. I wouldn’t be happy to have my kids see their adult act, it would be too confusing to them at this age. I would have zero problem bringing them to see a story read at a library though. If the queens got inappropriate I’d be pissed off as anyone. But I don’t see anything wrong with them reading a story in drag.

they/them/theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement