Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 yr/old drag kid worshiped within LGBTQ community (Mod warning op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Brian? wrote: »
    That’s a keen insight into the entire situation, you’ve come based on in depth knowledge of the situation I assume? You know the Therons well?

Or you’ve jumped to a conclusion based on your own ideas.

Have you got exclusive info on the matter?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Have you got exclusive info on the matter?

None. Zero. Which is why I’m not jumping to a judgment, unlike other posters.

To be honest, it’s none of my business.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote:
    Again, you’re telling me what you find objectionable, not why.

Because there is a world of difference (as I said earlier) between Alan from Morning AM dressed as the widow twanky and a group of self professed Queer Feminists entertaining children.

If at night your act involves putting satanic symbols on dolls and the next morning you want to come read for my daughter, I'll err on the side of caution thanks.

I'm not shielding my daughter or preventing her from experiencing the world. I'm choosing what is and what isn't appropriate.

Because there is a world of difference (as I said earlier) between Alan from Morning AM dressed as the widow twanky and a group of self professed Queer Feminists entertaining children.

If at night your act involves putting satanic symbols on dolls and the next morning you want to come read for my daughter, I'll err on the side of caution thanks.

I'm not shielding my daughter or preventing her from experiencing the world. I'm choosing what is and what isn't appropriate.

And I disagree with you. But that’s grand, I’m not here to tell you what to think. I am trying to understand why you think it and hope you might see things differently.

Have you ever read any accounts of growing up transgender or gay in Catholic Ireland? I want to teach my kids to accept themselves and not torture themselves because they feel they are not “normal”. Be very wary about it.

I’ll leave it there, we politely disagree.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

To me parenting isn’t insulating and protecting. It’s explaining and accepting.

Primary function of parents is to protect and provide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

So what exactly is your point here? Are you merely here to tell us because you have no real opinion on most of these issues, no knowledge, don't feel like it is your business we should all be the of the same mentality?

Brian? wrote:
    Have you ever read any accounts of growing up transgender or gay in Catholic Ireland? I want to teach my kids to accept themselves and not torture themselves because they feel they are not “normalâ€. Be very wary about it.

I have. This is a very different era now though. I wouldn't want a harkening back to Catholic era Ireland but I also am very hesitant to accept ultra progressive "with us or against us" Ireland.

Neither is healthy.
    Brian? wrote:
    I’ll leave it there, we politely disagree.

Absolutely. I respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

honestly let the kids wear what they want, you dont see these drag kids behaving like these dirtbags:

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gang-north-dublin-threw-stones-16142279

El_Bee wrote:
    honestly let the kids wear what they want, you dont see these drag kids behaving like these dirtbags:

What?

El_Bee wrote: »

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/gang-north-dublin-threw-stones-16142279

If you qualified this by saying that the reason these kids done this was because their parents wouldn't allow them to be drag artists, you may be verging on a valid point but otherwise it is an absolutely nonsense comparison.

• Advertisement

Primary function of parents is to protect and provide.

2 primary functions?

Accepting and explaining is protecting them.

they/them/theirs

So what exactly is your point here? Are you merely here to tell us because you have no real opinion on most of these issues, no knowledge, don't feel like it is your business we should all be the of the same mentality?

What exactly was the point of bringing up the dynamics of the Theron family.

My question “so what?” Has yet to be answered.

they/them/theirs

On the specific point of Jackson Theron I am not well informed enough to make a judgement. I feel it’s not my business, because it isn’t. That in itself is a point. Some men ride men, some men dress as women, some boys feel more like girls. Leave them be. It’s their own bleeding business.

I have many opinions which I stated quite clearly.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

2 primary functions?

Accepting and explaining is protecting them.

No its not.
    Its educating them.

On the specific point of Jackson Theron I am not well informed enough to make a judgement. I feel it’s not my business, because it isn’t. That in itself is a point. Some men ride men, some men dress as women, some boys feel more like girls. Leave them be. It’s their own bleeding business.

For someone who identifies themselves as a moderator you sure don't have a great grasp about how opinion/discussion forums work, do you?

For someone who identifies themselves as a moderator you sure don't have a great grasp about how opinion/discussion forums work, do you?

I don’t identify myself as a moderator. I’m a moderator of the fitness forum.

Your point?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

What are the gender norms, can some of the objectors to an item of clothing define the gender norms?

Sure thing. Men don't normally wear dresses. Women don't tend to wear fake moustaches or draw them on. Men tend to not wear lingerie. Women don't tend to wear string vests and boxer shorts.

I think you know most of these but you are being deliberately obtuse. I'm sure there are instances of people wearing items of clothes that are intended or usually worn by others but the whole point is, it's not normal.

That's not to say it's bad. It's just not normal. A dog can eat cat food.

Sure thing. Men don't normally wear dresses. Women don't tend to wear fake moustaches or draw them on. Men tend to not wear lingerie. Women don't tend to wear string vests and boxer shorts.

I think you know most of these but you are being deliberately obtuse. I'm sure there are instances of people wearing items of clothes that are intended or usually worn by others but the whole point is, it's not normal.

That's not to say it's not bad. It's just not normal. A dog can eat cat food.

What would you do if a school going child(up to aged 17) dressed differently to the "gender norms" of your child in the school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

That's not to say it's not bad. It's just not normal. A dog can eat cat food.

Can a dog become a cat though ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

If you qualified this by saying that the reason these kids done this was because their parents wouldn't allow them to be drag artists, you may be verging on a valid point but otherwise it is an absolutely nonsense comparison.

My point is I'd rather kids harmlessly running around in drag than attack innocent people some of them disabled, people are trying to make out these drag kids are somehow damaging to society, I think the kids in that article are a much greater threat to society..

Can a dog become a cat though ?

No

I'm referring to the charlize theron story, you seem content to castigate others for taking a dim view of her decision to raise her son as a girl, what makes your take the right one?

What else is their to know?

She is raising her son as a girl!

She is a dingbat

klaaaz wrote:
    What would you do if a school going child(up to aged 17) dressed differently to the "gender norms" of your child in the school?

Hope he wasn't bullied.

Id be a little concerned if a 3-7 year old rocked up to school in something completely against gender norms.

Teens are different. That's when they experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No

If a cat started acting like a dog or vice versa would you be disgusted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

No

Why do you insist on genus defining a dog if it wants to be a cat? It can be a cat if it wants. You are a shameless, biggotted trans-feliphobe.

Hope he wasn't bullied.

Id be a little concerned if a 3-7 year old rocked up to school in something completely against gender norms.

Teens are different. That's when they experiment.

To stamp out bullying, focus on the bullies to stop instead of criticising the bullied person.

What's your age limit for a child to be allowed to start dressing differently to the "gender norms", aged 13 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

Have you ever read any accounts of growing up transgender or gay in Catholic Ireland? I want to teach my kids to accept themselves and not torture themselves because they feel they are not “normal”. Be very wary about it.

I agree with this statement but disagree that an entertainer like the one mentioned is the answer to this. Can I ask a genuine question in good faith and not being goady. Why not have an actual trangender person come and read the story. Or a local gay couple? Or have someone who cross dresses and isn't involved in adult sexually themed entertainment?
    Teaching tolerance and acceptance to my child at this stage involves saying sometimes a man loves a man, some women love women and sometimes men dress as women. I don't think it's necessary to potentially expose her to adult entertainers to do that (and as I've said previously, I don't think the library event itself is the problem, it's introducing kids to performers in a world where they have ample opportunity to access far too much in seconds). No more than I would want her exposed to the world of glamour modelling to teach her about body confidence. There are much better and more appropriate ways to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Isn't the whole thing based on the fact that if you want to dress differently, go for it. But because you're different, you're going to be picked on. We're human, we'll never be perfect. While it was becoming completely acceptable to be whatever gender you want, and dress how you want, you also need to know that the world is a shithole, and people are dicks and you won't have an easy life. Yeah, it's easier to fly under the radar, but you can 100% be as flamboyant or whatever gender you want. At the end of the day, you're still just a number and the vast majority will never be anything more.

It's going too far, people need to know that they cannot live a stress and hassle free life, and this is what I feel is being pushed. People now want every interaction to be a safe place where you can do and be what you want, but that just cannot happen due to human nature. You will always have racists, you will always have sexists, you will always have religious extremists. We need to teach kids how to deal with this, rather than expect the entire world to change to suit your choices. Humans are getting too soft. I'm not saying 'man up', but life skills are something which need to be learned in school.

Is the thread still about that young person or has it gone on a complete tangent? Also, has that young person been taken into care yet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement