Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locals Galway City 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Labour not in great shape if they still don't have a candidate. Soc Dems and PBP are already leafleting

Don't get the love for Sharon Nolan of the Soc Dems or Joe Loughnane of PBP. Neither candidate would have much in the ways of popular appeal imo.

I predict Cameron's seat to go either FF or Labour, hopefully Labour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RainNeverBow

Red_Wake wrote: »
    Don't get the love for Sharon Nolan of the Soc Dems or Joe Loughnane of PBP. Neither candidate would have much in the ways of popular appeal imo.

Define popular appeal I guess. FF couldn't get 2 here last time when they were polling higher. Seems there's a gap for some sort of leftie. I'd like it to be Labour too but wouldn't begrudge the other two.

Define popular appeal I guess. FF couldn't get 2 here last time when they were polling higher. Seems there's a gap for some sort of leftie. I'd like it to be Labour too but wouldn't begrudge the other two.

I meant the love of the writer of the article, I probably should have clarified that though.

Neither SD nor PBP ever get anywhere near enough support in opinion polls to justify talking about them as realistic election winners, but the writer of this week's Insider article in the Advertiser is clearly very enamoured of them.

I meant the love of the writer of the article, I probably should have clarified that though.

Neither SD nor PBP ever get anywhere near enough support in opinion polls to justify talking about them as realistic election winners, but the writer of this week's Insider article in the Advertiser is clearly very enamoured of them.

Ah right, well local politics is funny that way. National support =/= local results

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Nah - just trying to stir the pot without stirring it.

• Advertisement

Do you have the real inside knowledge on this Red_Wake?
    Has Billy given the
    "
    Who will take my place?
    "
    speech to the local comrades?

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/105675/galway-city-central-camerons-departure-creates-opportunities-for-new-candidates
    "
    Labour will be running a candidate, but has not confirmed who as yet.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Yeah, the support of smaller parties like the Soc Dems and Solidarity/PBP are localised to a few predominantly urban constituencies so I wouldn't take national opinion polls as a great barometer. Labour themselves have been stagnant in those polls anyway.

I agree that it might be too much for Joe, but the Soc Dems did well in Galway West in 2016 and narrowly outpolled Labour. I can see the Soc Dems hoover up a lot of centre-leftish votes. I was surprised that Ó Tuathail himself isn't running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yeah, the support of smaller parties like the Soc Dems and Solidarity/PBP are localised to a few predominantly urban constituencies so I wouldn't take national opinion polls as a great barometer. Labour themselves have been stagnant in those polls anyway.

I agree that it might be too much for Joe, but the Soc Dems did well in Galway West in 2016 and narrowly outpolled Labour. I can see the Soc Dems hoover up a lot of centre-leftish votes. I was surprised that Ó Tuathail himself isn't running.
    He'll be their GE candidate next time around you'd imagine, step down to go for the locals considering he did well in the last GE. They need to widen their pool of candidates anyway so as to appeal to more voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He'll be their GE candidate next time around you'd imagine, step down to go for the locals considering he did well in the last GE. They need to widen their pool of candidates anyway so as to appeal to more voters.
    You would imagine he will but wouldnt really be a step down as he would likely win here in the locals and if he was to win a seat in the next general election he could then coopt someone from the party onto the council. Then the party gets two people elected whereas they mightnt get any this way.

You would imagine he will but wouldnt really be a step down as he would likely win here in the locals and if he was to win a seat in the next general election he could then coopt someone from the party onto the council. Then the party gets two people elected whereas they mightnt get any this way.
    I suppose that was the dilemma they may have had alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭spurshero

Seems to think he’s above local politics . Absolutely no chance he gets elected in Galway west as Td . Would have to go in locals first and build profile from there to have a real chance imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

spurshero wrote: »
    Seems to think he’s above local politics . Absolutely no chance he gets elected in Galway west as Td . Would have to go in locals first and build profile from there to have a real chance imo

"above local politics" is a weird way of putting it. Local and national /International politics are different beasts.

Do you have the real inside knowledge on this Red_Wake?
    Has Billy given the
    "
    Who will take my place?
    "
    speech to the local comrades?

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/105675/galway-city-central-camerons-departure-creates-opportunities-for-new-candidates
    "
    Labour will be running a candidate, but has not confirmed who as yet.
    "

No insider knowledge, but I'm thinking the goodwill Cameron would have built up should boost the prospects of another Labour candidate.

FF is in my prediction purely because they know how to work an electorate. I can't claim to recognise the candidate in any way.

Wrt the Social Democrats not running Niall O'Tuathaill, I'd suspect there's the possibility they don't have the electoral guile to run a potential GE candidate and co-opt the seat later on after a GE.

They're a new party with a lot of young people - more activists than politicians with the experience to recognise this as a potential maneuver.

City Tribune today says Labour will likely not have LE candidates other than McNelis. :/ sad days

City Tribune today says Labour will likely not have LE candidates other than McNelis. :/ sad days

Wow - thats some news. Not so long ago they were the biggest party in the Chamber.
    McNelis started off under a different Political flag as well - could he return to FG?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Looks like the Greens central ward candidate is spouting off anti-vaccine and anti-gmo nonsense. That's one ticked off early for me anyhow

Lol, Martina is a nurse and gets vacinated regularly. You should learn more about the candidates before spouting nonsense.

Edit: But then just having registered your account on the 10/01/19 and posting mostly in the LE thread, I'd question your motives 😱

Triangle wrote: »
    Lol, Martina is a nurse and gets vacinated regularly. You should learn more about the candidates before spouting nonsense.

Edit: But then just having registered your account on the 10/01/19 and posting mostly in the LE thread, I'd question your motives 😱

I don't know the personal vaccination history of the candidates like you apparently.

All I know is what I see. Someone sent me that from her Facebook so I shared it. I care A LOT about vaccinations and think it's a massive health risk in our society today so maybe I overreacted but that's how I feel and don't think potential councillors should be sharing mistruths. Her being a nurse makes it worse not better

Yeah I don't use Boards much, I think it's a bit ****e but there's nowhere else to talk about this stuff

I don't know the personal vaccination history of the candidates like you apparently.

All I know is what I see. Someone sent me that from her Facebook so I shared it. I care A LOT about vaccinations and think it's a massive health risk in our society today so maybe I overreacted but that's how I feel and don't think potential councillors should be sharing mistruths. Her being a nurse makes it worse not better

Yeah I don't use Boards much, I think it's a bit ****e but there's nowhere else to talk about this stuff

Well when someone asked me about it, I enquired. I didn't jump on an emotional rollercoaster and immediately create a new boards account, post it and decide how I was going to vote.
    It just seems strange a new user signs up and within two days posts a screenshot of a candidates posting.
    Look through my history, you'll see I care about climate change which puts me in the green camp (as well as their other social policies)

Either way, candidates have a lot of policies, people should read up on each candidate and make an informed decision and not just base it on one thing they saw on a social media platform.

Looking forward to reading your many posts on boards;)

Edit: screenshot was too large so I reposted

Just to finish off, here's a screenshot of Martina's promoting vaccines which I'm sure your friend didn't post (or you would have fixed your original post I'd hope)
    It's also worth mentioning that vaccinations are part of an extensive green party policy.

I really hope everyone reads up on each candidate policies and votes with their head. The last thing we need is an emotional, adolescent council that can't sit down and discuss things in a mature way. With the galway people as the priority in any decisions.

#rantoff 😉

• Advertisement

Triangle wrote: »

Just to finish off, here's a screenshot of Martina's promoting vaccines which I'm sure your friend didn't post (or you would have fixed your original post I'd hope)
    It's also worth mentioning that vaccinations are part of an extensive green party policy.

I really hope everyone reads up on each candidate policies and votes with their head. The last thing we need is an emotional, adolescent council that can't sit down and discuss things in a mature way. With the galway people as the priority in any decisions.

#rantoff 😉
    She should be more careful about what she posts on social media, that's what this little spat between ye shows.

She should be more careful about what she posts on social media, that's what this little spat between ye shows.

Social media is terrible imo for misinterpretations, you say something in person to someone, it can be clarified.
    Nowadays people take one snippet and make an issue of it, post in closed groups and echo chambers and loose perspective.

But you're right, people need to change with the times - and be careful about what they post!! Especially when people create new users to post it online (which is the part that really annoys me TBH)

*hopefully no-one ever looks too far into my past history* ;)

Labour running McNelis in the West (obviously)

And running John McDonagh in Central. Anybody know his background?

https://m.facebook.com/nmcnelisgalway/posts/760512630996965

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Former Labour councillor Nuala Nolan (co-opted after Derek Nolan - AFAIK no relation - became a TD) is running for Peadar Tóibín's anti-abortion party Aontú in Galway City East. Renua's Neil O'Mahony is also running there.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Twitter (Declan Varley .. Advertiser editor) reporting that a long serving councilor and former mayor will announce that he will not contest next locals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 OwenHanley

westgolf wrote: »
    Twitter (Declan Varley .. Advertiser editor) reporting that a long serving councilor and former mayor will announce that he will not contest next locals ?

Have heard it's Padraig Connelly

OwenHanley wrote: »

Here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

OwenHanley wrote: »
    I know for a fact he didn't email that to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stick with facts and sources please.
    No hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

https://connachttribune.ie/padraig-conneely-to-bow-out-of-politics-099/

tis true.
    also that fact he nearly didn't get elected last time probably weighed on his decision.

Advertisement