Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locals Galway City 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Marian Harkin MEP not running again
    Potential scramble for a brand new candidate to represent the giant NW area, currently 1 FG, 1 SF, 2 Ind

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RainNeverBow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Loving how Councillor Terry O Flaherty has put a huge poster claiming her wonderful track record on a sign belonging to the derelict site for many years now, Dawn Dairy site in Renmore. Yep, great show of your track record right there, you sure you don't want to put another one on a sign outside the Corrib Great Southern?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

flazio wrote: »
    Loving how Councillor Terry O Flaherty has put a huge poster claiming her wonderful track record on a sign belonging to the derelict site for many years now, Dawn Dairy site in Renmore. Yep, great show of your track record right there, you sure you don't want to put another one on a sign outside the Corrib Great Southern?

also proclaiming to be a full-time councilor, sure she's OAP and got nothing else to do, next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In fairness what are Councillors supposed to do about privately-owned sites like that? The Corrib Great Southern is already being fined for being on the derelict register for example.

If the owners continue to let them rot despite the financial penalties, there's nothing can be done. Or what would you suggest that Terry O' Flaherty do? Seems unfair to somehow make this a failing of hers to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

So far I've only seen one candidate with policies on their posters. Nearly all the posters are a large photo of their face with a "1" in the corner... do people vote based on how the candidates look...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    So far I've only seen one candidate with policies on their posters. Nearly all the posters are a large photo of their face with a "1" in the corner... do people vote based on how the candidates look...?

Think it's name and face recognition more than anything. You have to remember that most people don't vote so the campaigns aren't designed to inform the general population.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In fairness what are Councillors supposed to do about privately-owned sites like that? The Corrib Great Southern is already being fined for being on the derelict register for example.

If the owners continue to let them rot despite the financial penalties, there's nothing can be done. Or what would you suggest that Terry O' Flaherty do? Seems unfair to somehow make this a failing of hers to be honest.

I'm just saying it's a stupid place to put an election poster with a claim. Far better to ask a business or an organisation who benefited from your contribution to get going to allow a poster to be put there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

58543677_2415699911774047_8629285928474509312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ce008726f2264646956d6dda22c4b973&oe=5D3588EC

Darius Ivan (Craic in Galway) is running...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Pen Rua wrote: »
    58543677_2415699911774047_8629285928474509312_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ce008726f2264646956d6dda22c4b973&oe=5D3588EC

Two FG's running in the same area, even tho its the same ward? story with that?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

John Crowley from the Soc Democrats came to my door last week and he mentioned he's decided not to use posters, that they can't be really justified anymore as they're single use etc.

I thought that was a brave enough move, made me look a little closer at what he's offering.

Bredabe wrote: »
    Two FG's running in the same area, even tho its the same ward? story with that?
    Sweeper candidates.
    Fine Gael
    Central Cllr. Frank Fahy, Eddie Hoare
    East Cllr. John Walsh, Donal Lynch
    West Cllr. Pearce Flannery, Clodagh Higgins

Same with Fianna Fail
    Central Cllr. Ollie Crowe, Imelda Byrne
    East Cllr. Michael Crowe, Alan Cheevers
    West Cllr. Peter Keane, John Connolly

John Crowley from the Soc Democrats came to my door last week and he mentioned he's decided not to use posters, that they can't be really justified anymore as they're single use etc.

I thought that was a brave enough move, made me look a little closer at what he's offering.

Risky. Particularly for a new party without the recognition.
    I'm thinking of giving him a vote but now I doubt his judgement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

xckjoo wrote: »
    Risky. Particularly for a new party without the recognition.
    I'm thinking of giving him a vote but now I doubt his judgement :D

lol yeah I was the same. Infairness though when I asked him about it he definitely understood it was risky, he looked a little ill about it infact, but he said he felt he couldn't justify doing it all the same. I'd have to respect someone who'll put a principle over their own chances. I said I'll make the effort to tell people about him because he was going to do it and he was thankful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Fair play - will look into him more too. Seems to be a personal stance as I see his SD colleague Owen Hanley has posters up.

zell12 wrote: »
    Sweeper candidates.
    What is a sweeper candidate?

*google says sweeper candidates are engineers lol!

lol yeah I was the same. Infairness though when I asked him about it he definitely understood it was risky, he looked a little ill about it infact, but he said he felt he couldn't justify doing it all the same. I'd have to respect someone who'll put a principle over their own chances. I said I'll make the effort to tell people about him because he was going to do it and he was thankful.

True. We all moan about politicians all being the same and out for themselves, so we should encourage someone making a principled stand. Plus I agree that they're a waste. I think SDs are still too unfocussed as a party for national level, but locals are a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

What is a sweeper candidate?

*google says sweeper candidates are engineers lol!

A candidate unlikely to be elected but will garner extra votes for transfer to the other candidate/running mate (normally better known or already serving) to get them over the line. A fall guy basically.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

A candidate unlikely to be elected but will garner extra votes for transfer to the other candidate/running mate (normally better known are already serving) to get them over the line. A fall guy basically.

Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RainNeverBow

True. We all moan about politicians all being the same and out for themselves, so we should encourage someone making a principled stand. Plus I agree that they're a waste. I think SDs are still too unfocussed as a party for national level, but locals are a different matter.

This is basically my line of thinking. Usually vote Labour and was going to but they put forward a really weak candidate so I'll give the Soc Dems a chance

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

150+ towns have banned election posters altogether. At this stage they are just pollution. Most people want them banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

Pen Rua wrote: »

Love Both supporter, no thanks

150+ towns have banned election posters altogether. At this stage they are just pollution. Most people want them banned.

There would have to be a collective agreement to get rid of them for it to work. Personal decisions to not put up posters will leave that candidate at a disadvantage. I'm curious to the effect the banning of posters will have on voter turn-out too. Hopefully we'll see some stats on turn-out from those regions after the election

d00mk1n wrote: »
    Love Both supporter, no thanks

For that ward the FF candidate was very pro life as well, I dont know if it was publicised(apologies if it was and I missed it) but in public meetings , it was clear this was their choice in the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

There would have to be a collective agreement to get rid of them for it to work. Personal decisions to not put up posters will leave that candidate at a disadvantage. I'm curious to the effect the banning of posters will have on voter turn-out too. Hopefully we'll see some stats on turn-out from those regions after the election

Posters a very simple and great way of advertising for elections and seeing who is standing for election
    Who is going to vote for a nobody with no presence or campaign?

youngrun wrote: »
    Posters a very simple and great way of advertising for elections and seeing who is standing for election
    Peter Casey, a comparative unknown, had very few posters, yet got 23% of the vote...

youngrun wrote: »
    Not having posters doesn't mean not having a campaign, Im a floating voter but I talking during the recent ref to members of a party I didn't know was here, I was newly returned.
    The candidate is not putting up posters but has a significant fan base and sm presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Not having posters doesn't mean not having a campaign, Im a floating voter but I talking during the recent ref to members of a party I didn't know was here, I was newly returned.
    The candidate is not putting up posters but has a significant fan base and sm presents.

There was a motion put before the seanad to discuss only allowing posters to be put up in designated spaces (similar to some places on the continent)
    The amendment was not even allow to be discussed.
    As far as I know there's only one party that really wants to reduce the impact of posters.

It was proposed by grace osullivan of the green party. A lot of smaller and independents are for posters, I believe the soc dems believe they need them too.

If you care for the environment, there really is only one party that has focused on this and thats the greens. They're the only party that consistently brings bills like the waste reduction bill to the table. The rest are too busy with other items to give the environment a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Edit: double post

• Advertisement

Triangle wrote: »
    There was a motion put before the seanad to discuss only allowing posters to be put up in designated spaces (similar to some places on the continent)
    The amendment was not even allow to be discussed.
    As far as I know there's only one party that really wants to reduce the impact of posters.

It was proposed by grace osullivan of the green party. A lot of smaller and independents are for posters, I believe the soc dems believe they need them too.

If you care for the environment, there really is only one party that has focused on this and thats the greens. They're the only party that consistently brings bills like the waste reduction bill to the table. The rest are too busy with other items to give the environment a second thought.
    It seems to be a personal choice with the SD's, as I travel around I see posters for some candidates and not others.
    For myself, as a visual person some kind of visual presentation is important, when I spoke to candidates, I mentioned the poster park idea. A lead balloon reception tho.

Advertisement