Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locals Galway City 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RainNeverBow

Was at the disability debate thing tonight in the Connacht. Was interesting to see them in action. But one FF candidate sent some random fella instead of going who was shouted out for trying to speak on his behalf 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

k2gzu2ijwlv21.png

Spotted this on reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Bredabe wrote: »
    It seems to be a personal choice with the SD's, as I travel around I see posters for some candidates and not others.
    For myself, as a visual person some kind of visual presentation is important, when I spoke to candidates, I mentioned the poster park idea. A lead balloon reception tho.

True, I was a member of the soc dems and also greens. The smaller parties seem to allow candidates more freedom in their choices (more grass roots driven)
    It's one of the reasons they appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I got a leaflet in the post for Maria Walsh this morning.
    I have no idea how she's running as an MEP. If a man had made the comments she made last week when talking about how she'd take on another canditate in elections he'd definitely have been resigning post haste.
    "Ms Walsh said: “I have a crown and sash from the Rose Of Tralee in one hand and in the other hand my marksmanship is 37 out of 40 shots with a Steyr rifle....I’m not here to be pushed over.” "

Who could possibly send that out on a European stage to represent us?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I have no idea how she's running as an MEP. If a man had made the comments she made last week when talking about how she'd take on another canditate in elections he'd definitely have been resigning post haste.
    "Ms Walsh said: “I have a crown and sash from the Rose Of Tralee in one hand and in the other hand my marksmanship is 37 out of 40 shots with a Steyr rifle....I’m not here to be pushed over.” "

Why would they be resigning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

In a male candidate I would assume it was willy waving:rolleyes:, in a women of Marie's background I find it refreshing.

* I expect there are plenty of people in the EUP who can use firearms as well.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Bredabe wrote: »
    In a male candidate I would assume it was willy waving:rolleyes:, in a women of Marie's background I find it refreshing.

* I expect there are plenty of people in the EUP who can use firearms as well.

:eek: you can't be saying things like that in this day and age. We're all equal now. Women can wave their willys too :pac:

xckjoo wrote: »
    :eek: you can't be saying things like that in this day and age. We're all equal now. Women can wave their willys too :pac:
    Very true, while I can be majorily sure the male candidates have a willy, I cant be that sure that Marie does.;)

Lol didn't take long to slip into transphobia there lads. And for what? If saying something stupid was a sackable offense we wouldn't have many politicans of any kind!

That said she hasn't a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

https://www.galwaycity.ie/for-voters-information/#10

A local electoral area (LEA) is an electoral area for elections to local authorities in Ireland. There are three Local Electoral Areas or LEAs in Galway City. They are East, Central and West. Each area has 6 Members elected to Galway City Council. Candidates seeking election will campaign in their Local Electoral Area for votes. You can only vote for a candidate who is seeking election in your Local Electoral Area.

View the Local Electoral Area boundaries for Galway City

https://galwaycity.maps.arcgis.com/apps/PublicGallery/map.html?appid=3853b01e8241421999b9b933265ea4ec&group=fb38dabbbc074c99a251fc18e3f1b97c&webmap=844b630eddce48a28fe96a23b891ccd5

• Advertisement

Lol didn't take long to slip into transphobia there lads. And for what? If saying something stupid was a sackable offense we wouldn't have many politicans of any kind!

Speaking for myself, I wasn't being transphobic, just being giddy. I will of course apologise to any of the mentioned candidates who feel I have slighted them with my mention of them having or not a willy.

*I work with transkids on occasion, so far not one of them has told me that have an issue with that phrase from an old person like me.

Um. What transphobia? :confused:

I'm making the point that equality means if you're going to judge one gender for a silly statement like that then you should equally judge another gender for it. Accusing us of transphobia for that is reactionary and belittling of actual transphobia that people experience.

Im not gonna get into it but ye made it about gender for seemingly no reasons. She will be judged on her comments like all the rest

Im not gonna get into it but ye made it about gender for seemingly no reasons. She will be judged on her comments like all the rest

That was exactly my point but I injected a little light hartedness into it. Mentioning gender doesn't make something transphobic though. And again I think it does a disservice to people experiencing real transphobic behaviour to suggest it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Two councillors came to my door, on different evenings.
    Both dropped paper in the letterbox and left.
    Clearly engaging with voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

We haven't had a single candidate or canvasser to our door or a single leaflet in the letterbox. Living in the city. Was visiting friends in Tuam last weekend and they had several visits in the couple of hours we were there.

Others getting much canvassing in the city?

We've had about 6, city east.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Are you a brown envelope stockist? :o

zell12 wrote: »
    Are you a brown envelope stockist? :o
    Envelopes of all colours, lest anyone suggest any form of discrimination.

Jaysus; that's a lot which ones? Only got 3 here in central, Hoare, Byrne, and Nolan

• Advertisement

Jaysus; that's a lot which ones? Only got 3 here in central, Hoare, Byrne, and Nolan
    Crowd, Larkin, Independent fella, Lynch, McDonnell and a.n other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Who are Aontú?

flazio wrote: »
    Who are Aontú?

Peadar Tóibín new party, anti choice, conservative and eurosceptic.
    Horrible use of the brown/yellow pallet on the posters(tho that might be a girl thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

How about choosing candidates based solely on looks for locals and Europe?
    Maria Walsh's poster is stunning.
    She has my No 1. No question of that. If Mary Mitchell O'Connor was running for locals she'd get a 1 as well. ( Just what is it about the air in East Galway/Shrule?)
    That way people would be able to actually name their city councillors and MEPs .

Anyone listen to the debate? I could only catch the first half. When do the podcasts go up?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

My mother got a flyer with a hand-written 'sorry you were out when I called' note on it. She wasn't out, they didn't call, and it wasn't him who put it in the door. Some integrity these lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Many 'called' but never knocked at the door. Just put in a flyer. ALL camps :/

The exception being Mike Cubbard and it was in a deluge. I was in the back garden rescuing laundry!

Plenty of leaflet drops - only two callers.
    Am right on the Western edge of Galway Central so was a surprise that 1st caller
    was
      FAHY Frank FG (he is based in Menlo)
      McDONAGH John LAB ; (he is based in Shantalla)

Full listing of all candidates on the RTE Website
    https://www.rte.ie/news/elections2019/2019/0505/1047628-galway-city-council/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What an utterly depressing list.

Is the Nuala Nolan running for Aontu in the east ward the same Nuala Nolan who was a Labour councillor in central previously, IIRC? That's quite the change in outlook...

Advertisement