Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locals Galway City 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭RainNeverBow

SocDems were on the Prom today. Can't vote for them in that ward but they were really lovely. It will be tight though for them against O'Reilly

Last debate for Galway City West is on Galway Bay FM at 6. Interesting to see who will get the open seat

Last debate for Galway City West is on Galway Bay FM at 6. Interesting to see who will get the open seat

That was the worst one yet..Councillors got significantly more time than everyone else. That plus a couple of time wasters who haven't a hope meant the decent new ones barely got heard

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Okay, I've got my candidates all sorted for tomorrow (Galway West local).

Clodagh Higgins dropped off my ballot paper as I've just seen in the advertiser that she's being mentored by padraic conneely!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Listened to the GCWest 'debate'
    Agree that sitting and potential(GBFMs view) councillors got far far more time and the issues were relatively minor - very little about the GCOB considering its land impact, nothing about Taylors Hill - all about Knockers & Salthill

Dog poo on the Prom got a mention :)
    Pearse Flannery has three trailers and he said that Knockers has more people than Leitrim (pop 32044)
    yet in 2016 the GCW pop:
    Bearna 15185
    Knocknacarra 1490
    Rockbarton 2097
    Salthill 3633
    Claddagh 2593
    Taylors Hill 2966
    = 27964

For me the stars were Marian Moloney and Marc Anderson - does he really run Knockers->Parkmore twice a week?

• Advertisement

..and Marc Anderson said he'd donate his councillor salary to Galway Simon (€17k pa)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I did my civic duty spending a few hours reading and deciding today. For anyone who is relying on posters or fliers check out the debate podcasts on Galway Bay FM.

https://galwaybayfm.ie/podcasts/citywest/

You'd have thought it would be boring but I found it really interesting and got a better measure of my choices. Yer man pressed for a fast and to the point response so anyone dottery didn't come across well. Kept it entertaining and informative.

Many of them can be found on facebook, click videos, and the clever ones have an ad/statement.

I was having a much harder time with the locals but for the European elections I found this useful: http://www.whichcandidate.ie/events/7/constituencies/90/candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It can be overwhelming trying to figure out who to choose.
    Tbh many candidates are so similar it's a toss-up.

For me the process was to think of 2/3 things I felt most important to me, then simply sift through the candidates' info until I found candidates closest to my opinion on these 2/3 issues.
    Once I had narrowed it down, I read up a little on other stuff they wanted to do and made my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was having a much harder time with the locals but for the European elections I found this useful: http://www.whichcandidate.ie/events/.../90/candidates

That link isn't working for me

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fixed link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DrFunkatron

First time voting in Galway, where is Mervue NS 2? I know where the schools are but which one is number 2 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

First time voting in Galway, where is Mervue NS 2? I know where the schools are but which one is number 2 🀔

It's not school number 2, it's polling station no 2 at mervue school.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Is there anywhere I can get a summary of Galway city east candidates? Don't have time to listen to those podcasts and I see Galway Daily has summaries for Galway city Central and Galway city West. Nothing for Galway city east though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Thanks for that even though they didn't cover your ward.

Here's west ward summary: https://galwaydaily.com/news/galway-city-west-preview-who-are-the-candidates-and-what-do-they-stand-for/

Yeah, I was disappointed in the advertiser yesterday as I was hoping for a table of some sort with even a sentence or two just to get started. But there was a useful article on the predictions for each ward to give you an idea whose the favourite. Made we switch my #1 & #2 around to give the less likely candidate a leg-up.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0524/1051567-strong-support-for-greens-in-euro-elections-exit-poll/

RTE exit poll. Basically all parties in the Council will be looking not to lose any seats. Think Sinn Fein in West and Fine Gael in East are in risk.

Greens will have strong showing but in the end Pauline will likely be their only gain. Be doing very well to get a seat in Central. SocDems could get 2 in Central and East if everything goes right for them. Aontu is non-existent. Independents will be strong but I don't see any new candidates getting in.

Either way the weekend should be more interesting that originally thought.

2 FFers set to be elected in GCE, say tallies - Cheevers and Crowe. Also McDonnell, O'Flaherty, Larkin and x

Fianna Fail set to be largest party with 5 seats. Greens surge with 2. Sinn Fein down to 1 and that isn't even safe. Soc Dems more in contention in city East than West. Lots of interesting results already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Disappointing result for Patrick Feeney in Galway City Central.... 1 Vote.

Assuming he voted for himself that's going to be awkward around any friends, family or anyone that helped with his campaign!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The tally results for the 6 seat Galway City West as they stand now are:

Donal Lyons (Independent) – 1,444 / 17.6%
    Pauline Reilly (Green Party) – 1,302 / 15.9%
    Niall McNelis (Labour Party) – 909 / 11.1%
    Peter Keane (Fianna Fáil) – 887 / 10.8%
    Clodagh Higgins (Fine Gael) – 818 / 10%
    John Connolly (Fianna Fáil) – 725 / 8.8%
    Pearce Flannery (Fine Gael) -723 / 8.8%
    John Crowley (Social Democrats) – 483 / 5.9%
    Cathal Ó Conchúir (Sinn Féin) – 416 / 5.1%
    Marian Maloney (Independent) – 202 / 2.5%
    Tommy Roddy (Independent) – 126 / 1.5%
    Mark Anderson (Independent) – 88 / 1.1%
    Claire Keegan (Independent) – 26 / 0.3%
    Darius Ivan (Independent) – 25 / 0.3%
    Patrick Feeney (Independent) 24 / 0.3%

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

The tally results for the 6 seat Galway City West as they stand now are:

Donal Lyons (Independent) – 1,444 / 17.6%
    Pauline Reilly (Green Party) – 1,302 / 15.9%
    Niall McNelis (Labour Party) – 909 / 11.1%
    Peter Keane (Fianna Fáil) – 887 / 10.8%
    Clodagh Higgins (Fine Gael) – 818 / 10%
    John Connolly (Fianna Fáil) – 725 / 8.8%
    Pearce Flannery (Fine Gael) -723 / 8.8%
    John Crowley (Social Democrats) – 483 / 5.9%
    Cathal Ó Conchúir (Sinn Féin) – 416 / 5.1%
    Marian Maloney (Independent) – 202 / 2.5%
    Tommy Roddy (Independent) – 126 / 1.5%
    Mark Anderson (Independent) – 88 / 1.1%
    Claire Keegan (Independent) – 26 / 0.3%
    Darius Ivan (Independent) – 25 / 0.3%
    Patrick Feeney (Independent) 24 / 0.3%

A few in the bottom 7 had posters but NO information available, I cant see how that was going to work in introducing themselves to the voters.
    I understand money was a factor, but the likes of me actively looking for new candidates to vote for, would have been put off by this lack of policy/belief info.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Disappointing result for Patrick Feeney in Galway City Central.... 1 Vote.
    Assuming he voted for himself that's going to be awkward around any friends, family or anyone that helped with his campaign!
    Did Patrick Feeney also run in GCW simultaneously :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

zell12 wrote: »

Yes, strange strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Looks like the Soc Dems will get two councillors. Nolan got a very large number of transfers from Joe Loughnane to put her fifth in Central, and Owen Hanley is slightly ahead of Mairead Farrell in East after getting a lot of green transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Sinn féin call for a full recount...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Sinn féin call for a full recount...

Typical SF waste of time

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Typical SF waste of time

Not a Shinner but I don't blame them. Any other candidate or party would do the same when the margin is tight. Labour requesting a recount in City Central as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

zell12 wrote: »

He also ran in Conamara South as well (32 votes)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

He also ran in Conamara South as well (32 votes)

I see he ran in the 2016 General Election as well for Galway West. Is he a genuine candidate? I hadn't heard of him until I saw the results this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I see he ran in the 2016 General Election as well for Galway West. Is he a genuine candidate? I hadn't heard of him until I saw the results this morning

Never heard of him either. Wonder what's he all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is he a genuine candidate?

Define a genuine candidate,

Advertisement