Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster v Ulster 5 Jan Match Thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Synode wrote: »
    I thought it was only a knock on if comes off the hand or arm
    Nope. Above the knee and below the neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Nope. Above the knee and below the neck.

Can you point me to where it says that in the laws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it

So, only the hand or arm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it

So it wasn't a knock on.

Try should have stood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sometimes I dunno about these people. Are they even people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sobering night, decent shifts from McBurney, Jones and Hume.

We were very passive in defence, I guess that maybe comes down to it being a team that hasn't played together before and therefore not trusting each other to press the opposition.

I'm just glad the match is out of the way for another year.

Now for the real business of January...Racing, Leicester and Benetton.

Sometimes I dunno about these people. Are they even people?

I've no idea what this means or if it's aimed at me. I'm genuinely curious as to where it says above the knee and below the neck. If it is indeed correct, you'd wonder how Stockdale's try against England stood as it looks to me like it hit him above the knee

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Best moment of the match today was at the end of the game, the Ulster kit man popped over to one of the girls on the terrace asking if he’d seen her with a hip flask.

“Yeah” she says.

“What’s in it” he says

“Whiskey”

“Can I have some”

“Of course, here you go.”

He heads off and comes back a few mins later with one of the players jackets for her.

I love this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

molloyjh wrote: »
    Best moment of the match today was at the end of the game, the Ulster kit man popped over to one of the girls on the terrace asking if he’d seen her with a hip flask.

“Yeah” she says.

“What’s in it” he says

“Whiskey”

“Can I have some”

“Of course, here you go.”

He heads off and comes back a few mins later with one of the players jackets for her.

I love this game.
    Please tell me it was binoculars shaped

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »
    Please tell me it was binoculars shaped

Haha, I’m afraid not. Standard hip flask.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Uninspiring game. It was over as a contest after the COB try as it completely deflated Ulster. It's hard to really get a feel for anyone who played really well as it has to be tempered by the fact that they face second/third string opponents on both sides.

With that said, I thought Josh Murphy, Molony and Reid had very tidy and under appreciated performances for Leinster. They all were the nuts and bolts to a solid win. There was one moment early after half time where we recycled just inside the Ulster half next to the sideline where Molony went in to play scrum half. I expected him to pick and go or pop it but he lashed a spin pass not only outside but I think he skipped first and possibly second receiver to a forward in midfield. His skills tonight were excellent (we were Deegan's whose hands were superb a couple of times).

Reid was very composed. When there was nothing on, he made something happen by finding a half gap, getting over the gain line and resetting. His passing was superb. There was a ridiculous wrist only pass to Byrne on the wing which created a break. `

Murphy just got through a mountain of work. He carried, he tackled and he was prominent in the set piece. Great showing.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In terms of Ulster, that was total garbage. Hard to watch. McCall will never make it at this level. McPhillips is deeper than the Titanic. Hume and Cave couldn't tackle a fish supper. Shanahan... what's the point?

awec wrote: »
    In terms of Ulster, that was total garbage. Hard to watch. McCall will never make it at this level. McPhillips is deeper than the Titanic. Hume and Cave couldn't tackle a fish supper. Shanahan... what's the point?

It seemed to me that every single Ulster player was too small/weak for their position.

Every one of them was bullied by their opposite number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Strange game. I didn't think Leinster were that great or Ulster poor. Yet the result was 40-7. Just a complete mismatch in physicality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

There is a gulf in depth, no doubt. But, some of Ulsters lads are only coming back after long spells on the physio table.
    Herbst and Lyttle come to mind and O'Connor is out about a month also.
    I agree that McCall is below the required level and may never be a good option.
    On a different perspective, Leinsters young players share the training paddock with some world class operators.
    That fact alone probably makes them that much better.
    It's a good victory for us and a poor defeat for Ulster, but all of the younger players will hopefully have learned from the experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

troyzer wrote: »
    It seemed to me that every single Ulster player was too small/weak for their position.

They’re not familiar playing together as a team and just probably didn’t have the confidence in them and weren’t expecting to win from the start and you could tell that from the first half especially the way they were sliding off tackles and not trusting their inside man, tackling all comes down to attitude, not size or strength

They’re not familiar playing together as a team and just probably didn’t have the confidence in them and weren’t expecting to win from the start and you could tell that from the first half especially the way they were sliding off tackles and not trusting their inside man, tackling all comes down to attitude, not size or strength

That would explain why they didn't play well in general but that scrum was in constant danger of collapse and it looked like they all lost all of their collisions in open play.

I agree that there was an attitude problem but you shouldn't be getting rolled over constantly.

They were visibly smaller as well. Daly must have 10kg on Lyttle, same on the other side with Byrne and Kernohan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Kernahan is just u20. Has played a little senior rugby this season.
    The lad will develop.
    Adam Byrne is much more experienced and has an international cap.
    It's great to see Daly back!
    Really thought he was going great last season. He's got serious finishing ability.
    All in all, fantastic result for Leinster.

• Advertisement

It doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

McBurney wasn't. Cronin obviously stood out for Leinster, but that was nothing against McBurney who stood out for Ulster IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

It wasn't a case that ulsters physicality let them down they just did not show up.

Small mobile sides can be more than a handful for bigger opposition very often - see Ireland.

Clegg wrote: »
    Strange game. I didn't think Leinster were that great or Ulster poor. Yet the result was 40-7. Just a complete mismatch in physicality.

Let me ask you - do you think the physicality mattered just up front or all across the park. I ask because 1 of their smaller players went off after 10 mins and that only left Lyttle (who played very well with offloads) and Shanahan being the smaller players left on the pitch for them.

Can you name undersized forwards of theirs? If not it's bizarre saying they were undersized/underpowered.

Agreed.

Heymans wrote: »
    Can you name undersized forwards of theirs? If not it's bizarre saying they were undersized/underpowered.

If the information on the Ulster side is accurate, the majority of their pack were relatively light for their positions. Herbst, AOC and Timoney are the only ones carrying the normal bulk for their positions and Timoney certainly isn't a powerful player, his lack of physicality is his biggest weakness.

Ulster's issues were generally down to technique and positioning but they definitely suffered from a lack of power up front in the tight exchanges where Leinster completely bullied them.

• Advertisement

It was a funny game. I didn’t think Leinster played well enough to get that result and at times the Ulster skills on the ball actually looked pretty good. But in terms of physicality Ulster definitely struggled. Leinster were able to make meters almost at will but also seemed able to either stop Ulster dead in their tracks or drive them back when Ulster had the ball. Ulster couldn’t really do much with so little front foot ball. The lack of familiarity with one another told at times then too.

From a Leinster perspective, I thought Molony, Kearney, Murphy and Deegan went well up front. For the first try Molony took a decent line, popped the ball from the deck and then was up immediately to act as scrum half to feed Cronin. I thought he had a very tidy game. Kearney and Murphy both put in big shifts, being very busy and effective throughout. I was impressed with Dowling when he came on too. Got stuck in straight away with some big physical hits and won a good turnover.

In the back line I think Frawley is continuing his good form and looks like he could be a very useful player for us in the near future. COB was good, picking some really good lines at times. Not sure he was MOTM but he certainly did everything he could have to make a case for himself. Reid’s passing is f-ing excellent and he looked like the more experienced guy out there. I didn’t think JGP had one of his better games though, which isn’t a big deal given his form this season overall. And things that would be Robs strengths in bigger games against tougher opposition seemed to be weaknesses yesterday. There were a couple of times where he probably could have given a pass but was never in a position to based on how he was carrying the ball approaching contact. He didn’t get injured though, so that’s the main thing!

Glad to see Molony and Kearney go well along with Dowling coming into proceedings and making an impression. There's a solid chance that Fardy isn't retained so we'll need them to step up.

We play Zebre away and both SA teams at home during the 6N. We should be using these games for much development as possible. We've a 19 point cushion at this point. Let's use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

molloyjh wrote: »
    And things that would be Robs strengths in bigger games against tougher opposition seemed to be weaknesses yesterday. There were a couple of times where he probably could have given a pass but was never in a position to based on how he was carrying the ball approaching contact.

I've never known giving the pass before contact to be a strength of Rob's, regardless of opposition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

It's a child being silly. No need to post his picture online and have a pop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Childish behaviour from the most unexpected of places!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

There's been a few times recently where I've mistook Mick Kearney for Fardy. For a player who I'd all but written off as having a future with Leinster his form has been a pleasant surprise.

Buer wrote: »
    It's a child being silly. No need to post his picture online and have a pop.

It was on public broadcast. Now blurred for reasons anyway...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Child gives a childish reaction.

Nothing to see here.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Child gives a childish reaction.

Nothing to see here.

Just a little annoyed at the behavior, but yeah a child being childish..post deleted.

baas baa wrote: »
    There's been a few times recently where I've mistook Mick Kearney for Fardy. For a player who I'd all but written off as having a future with Leinster his form has been a pleasant surprise.
    He has been going well this season overall. With our starting locks being in the Irish 23, we need a strong back up pairing and I think you would be hard pushed to find a better 4th and 5th choice in the league than Molony and Kearney.

Both of them were really good last night although they need sterner tests. At 24 and 27 respectively, they may still have their best days ahead of them too which is encouraging.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Molony's been going really, really well this season which is great to see as he struggled a bit last season.

Kearney was always a weird one in that he'd play well but then do something mind-boggling which would taint his performance. Glad to see he's cut that out of his game.

I think while there was no stand outs that was a very effective performance by Leinster. If I had to pick players it would have been Frawley OBrien and Cronin for me.

Penny did well without standing out and Murphy had a very tidy game. Good across the board but time will tell if the young guns can stand up against better opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s strange the things you find hanging in your hallway the day after taking Ulster to the cleaners.

D39674-E4-E754-4729-9-DB9-F335-C087-F366.jpg

Advertisement