Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road tax or no road tax for EV's in Ireland

Options
  • 05-01-2019 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Just a bit confused and need clarification please.

This I copied from UK site

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-exempt-from-vehicle-tax

the way I read it implicates that an EV under £40,000 is exempt from Road tax charge:

Electric vehicles
    The electricity must come from an external source or an electric storage battery not connected to any source of power when the vehicle is moving to be exempt

This I read from Irish site:
    https://www.esb.ie/our-businesses/ecars/benefits-of-ecars

€120 motor tax band for electric vehicles (See www.seai.ie)

so am i (reading into it) understanding that in the UK EV's are exempt from Road Tax charges but in Ireland its €120 or have I got it wrong? , because I was also reading something about a 'up to €5,000 Vehicle Registration Tax relief' (is Vehicle Registration Tax the same as Road tax?)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What is the issue? Two different countries have different regs about motor tax. What is the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

looksee wrote: »
    What is the issue? Two different countries have different regs about motor tax. What is the question?

can you not see the question I asked? - have I got my facts/prices right?

I am not disputing that 2 different countries can do 2 different ways of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭SteM

You're getting worse Andy.

Yes, motor tax is different to vehicle registration tax. Yes motor tax for electric cars is €120 in Ireland.

There is no 'road tax' in Ireland by the way.

SteM wrote: »
    You're getting worse Andy.

wha! - why because i asked a civil question?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I don't think vehicle tax in the UK will be free for EVs for much longer, and they've already reduced the grants for new EVs and removed them completely for PHEVs.

VRT is the huge amount of tax you need to pay to register a car in Ireland. I guess you've never bought a new car, or imported a used one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not entirely sure what the question is but to iterate - in Ireland you pay 120 motor tax a year for electric car

Can be seen on https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinfotype.do choose Private Car Electrical
    For PHEV it's 170/year

For UK, that's a different place.

I don't think vehicle tax in the UK will be free for EVs for much longer, and they've already reduced the grants for new EVs and removed them completely for PHEVs.

VRT is the huge amount of tax you need to pay to register a car in Ireland. I guess you've never bought a new car, or imported a used one?

I bought a brand new punto many years ago in 2000 - yes seems VRT seems very high.

Been looking at the used Renault Zoe's up in charles hurst website 5,000 for 2015 good price but yes I wouldnt be up on the whole VRT thing although I have heard people down here in the republic say even after getting a car from the north and even after sorting out the VRT it still works out cheaper/better value than buying a used car down in the ROI

Thats surprising about the UK scrapping the Vehicle Tax and the ROI charging vehicle tax because I thought that was one of the points of getting people interested in buying EV's that there was no vehicle tax - I can understand them doing that when it becomes a more saturated market of EV's but at the moment I still think there needs to be as much incentives as can be to get people to change over to EV's

biko wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what the question is but to iterate - in Ireland you pay 120 motor tax a year for electric car

Can be seen on https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/motortaxinfotype.do choose Private Car Electrical
    For PHEV it's 170/year

For UK, that's a different place.

yes sorry - I used wrong term of Road tax instead of Vehicle tax

I think I read on (SEAI i think it was) that there were grants for vehicle tax up to 500 euro - so I didnt really know if you actually pay your 120 vehicle tax but can get a refund/grant on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭SteM

Seems to me the Zoes are cheap because you have to pay a monthly battery lease on the majority of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't be worrying as when more opt in for ev tax will only go one way.

For some time the UK diesel cars were even free like the ev but that changed again recently.

• Advertisement

Don't be worrying as when more options for ev tax will only go one way.

For some time the UK diesel cars were even free like the ev but that changed again recently.

ah right i didnt realise that

still good vehicle tax though at 120eur.

i think the wife is currently paying 300odd annualy for her clio 2003 1.2

Funny thing is the ones that can afford new can well afford higher tax but when you see 3 litres etc and the tax cheaper then many others it's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Funny thing is the ones that can afford new can well afford higher tax but when you see 3 litres etc and the tax cheaper then many others it's mad.

those cars will likely cost a lot more to run overall!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    those cars will likely cost a lot more to run overall!

How though as they have got so much more fuel efficient and hybrids etc.

These are exactly the people that can afford to pay much higher.

I can't afford such Luxury and am stuck paying €710 on a sh1tbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

dont talk to me about tax, I pay E2044 a year to those f**cking parasites. This is the thing though, there were always relatively cheap to tax cars, even on the old system, smallish engines.

You have a 2L car, the emission cars are now eleven years old, if motor tax is your biggest concern, you can get into a 2l emissions car for likely 3-4k...

Also I cant afford these big new and cheap to fuel and tax cars you mention, but I am DELIGHTED that people that want to drive those cars, arent being bent over backwards anymore.

They will already get done on the vrt and vat, thats bloody more than enough...

you can now buy nissan 24kw leaf's for E6500, virtually nothing to tax and fuel... Id agree with you to a point, but its not like the emissions cars cost much to get into any more, even the 08/09 ones would be deemed 'old' at this stage...

OSI wrote: »
    The grant is against the one time VRT you pay upon registering the car in the country for the first time. (In practice this just reduces the price you pay for the car given VRT is included in the retail price.)

There is no grant to cover the Motor Tax. Motor Tax is charged at €120 per year.

ah right ok, i think thats becoming clearer now then. so if you imported an EV car from the north and then liable to pay VRT down here could you get a grant for/towards the VRT then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

yes sorry - I used wrong term of Road tax instead of Vehicle tax

I think I read on (SEAI i think it was) that there were grants for vehicle tax up to 500 euro - so I didnt really know if you actually pay your 120 vehicle tax but can get a refund/grant on it.

I think you're still getting the taxes mixed up.

The grant is for VRT (vehicle registration tax), and it's for €5,000 for EVs.

The tax you pay that gives you a valid tax disc is "motor tax" in Ireland, or "vehicle tax" aka "Vehicle Excise Duty" (VED) in the UK (but they don't have physical discs there anymore). We don't call it "vehicle tax", and they don't call it "motor tax", but it's the same thing really.

Advertisement