Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obtaining Police Certificate

• 05-01-2019 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I am in the process of applying for the IEC Canada visa. I have 3 weeks to submit documents for my application. One of these is a police certificate. I will be away from my local area for around a month.

Would anybody be able to tell me if it is possible to obtain a police certificate from a Garda station that is not your local one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I'd be amazed if it wasn't.

I'm living in a new area a few years and have never been in the Garda station here.

My hometown had it's Garda station closed.

So if what you are worried about was true, there would be no-one to give me that document.

I'm pretty sure the doc just verifies your id is legit and any Garda station will do the job. It's the same for passport applications as far as I know!

You should be grand to pop into your closest station.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Pter wrote: »

I'm living in a new area a few years and have never been in the Garda station here.

So if what you are worried about was true, there would be no-one to give me that document.

I'm pretty sure the doc just verifies your id is legit and any Garda station will do the job. It's the same for passport applications as far as I know!

If they don't do it themselves they'll send it on to your local station. I went and got mine in Limerick but im from tipp and they just sent the docs to nenagh station for me and got everything back within the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FutbolCian

CosmicFool wrote: »
    If they don't do it themselves they'll send it on to your local station. I went and got mine in Limerick but im from tipp and they just sent the docs to nenagh station for me and got everything back within the week.

This sounds pretty promising. I'll pop into my nearest station during the week and hopefully they'll be able to sort me. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Pter wrote: »

It's not the same as the passport application at all. It doesn't just verify your ID, it also states whether you have ever been convicted of any offences in Ireland. Previously, you had to write a letter to Superintendent of the district where you currently reside (or last previously resided if you left Ireland). You had to give your details, list previous addresses and state the request is on behalf of Canadian immigration authorities.

https://www.garda.ie/en/About-Us/Online-Services/Data-Protection-FOI-Police-Certificates/Police-Certificates.html

Advertisement