Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any shops you don't like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

erica74 wrote: »
    Lush. The smell is absolutely overwhelmingly strong, before you're even in the door you're nearly tripping balls off the smell.
    Then, if you actually go inside (because you have to buy your sister a few bath bombs for her birthday), the staff are on top of you the minute you walk in asking if you need help (I don't need help spending my own fucking money thanks!), they try to upsell you and, even at the fucking till they're still trying to get you to spend more money - "this lip scrub is only €5 if you buy it today" - not even fucking free to thank you for your custom! Or, the shite they're selling at the counter is to help some starving kids and they look at you like "oh you're clearly someone who just wants all the kids dead".

Actually Lush and Yankee Candle stores give me a near instant headache due to the onslaught of smells when you walk in. They're definitely on my list if stores that can stop existing right ****ing now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Have to say I like Tkmaxx, love having such a mad collection of stuff all in one place. Cookery related stuff is usually interesting, good for gifts.

Haha I’m just imagining you giving the wife a new frying pan for Christmas and getting a belt across the head :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The apartheid protest by union members started in 1984, over 30 years ago.

Most shop assistants and junior managers who work in Dunnes were not even born then

Let it go

Some people are still pissed off about Cromwell here, not to mind Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, TK Maxx and IKEA.
    Dealt with Dunnes for a couple of years and they are the most horrible **** I have had the misfortune to deal with. Aldi & Lidl because their staff are terrible and the quality of their produce is brutal. TK Maxx and IKEA need I say anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Weirs Jewellers - Grafton Street. Went in a few years ago with the intention of buying myself a half decent watch (circa €1,000 - €2,000 worth). Asked a few staff a few times could I look at watches (what I wanted was to be shown some various watches, and to be able to have a chat about said watches etc..) and each time I asked, I was just pointed in the direction of where some watches were displayed, and no staff member engaged me even once. I promptly left and took my business elsewhere (for 2 years previous to that I bought my girlfriend expensive jewellery there for Christmas, but have never set foot inside the door since).

SuperValu (spell it right folks) - the stores look great but their fresh fruit & veg is anything but, with expiration dates usually a day or 2 later than the date you are there shopping. I must however add that the SuperValu’s that were previously Superquinn’s are mostly fine, particularly the Northside Shopping Centre one. It’s a great shop for being in such a sh1tty area.

Pennys - It’s not that I hate them so much, but rather hate being there with the missus. There’s just so much sh1t for them to browse through, especially in the massive ones like in Swords!!! They are endless pits of despair!!

TK Maxx I’m indifferent on, as they are mostly sh1te, but if you put the effort in, you will find the 2% of stuff that’s actually decent (However the prices are still crazy and no way reflective of their U.S. counterparts TJ Maxx & Marshall’s). They do have good kitchen utensils and usually always have a nice array of hot sauces and spices.

Dunnes - I only shop there when I have the 25% off vouchers, but made the mistake of buying fresh meat there (ham joint) last summer and it was awful. Now when the vouchers arrive it’s purely only branded stuff I buy there like washing machine detergents, shampoo/shower gels etc..

Bookmakers - don’t use them, hate the site of the windlowless pits of lost dreams. They are always beside a pub, preying on the weak and vulnerable. They wouldn’t be there if they weren’t making loads of money.

And trying to think of 1 more and I think of dog/pet grooming places - you bought it, you feed it, you love it, clean your own fcuking animal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Lush. The smell always draws me in, but the staff always drive me out.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Super value

Nothing remotely extra special or exclusive yet extremely expensive

Mediocre Valu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Pennys. Single use only clothing.
    All if Kildare village. No decent coffee shop, nowhere to get a paper, no electronics or even a hardware shop. Hordes if pushy idiots killing eachother to buy the crap that couldn,t be sold on the high street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tesco, always find their meat or fruit/veg to be lowest quality.

JD Sports. Seem to only sell tacky/chavy stuff and not a proper runner in the place :o

Have to say I like Tkmaxx, love having such a mad collection of stuff all in one place. Cookery related stuff is usually interesting, good for gifts.

Aldi are also guilty of selling duff veg and fruit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Bershka - very messy, bad layout and usually a massive queue at the till.

Lush - I'd love to try a skincare product but I'll never make it past their hyper staff who jump on you at the threshold. More than one. And it's far too pungent a shop the staff must have pink glittery lungs from breathing in that atmosphere.

Dunnes - I worked there. It is indeed miserable. **** from the top down who despite being very unionised manage to find loads of ways to demoralise staff and screw them around. Awful to suppliers and delivery drivers as well. I try not to give them any money at all. Also aside from their branded ranges the rest of their clothes are the same now as they were 10 years ago.

Zara - very understaffed. Puts me off.

Any shop that blares music at a ridiculous level or has a DJ in the window wtf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I always get electric shocks in Dunnes, not sure what that's about.

Tkmaxx just has no organisation.

Ikea, more so the customers than the shop but you'll always get one that's going in the wrong direction.

hairyslug wrote: »
    I always get electric shocks in Dunnes, not sure what that's about.

Tkmaxx just has no organisation.

Ikea, more so the customers than the shop but you'll always get one that's going in the wrong direction.

Hate IKEA and its not that cheap anyway

I used to like going into 'second hand' shops but now they're 'vintage shops', mostly overpriced junk that has been fished out of a skip. The UK ones have far better quality and more realistic prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Betting shops.

Also, any shops where some little piss ant with a lanyard is straight over asking if your "ok there", the minute you walk in the door.
    Giz a chance to have a look first pal...

Every shop in US/Canada does this. Really turned me off going into shops while there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Brown Thomas. Comes across as very aloof and full of just plain silly prices for things. 500euro for a block of kitchen knives anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lush. The smell always draws me in, but the staff always drive me out.
    The smell makes me want to cross the road to avoid it, not go in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Brown Thomas. Comes across as very aloof and full of just plain silly prices for things. 500euro for a block of kitchen knives anyone?
    The kitchen department is the only part of the shop I ever go to, and they're not bad price wise actually. I don't know the particular knives you're talking about, but good quality German or Japanese knives can be very expensive.

The only problem is that you have to negotiate the ground floor cosmetics and perfume department past all the oompa loompas first to get to the stairs to get to the top floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

side note; can people stop adding an "s" to the end of shop names?
    It's Tesco, not Tescos
    it's Lidl (pronounced Leedl), not Lidels

do these people go round saying "I got an Apples iphone" or "I'm driving a BMWs 3 series"?

Andrewf20 wrote: »

Only time I'm ever in it is to buy something for herself

It's aloof but some times you like that kind of aloofness, staff remind me of the backing singers in the Robert palmer video " addicted to love"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Also, any shops where some little piss ant with a lanyard is straight over asking if your "ok there", the minute you walk in the door.
    Giz a chance to have a look first pal...

QUOTE=grindle;109047101]I agree it's the wrong approach but they've literally been trained to do this via some hokey American retail training regime. Always remember there's a person behind the job. They don't want to talk bullshít to you, but they're paid to and if they fail to keep it up for at least a full year they're fired and can't afford to live.
    How many 20-somethings dream of walking up to a stranger and asking if they're "OK for everything"?
    Zero. Blame the business and not the piss-ant w/lanyard.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

When I worked retail, my manager would make me approach everyone in the shop in the fashion outlined above. I thought it was stupid, for the same reasons you outlined Evel.

So I would simply walk up to the customer, say "Hello, I'm over there if you need anything" and just pause for a moment.

9/10 they would say "cool, thanks" and get on with their shopping. The other one time they'd ask me a question.

I was happy.
    Boss was happy
    Customer was happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Vero Moda. So over-priced for the quality of their clothes.

Hollister, totally over-rated.

Halfords. Almost impossible to find staff to help you, the odd time you get their attention they tend to know feck all about the stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It's Tesco, not Tescos

do these people go round saying "I got an Apples iphone" or "I'm driving a BMWs 3 series"?

I'm more concerned about the amount of people who can't spell Penneys. It's not Pennies or Penny's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Evel Knievel

Another one for me would be Harvey Norman. It's just the constant state of "greatest sale ever" that they seem to be trapped in.
    That tactic puts me right off even going near the place.

Suppose my dislike for them started with the horrible shouty Oz dude on the ads. Irritating and grindy on my nerves.

GO HARVEY GO.... F**K OFF !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Alun wrote: »
    The smell makes me want to cross the road to avoid it, not go in!

That’s not far enough away though. You have to hold your breath from Trinity College until you reach the bottom of Grafton Street when passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It's Tesco, not Tescos

I don’t think it’s Lidel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

TK Maxx was a godsend for us when we bought our house. We basically kitted out our entire kitchen from their homeware section and for a lot less than Homestore and More or Woodies. Also good for some bathroom stuff. On the other hand though I don't think I despise a place as much as their clothing section!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

I used to work in Liffey Valley and there was a kiosk which sold beauty products, supposedly manufactured from Dead Sea salts. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company who were selling the products. If anyone remembers them please feel free to jog my memory. Anyway, one day I was accosted by one of their very pushy sales people and I ended up buying some products for my mother and sister as it was approaching Christmas and their stuff seemed like something they would like. From that day on, I was hounded every single day by the same employee as I had to pass the kiosk on my way to work. I know it's not a nice job, having to approach complete strangers to try and sell them things that they probably don't want. And I always treat retail workers with the respect they deserve, having worked in the sector and knowing what it's like. But in this case, I had to put my foot down and tell her to leave me alone. Personally speaking, such sales tactics turn me against brands. I don't think the kiosk is there anymore, perhaps potential customers began to actively avoid it when they witnessed their carry on from a safe distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

I prefer TJ Maxx to TK Maxx..just saying like... (actually dislike them both)

Tesco is my hated store. Soulless, dirty, uninspiring and cheap. (Well not in a shopping price kinda way).

I dislike most chains.. Zara, M&S, Pull and Bear, Pennies, etc..etc.. they have destroyed individuality and although it is clothing for the masses, I would never shop in any of them.

The shop I DO miss, Superquinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

It's not that I don't like it but Dunnes is my least favourite of the supermarkets and I don't go to any other type of shop.

Edit - actually Dunnes in Ongar is one I do dislike. That place is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

The likes of The Range in Maynooth. A mismatch of everything. I go in with the intention of buying something, wander around unable to find and walk out buying nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Tesco . I hate shopping there

carphone warehouse.
    SMYTHS Toystores

or any store where the staff use a sales 'script'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Shopping, it's kinna boring.....

I'm more concerned about the amount of people who can't spell Penneys. It's not Pennies or Penny's.

Agree 100% but it's number of people!

Amount v. Number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

hairyslug wrote: »

The idea of a shop having a 'correct' direction to walk in is enough to put me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Boots, it's the tiny aisles that were designed from a blueprint for Viet Cong tunnels.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Currys/PC World...every time I’ve ever been (both here and the UK) the staff always act like cocky know-it-alls, but generally know **** all about their own products

Argos...I understand that it is the general concept behind the store, but I hate not being able to see what I am buying before I buy it (in the flesh rather than a picture). Also, they are usually way more expensive than alternatives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bambi wrote:
    Boots, it's the tiny aisles that were designed from a blueprint for Viet Cong tunnels.

I wanna check out these shops now, I assume old dirty clothes are most appropriate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Those Tesco hangars where you need a rucksack with lunch before you embark on an expedition to get one item , usually the Milk at the back of the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

EDit wrote: »
    Argos...I understand that it is the general concept behind the store, but I hate not being able to see what I am buying before I buy it (in the flesh rather than a picture).

And they only ever have 1 picture of the product!!!! Any chance of more than 1 picture? Amazon seem to be able to do it quite easily!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Oops69 wrote: »
    Those Tesco hangars where you need a rucksack with lunch before you embark on an expedition to get one item , usually the Milk at the back of the shop.

Where are they? I like the sounds of that, the more choice the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Patww79 wrote: »
    Where are they? I like the sounds of that, the more choice the better.
    Try a trip to Clarehall tesco or Millstead in Balbriggan , bring a flak jacket as well.

It must really annoy you that unlike M&S Tesco manages to buy plenty of Irish produce. This seems to make them not "British" enough for you. Well done on being a parody once more.

The disturbing thing here is that judging by your previous posts you actually believe this. I'm only disappointed you failed to throw a rant about fat women into the mix again.

You edgelord, you.

I hate shopping in Tesco in particular because that’s where armchair republicans and their lard arsed wheezing breeding mates and offspring shop, happily buying from a British retailer whp use their central procurement to practically steal produce from Irish suppliers who would otherwise be left with no retail space in this commercial invaders growing Irish footprint.

As long as they can get the pork pies, multipacks of baby wipes for their hairy holes and a good old chocolate ‘ardange’ to eat like you would an apple while waddling to their chum bucket MPV, the oul’ shinners don’t mind at all.

They realy do love a wee bit of orange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Noveight wrote: »
    Footlocker.

Must be getting old because the idea of paying North of €100 for a pair of runners that aren't designed for running doesn't appeal to me.

That shop is a serious rip off compared to other sports shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Penneys - One wear disposable clothes, going into landfill or sea somewhere. with no responsibility for the environment or for those making the clothes. There's so much waste from that chain.

On a side note the constant Irish/British/Sinn Feim/west Brit bickering rubbish is very tedious.it pops up a lot lately with the same people and would quite literally bore a hole through you.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    Penneys One wear disposable clothes, going into landfill or sea somewhere. with no responsibility for the environment or for those making the clothes. There's so much waste from that chain.

On a side note the constant Irish/British/Sinn Feim/west Brit bickering rubbish is very tedious.it pops up a lot lately with the same people and would quite literally bore a hole through you.

It’s quite impossible for internet posts to literally bore a hole through you. Anyway, a bit of craic is not bickering. We both know what we’re at with a bit of a back and forth and do no harm to anyone by it. You’re welcome to put me on your ignore list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

humberklog wrote:
    Woodies. The staff are frustratingly few and frustratingly clueless.

In fairness to Woodies I have never yet visited one of their stores and come away not having found exactly what I was looking for - even if it does quite a while searching to locate certain items. The range of products they stock is immense.

Super valu is a pretty poor shop. Though they vary enormously based on the franchisee. You always have to double check the prices, especially the special offers
    One local to me used be a Superquinn and it’s not a patch on the old store

Oops69 wrote: »

Apparently they’re not very profitable as shopping habits have changed towards 2/3 day shopping rather than one massive eeekly one. The stock costs, store costs are enormous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Auld Mary's shop down the road.
    I don't like the homestead brand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement