Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any shops you don't like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There’s a lot of menswear at least in TK Maxx that is full price, no discount at all. Particularly anything half decent. I don’t see the point in enduring a lesser retail experience to pay the same price or more than shops with a better layout and service (help with sizes etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Don’t like Tesco. Staff don’t seem to have a sense of pride in their store’s appearance drummed into them. Shelves are often messy and disorganised which is a bit off putting.

Usully do my shopping in M&S. don’t mind paying a little bit more for a slightly better product. Would be very happy if Waitrose opened up here too. Maybe that would be different if I was buying for a whole family and not just myself.

I don’t have the patience to deal with clothes shops that have bass heavy music thudding out of speakers fixed to every wall and sales assistants ambushing you the moment you walk through the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I have pet hates for lots of things, shops included. Really don't like Aldi very hard to say why but I find Lidl OK? There is something about the way the Aldi stores are built, stocked, lit and their colour schemes that really really put me off them. Best way I can describe it is that being in Aldi feels to me like being in an abattoir?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

eviltwin wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores, something about really puts me off.

Would it be the piece of wood that's yours for 60 euro?

'Designer' clothes by fashion hack Paul Costello that cost a small fortune?

Or Kerry's finest inbred Paul Galvin and his, er, 'clothing' line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

TK Maxx always feels like you are going through the wardrobe of a deceased relative. Not pleasant and a bit icky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lidl and Aldi. Supermarket shopping is a pain in the arse as it is without having to do it in such depressingly grim shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The Furrier shop on Grafton St. When it comes to prices these guys are really taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

TK Maxx always feels like you are going through the wardrobe of a deceased relative. Not pleasant and a bit icky.

Handy if yer after a bright hawaiian shirt at the start of February though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My mother calls it an expensive charity shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I am confused, do people that hate TK Maax, go there regularly enough to have built up such a disdain?

I can understand shops like Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes, even Pennies popping up here as they are really unavoidable but surely TK Maax is the sort of place you can avoid?

I find the shop tests your patience but I think that is just an indictment on me as I know what to expect going there but it has been a source of many a great purchase! It is basically a big jumble sale!

• Advertisement

I am confused, do people that hate TK Maax, go there regularly enough to have built up such a disdain?

I like to give things the benefit of the doubt. If I'm passing one and have time or waiting for somebody to use the toilet I'd head upstairs to the mens section to see if there's a fantastic bargain. I haven't yet found one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I have never been in and will never be in Starbucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

side note; can people stop adding an "s" to the end of shop names?
    It's Tesco, not Tescos
    it's Lidl (pronounced Leedl), not Lidels

do these people go round saying "I got an Apples iphone" or "I'm driving a BMWs 3 series"?

I was pluralising Tesco

I like to give things the benefit of the doubt. If I'm passing one and have time or waiting for somebody to use the toilet I'd head upstairs to the mens section to see if there's a fantastic bargain. I haven't yet found one.

Maybe your perception of what a bargain will never be met though as you probably have set a higher standard that TK Maax has to offer!

Definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting different results!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Happy4all wrote: »
    The likes of The Range in Maynooth. A mismatch of everything. I go in with the intention of buying something, wander around unable to find and walk out buying nothing.

I wasn't aware that The Range was in Ireland these days. We used to live close to one in Romford, my auld fella used to nearly plan his trips over around having a good skulk around the shop.

I tend to avoid shops owned by Philip Green - for obvious reasons.
    Not a huge fan of Mike Ashley either.
    Primark/Pennies/H&M with their sweatshop cheap landfill crap. Hellish places to be when busy also.
    River Island used to be good 20 years ago (I think).

Good thing I'm not a fan of shopping :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

theteal wrote: »
    River Island used to be good 20 years ago (I think).

Correct.

It used to be like a cross between GAP and Topman, well-fitted clothes with no detail and reasonably priced.

Then (18-19 years ago?) they started adding random made-up universities and numbers to the tops, random seams sewn into jeans, fashion rips. Went from the only place I bought clothes to some kind of retard palace within one year, I remember being disgusted by it. And reminded yearly about it because my parents bought me River Island vouchers for Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

my3cents wrote: »
    I have pet hates for lots of things, shops included. Really don't like Aldi very hard to say why but I find Lidl OK? There is something about the way the Aldi stores are built, stocked, lit and their colour schemes that really really put me off them. Best way I can describe it is that being in Aldi feels to me like being in an abattoir?

I find these vary greatly from store to store. We used to avoid the Aldi closest to us as it was too small, aisles very narrow, a real pain in the backside. The one a mile further away had a facelift and a lot more space, actually a nice place to be. As far as Lidl goes, I can't usually abide the place, we literally just pop in to it's bakery when passing, those jam doughnuts are the best I've had since the ones Superquinn used to do when I was a kid - proper powdered sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I hate EVERY store except Chapters bookstore on Parnell street and the CEX stores as there at least nice for a browse. It's hard to find decent clothes these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Brown Thomas. An overpriced boujie kip

theteal wrote: »
    I find these vary greatly from store to store. We used to avoid the Aldi closest to us as it was too small, aisles very narrow, a real pain in the backside. The one a mile further away had a facelift and a lot more space, actually a nice place to be. As far as Lidl goes.

Our Aldi used have four isles and the floor may have needed a polishing.
    They added an extension on and an extra isle and all it means is more walking around. It used be so much easier before the the facelift to nip around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭TommyGun2017

PARlance wrote: »
    The staff uniform sums it up for me, all black, like a funeral. You get the sense that it's a horrible place to work.

I can vouch for that. Worked there through college. Soul destroying! I’m also allergic to IKEA. Even driving past it on the M50 makes me shudder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Kyle More wrote: »
    I used to work in Liffey Valley and there was a kiosk which sold beauty products, supposedly manufactured from Dead Sea salts. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the company who were selling the products. If anyone remembers them please feel free to jog my memory. Anyway, one day I was accosted by one of their very pushy sales people and I ended up buying some products for my mother and sister as it was approaching Christmas and their stuff seemed like something they would like. From that day on, I was hounded every single day by the same employee as I had to pass the kiosk on my way to work. I know it's not a nice job, having to approach complete strangers to try and sell them things that they probably don't want. And I always treat retail workers with the respect they deserve, having worked in the sector and knowing what it's like. But in this case, I had to put my foot down and tell her to leave me alone. Personally speaking, such sales tactics turn me against brands. I don't think the kiosk is there anymore, perhaps potential customers began to actively avoid it when they witnessed their carry on from a safe distance.

It was all a giant worldwide fraud.
    Exposed: The international scandal of Israel’s Dead Sea product hawkers

During the Celtic Tiger years there used to be lots of Israeli "art students" selling their tat in Dublin city centre. They were just as aggressive as the Dead Sea cosmetics sellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

TK maxx

can anyone tell me how that shop stays in business??

i for the life of me don't see any bargains in there whatsoever?? you'd get better quality in your local charity shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Hating a shop is weird.

My friend got offered a management role in Brown Thomas Cork during the recession and couldn't turn it down but was dreading it as she expected bitchiness and snootiness galore. Loves it. Says the people in there are the nicest she has ever worked with.

Sometimes it's preconceived notions that make things seem a certain way rather than being the actual reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'll always avoid shopping at Tescos if I can avoid it. Just find a lot of the checkout staff to be slow and rude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

There are very few, if any, shops I DO like. Shopping is a chore, be it for groceries, clothes, furniture etc. Needs must unfortunately, and it's usually down to price and convenience (location, access, opening times etc) for me. Hence the overwhelming majority of my non-grocery shopping is online.

Hating a shop is weird.

My friend got offered a management role in Brown Thomas Cork during the recession and couldn't turn it down but was dreading it as she expected bitchiness and snootiness galore. Loves it. Says the people in there are the nicest she has ever worked with.

Sometimes it's preconceived notions that make things seem a certain way rather than being the actual reality.

The non Dublin are very different- the one in Galway is small and the staff genuinely nice. Grafton st generally up their own arses- no offense, you work in a shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm more concerned about the amount of people who can't spell Penneys. It's not Pennies or Penny's.

Nor is it Tesco's or Dunne's or Supervalu's.

You don't use an apostrophe with plurals, ever. No exceptions despite many thinking you use it for a plural in a word ending in a vowel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Only time I'm ever in it is to buy something for herself

Jo Malone candles is it? :-)

I always laugh when I go in there during Christmas week and see herds of hapless husbands and boyfriends crowded around the counter looking for “the Jo Malone perfume” only to realise there’s about 45 of them.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Nor is it Tesco's or Dunne's or Supervalu's.

You don't use an apostrophe with plurals, ever. No exceptions despite many thinking you use it for a plural in a word ending in a vowel.

Cool story.

Now, any shop you don't like?! Or are you just here for a grammar lesson!

fryup wrote: »
    TK maxx

can anyone tell me how that shop stays in business??

i for the life of me don't see any bargains in there whatsoever?? you'd get better quality in your local charity shop

People believe they are getting bargains!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hating a shop is weird.

If she's in management, she's probably treated with a fair degree of respect which 'might' not exist amongst other levels.

I got ticked off with Brown Thomas when they tried to push a rewards card on me for what equated to 0.1% discount.

Dislike Harvey Norman.

I always think it's the epitome of corporate culture. Their price match promise always struck me as really putting the boot on the throat of their competitors and for someone who likes the idea of local shops owned by local people this doesn't appeal to me. This was enforced by the Aussie voice on the ads.

As others have said, the intensity of the workers their would indicate that they are heavily reliant on commission which again seems very corporate pressured.

If she's in management, she's probably treated with a fair degree of respect which 'might' not exist amongst other levels.

I got ticked off with Brown Thomas when they tried to push a rewards card on me for what equated to 0.1% discount.

They all have to do that these days, part of the system and they have to ask. If not I’m sure there’s questions asked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I like TKMaxx however the St.Stephens Shopping Center branch is horrible.

Not because of the store itself, but the clientèle of that particular branch.

It's full of fashion queens with their head stuck up in the air. They are the type that act like they are middle class when they are not really. They are not wealthy enough to buy whatever they like so they have to shop for designer brands in discounted stores to keep up the facade.

They sneer around the store as if they are loathe to shop there with the working classes when they are pretty much not far away from working class themselves. Those type of ppl are the bane of cities in general.

• Advertisement

I love M&S, not the clothes but almost everything else. The food and homewares are all fantastic and not too outrageously priced. I also love TK (or J) Maxx. I've some really excellent quality 4 -600 thread count combed cotton bedding and I've bought most of it in that store at a fraction of it's usual cost. Also if you're particularly small, they carry a good few XS items and if you spend a little time fishing through the stock you can often hit the jackpot. I also bought a couple of lamps there, I'm always being asked where I got them by visitors. I also love Ikea, I've bought plenty of things there over a few years now and never regretted any of them.

There aren't shops I don't particularly like, just ones I prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I used to love Gamestop/Forbidden Planet etc, used to spend hours in them, used to spend an hour on a bus as a kid just to go in and browse in them... Look at what they've become now, wall to wall plastic sh1t, those giant headed plastic Funko-pop dolls, who buys any of that crap? Id be embarassed to be seen with it and I love comics/gaming. Rick and Morty/Minecraft branded plastic junk but priced like its made of precious metals, its actually kind of insane how bad they are, they hurt my eyes these days, only way for a high street outlet to survive I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Mothercare. Overpriced and badly understaffed. Their baby clothes are really bad quality compared to other baby clothes stockists.

Penneys. I dislike their clothes, the sheer size of their shops and the smell of rubber shoes.

United colours of bennetton. Not even sure if they're around anymore but again, I found the quality for the price very poor.

Zara. The clothes remind me of a early 90s Madonna video - black and white shiny clothes everywhere; and it always feels like a big mess.

Mac makeup shops - Salespeople/make up 'artists' can be quite rude/up their own arses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

The staff in Penney's must have the patience of a saint or are given sedatives at the start of every shift, having to fold a hundred tee shirts and some arseh0le comes along and messes the whole stack up almost straight away, on a personal note i despise been dragged into that shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭alane20

I dont mind aldi or lidil in fairness to them, but if they could just get a few self service checkouts it would be great, the aldi is next door to my apartment complex so its handy for quick milk run midday, but afternoon time its a family feeding 500 and a mile long que at the tills

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You all realise that the staff in most of these shops are pretty poorly paid

Then again, better paid than most staff in eg creches. Which is a disgrace

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Another one for me would be Harvey Norman. It's just the constant state of "greatest sale ever" that they seem to be trapped in.
    That tactic puts me right off even going near the place.

Suppose my dislike for them started with the horrible shouty Oz dude on the ads. Irritating and grindy on my nerves.

GO HARVEY GO.... F**K OFF !

Most of the chain stores have permanent "sales" on. There's an Irish one where I'm pretty sure every single item on their website is half price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

The staff in Tesco appear to be beyond miserable and it's extremely off-putting.

(And yes I'm already fully aware that it's most likely the company's fault.)

alane20 wrote: »
    I dont mind aldi or lidil in fairness to them, but if they could just get a few self service checkouts it would be great, the aldi is next door to my apartment complex so its handy for quick milk run midday, but afternoon time its a family feeding 500 and a mile long que at the tills

I'm very lucky being from a town with Tesco, Lidl and Aldi I rarely encounter queues compared to large areas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Possibly mentioned already as I haven't read the last 17 pages, but Curry's/PC World.

Dunno how people can fall for their "sales" when the increased price is less than a month old before it's on "sale" at the original price.
    Also some massively incompetent staff in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    You all realise that the staff in most of these shops are pretty poorly paid

I sympathise with retail staff, it can be an incredibly unpleasant environment to work in and a fairly thankless and depressing job, usually because of the company, management, and horrendous customers.

I actually find Starbucks staff to generally be very friendly and helpful. I wonder what their wages are like.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Possibly mentioned already as I haven't read the last 17 pages, but Curry's/PC World.

Dunno how people can fall for their "sales" when the increased price is less than a month old before it's on "sale" at the original price

Forgot them. They should definitely be on the list.

Bought a drone on christmas eve at a too good to be true price (it was). They cancelled the order two days after christmas.

Currys Drone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Halfords and woodies for me.anything you find on their shelves can be got for half the price in other places if you look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Topman. Poor quality clothes, thin materials, made in sizes that do not fit the normal male physique. Emasculated and effeminate clothing for a generation of fùckwits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

All clothes are utter sh1t thes days unless you're spending big $$$, only way for anyone to compete.

Aldi across the road from me I always get asked if I want to go ahead of anyone with a trollyload on the belt if I just have some milk or a small load, practically every time, never see it happen in other shops, is that just a Bray thing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement