Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any shops you don't like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Thargor wrote: »
    All clothes are utter sh1t thes days unless you're spending big $$$, only way for anyone to compete.

Aldi across the road from me I always get asked if I want to go ahead of anyone with a trollyload on the belt if I just have some milk or a small load, practically every time, never see it happen in other shops, is that just a Bray thing?

It's gone that it's nearly expected now. Absolute pox of a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Thargor wrote: »

Aldi across the road from me I always get asked if I want to go ahead of anyone with a trollyload on the belt if I just have some milk or a small load, practically every time, never see it happen in other shops, is that just a Bray thing?

I find it's always done in Lidl and Aldi mainly because they've only one or two checkouts on the go and I think you've to have your trolley unloaded before they start scanning your stuff through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I find it's always done in Lidl and Aldi mainly because they've only one or two checkouts on the go and I think you've to have your trolley unloaded before they start scanning your stuff through!

The annoying thing about both is the way the open and close tills at the drop of a hat. You can be in a long queue and then they open a new checkout and someone appears from no where who hasn't queued and gets served first.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

my3cents wrote: »
    The annoying thing about both is the way the open and close tills at the drop of a hat. You can be in a long queue and then they open a new checkout and someone appears from no where who hasn't queued and gets served first.

Its a race to the till no apology to anyone queueing for ages just self entitlement, such is our society now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Greyfox wrote: »
    I hate EVERY store except Chapters bookstore on Parnell street and the CEX stores as there at least nice for a browse. It's hard to find decent clothes these days

I swear to Christ every time I go in there I'm within an inch of lamping that c*** (and everyone knows who I mean which tells you how much of a c*** he is) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

I don’t like most shops

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Yaxley Peters

Tesco is crap - especially the one in Ballyfermot.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭DublinHun72

Some of the smaller Dunness stores require their baskets sanatised,
    years of use with not a drop of soap near them and ripped up plastic dangly handle bits.
    The galvanised steel cages are on the brink of 'sudden onset rust self-combustion'.

Same in my local lidl yesterday. The baskets need a good power wash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Magnatu

Tk maxx. Just couldn’t cope with it. Always hated warehouse too
    I'd also like to express my dislike for that particular shop.
    The man never shopped in TkMaxx in his life.
    lbc2019 wrote: »
    TK Maxx also, and those Huge Tescos

TK Maxx is my favourite store. As a man I'd say 90% of the clothes I have were bought there. A bit like a jumble sale but there are genuine bargains. Designer clothes that are discontinued lines, slightly damaged, sizes that didn't sell etc.
    But a lot cheaper than they were at one time in the likes of BT. And not being pestered by staff or under observation is another plus for me. I have often spend an hour in there trying stuff on and come away with nothing but there is always the chance of something great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 james678

I just do all my shopping online including groceries. I just find it much easier.
    Do all my clothes shopping online, the prices retailers charge in shops is crazy, I usually get the items close to half off of what they charge.
    Also any electronics is online, Amazon is much cheaper and there return policy is excellent.

I hate every single shop I walk into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Jack Jones, literally the worst clothes I can't think of for men/lads, the quality is not much above Penney's and it seems to be completely generic nonsense...

H&M would be another I wouldn't be a fan but I suppose I am just referring to what they actually sell clothes wise...

Fieldog wrote: »
    Jack Jones, literally the worst clothes I can't think of for men/lads, the quality is not much above Penney's and it seems to be completely generic nonsense...

H&M would be another I wouldn't be a fan but I suppose I am just referring to what they actually sell clothes wise...

Bought some stuff in Jack n Jones before and after three washes didn't fit me anymore.
    I usually only do a 30 degree short wash and no tumble drying. Quality is worse than pennies as what you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ah I like Jack Jones- but very rarely would pay full price for the stuff.
    Their jeans are pricey though for what they are

Jack and Jones used be okay but there quality have gone down a lot in the last few years in my experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I just find Jack Jones fairly Mickey Joe Harte but each to their own... :)

:P

• Advertisement

I just find Jack Jones fairly Mickey Joe Harte but each to their own... :)

:P

We've got the world tonight oh oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Zara - always busy and always a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Any hardware shop where middle aged staff look down their nose because you know less than they do.
    They're the reason people end up going to Woodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Carpetright, staff try sneak extras on to the order and customer care think its OK

SATSUMA wrote: »
    Zara - always busy and always a mess.

Their sizes are ridiculous. Large male is more like a small ffs. I’m 5.11 14.5 stone and just find their clothes a terrible fit. They never have a size that fits so given up going in. Must be great for very skinny people though !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

IKEA i hate fuc^ing ikea.
    it's like being trapped in a frickin Argos catalogue.
    and all those "newbie" couples, all excitedly planning their new little lives in their new little dog-box flats. YUCK!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Evel Knievel

james678 wrote: »
    I just do all my shopping online including groceries. I just find it much easier.
    Do all my clothes shopping online, the prices retailers charge in shops is crazy, I usually get the items close to half off of what they charge.
    Also any electronics is online, Amazon is much cheaper and there return policy is excellent.

I hate every single shop I walk into.

Christmas just gone was the first year that I purchased ALL my presents & stuff online, it was great. Saved a fortune.
    Avoided the madness and had a better choice of goods, all from the comfort of my couch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Has anyone mentioned Dealz yet?

I hate the place and what it does to me. As a kid I was brought up in Hector Grey's (does it still exist, Liffey Street?), so I love the "bargains".

But in reality their products are pure tat, worth a fraction of the low €1.50 they charge (I'm no mathematician, but a fraction of €1.50 is near worthless).

Those plant pot's that crack upon putting in the boot of your car. The hose connections that fall apart, the big box of chocolate biscuits that are only 100g in nett weight. The battery nose hair removal doody that does more damage than an infection from a dodgy nose piercing joint in Turkey. Pure crap.

Yet everytime I come out I'm at least 9 euros down. I'm ashamed of myself.

Upon reflection I think I hate myself more for going there than the shop itself.

Dealz was better a few years ago when they first opened- they had a lot more known brands for the €1.49- gradually I’ve noticed them easing out the well known brands to be replaced with their own cheaper quality generic knock off- Toblerone being a case in point.
    Also fairly obvious they work to a smaller pack size to make the €1.50 work which I don’t mind as much.
    Hector Grey's is long gone btw! I think it’s actually vacant at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

TK Maxx is a great shop you just gotta be patient and you'll find a few bargains.

Penny's I absolutely dispise, I wouldn't buy a stitch in there. Bad fitting, poor quality clothing that you have to throw out on a regular basis.

GAP is probably my favourite, yes there model is price high and always have sales but the quality is excellent for the price. Proper fitting and nice simple styles.

Topman is really poor. Crap quality, sized way too small and questionable styles.

Christmas just gone was the first year that I purchased ALL my presents & stuff online, it was great. Saved a fortune.
    Avoided the madness and had a better choice of goods, all from the comfort of my couch.

I like to be able to try stuff on and feel it in my hands- couldn’t be dealing with the hassle of returns tbh. I buy very little online, don’t see it as being any cheaper. Certainly not menswear

Magnatu wrote: »
    TK Maxx is my favourite store. As a man I'd say 90% of the clothes I have were bought there. A bit like a jumble sale but there are genuine bargains. Designer clothes that are discontinued lines, slightly damaged, sizes that didn't sell etc.
    But a lot cheaper than they were at one time in the likes of BT. And not being pestered by staff or under observation is another plus for me. I have often spend an hour in there trying stuff on and come away with nothing but there is always the chance of something great.

You've basically listed why I hate TK Maxx basically clothes that the other shops couldn't sell and they got landed with them for various reasons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I got jeans from Jack Jones a few years back when everything wasn't skin tight and too short, still have them and still in great nick.

Thank god boot cut normal length jeans are coming back .
    If you wear jeans that are skinnier than your girlfriend, there's something wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

road_high wrote:
    I like Dunnes again- found myself drawn back to them lately after getting so sick of ****e SuperValu. You can be fairly sure of the dates of products, the prices at the checkouts will be correct, very good specials and some lovely “posh†ranges too. If you spend over €50 the vouchers are good too

I was beginning to think I was the only one who liked Dunnes. The clothes are great for work wear and good quality for price. Grocery is excellent in my local and as you say the voucher helps

road_high wrote: »
    I like to be able to try stuff on and feel it in my hands- couldn’t be dealing with the hassle of returns tbh. I buy very little online, don’t see it as being any cheaper. Certainly not menswear

I used to say the same back in the olden days ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone mentioned Dealz yet?

I hate the place and what it does to me. As a kid I was brought up in Hector Grey's (does it still exist, Liffey Street?), so I love the "bargains".

But in reality their products are pure tat, worth a fraction of the low €1.50 they charge (I'm no mathematician, but a fraction of €1.50 is near worthless).

Those plant pot's that crack upon putting in the boot of your car. The hose connections that fall apart, the big box of chocolate biscuits that are only 100g in nett weight. The battery nose hair removal doody that does more damage than an infection from a dodgy nose piercing joint in Turkey. Pure crap.

Yet everytime I come out I'm at least 9 euros down. I'm ashamed of myself.

Upon reflection I think I hate myself more for going there than the shop itself.
    The bigger Dealz have clothes sections now, the clothes are ugly, mishapen rags, not being a snob but you wouldnt line a dog kennel with them, I always go over for a look in amazement. Depressing shop though, Id go to any other pound shop first, the big Eurolands are alright, M&S compared to the absolute junk in Dealz anyway.

I used to say the same back in the olden days ;)

I’ve done online shopping too- where are all the amazing bargains people are on about because I sure as hell don’t see them (menswear)? Store websites are always the same price as in store

road_high wrote: »
    I’ve done online shopping too- where are all the amazing bargains people are on about because I sure as hell don’t see them (menswear)? Store websites are always the same price as in store

Hi. Im off to bed but it depends what your into. I like amazon for clothes and chainreaction for cycling gear. I pick up alot of bargains there from time to time. I know people dislike sportsdirect but they do good discounts too. I always manage to checkout with a few bits and bobs that I'll use.
    Anyway peace. Goodnight :)

Hi. Im off to bed but it depends what your into. I like amazon for clothes and chainreaction for cycling gear. I pick up alot of bargains there from time to time. I know people dislike sportsdirect but they do good discounts too. I always manage to checkout with a few bits and bobs that I'll use.
    Anyway peace. Goodnight :)

Casual menswear both for work and leisure really.
    M and M direct seems ok, bought a few sweaters and stuff there but not mega savings tbh, I’d love to hear where others think is good for casual menswear. You’d pick up stuff as cheap in the sales really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

MusicMaker in town - There is always one pretentious SA bellend baiting a fcking guitar/bass out of it plugged into an amp that wouldn't need to be mic'd up in the o2. Its beyond irritating when you're trying out a amp, pedal guitar or bass. Iv said it to them a couple of times by interrupting them or waking over to them and their facial expressions said it all. I gradually stopped buying in there as most staff tried to force a sale or went on about an item like they just read the item description. I caught them out in their bullsh*t in which they tend to deal in when they think their talking to someone who knows what they are looking for regarding an instrument.

Tower records ...... I simply ovoid this place because of the prices and music played in store. I understand there are staff picks but ffs some of the stuff played in there doesn't entice you to stay, its not neutral at all. 3/4 of the prices on all audio dvd are not competitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

hairyslug wrote: »
    I always get electric shocks in Dunnes, not sure what that's about.

Same here, their stack of baskets always seem to have static in them and you get a shock
    pauliebdub wrote: »
    In fairness they've really improved over the past few years, their homeware section has some fabulous stuff. I don't particularly like the company.

Especially that €60 Paul Costello plank :pac:

?width=422&version=2787728

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I don't get the hate for Dunnes Stores all though I live near one of the biggest Dunnes in Ireland in Cornelscourt. Which is a lovely shop I have to say. I know a few people who work there and they say it's good and the pay is very good for the retail sector upwards of €10 an hour which is quite good for retail especially students. They are strict on their staff but that's surely compensated by good pay at the end the day the expect a days work from people and don't like slackers.

I like the store personally as it has everything I need plus more and also it is Irish unlike Tesco. I don't like Tesco as I find the lighting in all their shops awful cheap and nasty also which gives the store a cheap feel to it. Another shop I have a strong dislike for Currys/PC World. Woodies would be another one due their ridiculous prices and poor selection compared to B+Q.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Banks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

IKEA i hate fuc^ing ikea.
    it's like being trapped in a frickin Argos catalogue.
    and all those "newbie" couples, all excitedly planning their new little lives in their new little dog-box flats. YUCK!!!
    ???
    Seeing other people happy upsets you? Just wonderful:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Can't stand Holland and Barrett, prices were crazy any time I've checked.

Used to hate TK Maxx but if you do it right you can get great deals, especially on formal shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Bookies and Cash for Gold places, a sure sign a place is going downhill. Likewise the seedy looking Casinos that exist here.

And E-cig shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Next - Their clothes are so frumpy and boring.

Aldi - The food is the worst quality.

Diesel - I loved shopping here as a teenager, they had really good sales and used to have a nice selection of clothes, I went into a diesel shop recently and their clothes were horrible and very over priced. I tried on a few different pairs of jeans and the sizes were so strange, the clothes fitted very oddly which is unusual for me as I can usually throw on anything in my size.

Tiger - I know theyre super cheap but what they sell is very low quality, I bought a notebook and a pen as a stocking filler for someone over Christmas, the notebook fell apart as soon as they opened it and the pen didn't work. Complete waste of money.

Carrig Dunne (sp?) - Over priced, frumpy clothes

Vera Moda - Used to be great, now its over priced, low quality and nothing they sell is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Weirs Jewellers - Grafton Street. Went in a few years ago with the intention of buying myself a half decent watch (circa €1,000 - €2,000 worth). Asked a few staff a few times could I look at watches (what I wanted was to be shown some various watches, and to be able to have a chat about said watches etc..) and each time I asked, I was just pointed in the direction of where some watches were displayed, and no staff member engaged me even once. I promptly left and took my business elsewhere (for 2 years previous to that I bought my girlfriend expensive jewellery there for Christmas, but have never set foot inside the door since).

Budget was far too low! You can't go to weirs with less than 10k in your pocket, everybody knows that.. :D

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Can't stand Holland and Barrett, prices were crazy any time I've checked.

Their prices are nuts- the same stuff can be bought for a fraction of the price in Lidl or Boots (3for2). Can be the guts of €30 for a large pack of cod liver oil tablets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Stephen15 wrote: »
    And E-cig shops

Nearly always placed in the down at heel parts of town.

Special shout out to Tiger and Dealz, part of the reason we are drowning in a sea of shoddy disposable plastic crap.

Halfords own brand cycle stuff doesn't last pissing time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

fryup wrote: »
    TK maxx

can anyone tell me how that shop stays in business??

i for the life of me don't see any bargains in there whatsoever?? you'd get better quality in your local charity shop

TJX is the parent company worth a shade under 56 billion.
    The TK Maxx shops here are just small subsidiaries really.
    Homesense is also under the parent company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

I just don't understand Zara and why its so popular. I find it to be very expensive because I think the quality is terrible. I bought the same top I saw in a Zara before in Dorothy Perkins for €10 less and the quality was way better.
    Its always so busy and I have tried so hard to like it but I just don't get it. The sizes are really off and everything fits horribly.
    All the girls at work rave about Zara, but then one girl goes on about how she would never shop in a sale because its too busy and messy and she cant stand it. Yet she raves about Zara and is in it every day. It always looks like a bomb hit it. Dirty store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Tommy Hilfiger is another shop I don't go into.

It all stems for a documentary on MTV back in the late 90's I think, that started his then teenage daughter.

She came across as such a self-entitled, spoilt little airhead that I swore I would not fund her vacuous lifestyle with my cash.

I really showed her.

Nearly always placed in the down at heel parts of town.

Special shout out to Tiger and Dealz, part of the reason we are drowning in a sea of shoddy disposable plastic crap.

Halfords own brand cycle stuff doesn't last pissing time.

I’m surprised Tiger is so full of cheap throw away made in China tat- I thought this is exactly the anthesis of Scandinavian ways

I just don't understand Zara and why its so popular. I find it to be very expensive because I think the quality is terrible. I bought the same top I saw in a Zara before in Dorothy Perkins for €10 less and the quality was way better.
    Its always so busy and I have tried so hard to like it but I just don't get it. The sizes are really off and everything fits horribly.
    All the girls at work rave about Zara, but then one girl goes on about how she would never shop in a sale because its too busy and messy and she cant stand it. Yet she raves about Zara and is in it every day. It always looks like a bomb hit it. Dirty store.

Not sure they're that popular- only have three shops I know of- Newbridge, Henry St and one in Cork city i think. Lack of branches exaggerates the business i think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement