Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there any shops you don't like?

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

IKEAs
    Dunness
    SuperValus
    Harvey Normanss
    Debenhamss
    Tigers
    Argoss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

IKEAs
    Dunness
    SuperValus
    Harvey Normanss
    Debenhamss
    Tigers
    Argoss

Hommesstoreses and moreses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Shops that have the heating up too high are the worst. I get that it's Winter and staff need a comfortable working environment but some places are walking into a small room with the central heating jacked right up. H and M are the worst for this.

I hate shops that heave the heating up combined with the door propped wide open during winter - it's such a waste of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Hommesstoreses and moreses

My precious.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Gamestop. It's overpriced and they don't give you as much money as cex when buying back games. I'm not sure why anyone buys games in there when they are cheaper 100% of the time in argos or from amazon.

I pretty much won't even go in to look at the second hand games anymore since I went in once and someone came up to me. "Hi, Do you need any help?" "No, I'm alright thanks" "Are you sure?" "Yeah, I'm fine" "Are you sure?" ".........Yah"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't like shopping in general, but the only shop I actually refuse to ever go back to is IKEA. Life's just too short.

Actually since my absolute moratorium on IKEA shopping, I have actually sneaked back in twice when I was passing to grab a quick plate of meatballs and mash for my lunch - that shít does taste good I have to say! Don't pass very often though so were probably talking twice in the past 5 or 6 years.

Edit - just remembered a second one, can't remember the name but it's that smelly clothes shop in Dundrum that the kids love, where it's too dark to see the clothes. Jesus H Christ that place is insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I don't like shopping in general, but the only shop I actually refuse to ever go back to is IKEA. Life's just too short.

Actually since my absolute moratorium on IKEA shopping, I have actually sneaked back in twice when I was passing to grab a quick plate of meatballs and mash for my lunch - that shít does taste good I have to say! Don't pass very often though so were probably talking twice in the past 5 or 6 years.

Edit - just remembered a second one, can't remember the name but it's that smelly clothes shop in Dundrum that the kids love, where it's too dark to see the clothes. Jesus H Christ that place is insane!

Bought a house last summer and the missus insisted we furnish the spare bedrooms with IKEA gear.

3 trips to buy beds, drawers, wardrobes, side tables, mattresses, mirrors.. It was a....... nightmare.

I just went to my happy place and smiled and nodded when it looked like she was asking my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You have my sympathies, no man should have to endure that!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Hardly Normal expensive af and the staff pounce on you
    Debenhams again over priced. Seconded Roches Stores was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Same goes for motor factors.

Yeah motor factors, hardware shops and builders providers- theyre all places where if you have to ask questions about the item you want to buy then you'll get short shrift from the staff. They seem to hate dealing with people who are not in the trade.

Just on Ikea, its definitely a place to be avoided at the weekends, it is absolutely mobbed. However if you are only going in for a few items from the market hall then theres a great shortcut- enter the store via the exit and walk through the tills, turn right and it brings you straight into the market hall with an optional shortcut on the left which brings you immediately half way through it. Been using that short cut a few years and its actually possible to get in and get what you need and back out within 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Londis:

Always seems to be located at "gotcha" spots, be it Westmoreland Street or a rural petrol station. Got milk? No, then prepare to fork out 300% the supermarket price

PC World

Half the time it's like trying to ask for directions in Calcutta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

How do Laura Ashley stores manage to stay open?
    They're always empty and their stuff is overpriced and cr4p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

what about HomeStore and Less?
    it's full of nuthin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

what about HomeStore and Less?
    it's full of nuthin.

Full of nothing ? Great for kitchen wear , storage boxes and odd and ends in my opinion .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah motor factors, hardware shops and builders providers- theyre all places where if you have to ask questions about the item you want to buy then you'll get short shrift from the staff. They seem to hate dealing with people who are not in the trade.

Some, definitely, I've also had motor factor staff blatently try to rip me off because they could see I wasn't in the trade. A good one is a great thing to find.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just on Ikea, its definitely a place to be avoided at the weekends, it is absolutely mobbed. However if you are only going in for a few items from the market hall then theres a great shortcut- enter the store via the exit and walk through the tills, turn right and it brings you straight into the market hall with an optional shortcut on the left which brings you immediately half way through it. Been using that short cut a few years and its actually possible to get in and get what you need and back out within 15 minutes.

Couldn't agree more, though I had to find that shortcut the hard way, after first following the signs like a chump. Now I just pop in on Tues and Mon lunchtimes after I've scoped out what I want online. Having to spend a weekend afternoon there sounds like a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I own a few apartments and decided I’d use IKEA to kit them out with cutlery and the like before renting one of them.

1) The quality there is pretty poor for the most part.
    2) It’s not that cheap. They reel you in with a few headline prices, but you’re paying a fair bit for tat. Homestore etc easily match them on price for things like low-end cutlery or plates.
    3) The food there is horrific. IKEA meatballs could be used for an impromptu game of handball.
    4)There’s always a look of sadness and resignation in the eyes of men in their 30’s who are trudging around after their partner there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Debenhams - huge inflation compared to the UK, the "Designers" there basically email prints of the gear to Debenhams who make the clothes themselves.

Zara / All Saints - any store that calls XL mens at 44inch chests or smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Next are the same. Hugely inflated prices compared to their UK stores. Also tiny sizing a large is about a size 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I own a few apartments and decided I’d use IKEA to kit them out with cutlery and the like before renting one of them.

1) The quality there is pretty poor for the most part.
    2) It’s not that cheap. They reel you in with a few headline prices, but you’re paying a fair bit for tat. Homestore etc easily match them on price for things like low-end cutlery or plates.
    3) The food there is horrific. IKEA meatballs could be used for an impromptu game of handball.
    4)There’s always a look of sadness and resignation in the eyes of men in their 30’s who are trudging around after their partner there.

Once rented an apartment kitted out with Ikea stuff (They never bothered taking off the stickers)
    Aldi bargain bucket quality gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Full of nothing ? Great for kitchen wear , storage boxes and odd and ends in my opinion .

exactly odds 'n ends, and storage boxes to put those odds 'n ends into.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

iamwhoiam wrote: »

Good layout, pleasant and well turned out staff, good products. One of the better stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

In defence of TK Maxx which is mentioned a few times, its infuriating if you go in there looking for something.
    If you're having a casual browse you often find gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

razorblunt wrote: »
    In defence of TK Maxx which is mentioned a few times, its infuriating if you go in there looking for something.

If you go in there looking for something you've likely missed the point of their shop, its deliciously random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

razorblunt wrote: »

and when i go in there i dont see something i like only to end up disappointed that they dont have it in my size. Everything is arranged by size so i can be in and out a lot quicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

On the last day of a break in Barcelona herself spotted Primark. I refused to enter instead got a coffee and watched some lads do Tape and Jointing plastered on a renovation they were doing as I had a diy project to finish at home. She came out about 1/2 hour later disgusted as everything was the same and some things dearer. Just as well or we would have an extra bag of garbage to bring on the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

There are a few places I avoid because I've known people who worked there and they were awful but probably not allowed to mention them by name.

There's one chain of coffee shops which have a six month probation period for FOH hires, which is a bit much in itself. After that 6 months you get a free staff meal, for the probation period it's deducted and then in theory refunded when you pass.

But, a) it's deducted from every shift even if it's a 4 hr shift and you don't get a meal b) it's a horrible place to work so a lot of people drop out before the 6 months and c) a strange amount of people don't pass. Adds up to about €300 over the six months, of minimum wage. Really scabby.

Also Dunnes.

Advertisement