Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Reports - how to write comments

Options
  • 06-01-2019 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Does anyone have guidelines they follow when writing comments about a student's overall performance (term or end-year reports)?
    I'm interesting in what you consider acceptable to write, things never to write and ways to write things ... with a goal of optmising the student's motivation, self esteem and learning - especially weaker students.
    Thanks in advance
    Marbe

PS I'll write up and post the final guidelines when I have a few ideas here.
    I hope others will find it useful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

marbetu wrote: »
    Does anyone have guidelines they follow when writing comments about a student's overall performance (term or end-year reports)?
    I'm interesting in what you consider acceptable to write, things never to write and ways to write things ... with a goal of optmising the student's motivation, self esteem and learning - especially weaker students.
    Thanks in advance
    Marbe

PS I'll write up and post the final guidelines when I have a few ideas here.
    I hope others will find it useful

Be careful about promising higher grades if a student does more study/better homework... unless you know that the student is such that anything they'd do will increase their grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Rate their progress. Tell them what they need to improve on. Many comments are such a waste of teachers' and parents' time.

'A Pleasure to Teach'.... groan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lot of schools have auto comments to stop teachers giving their actual opinions and risk upsetting little Johnnys parents from finding out he is a little prick. Lot of e-portal/vsware schools have the drop down box and pick one of 26 options.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Never write anything you wouldn't like to hear read back to you In a defamation case in the high court.

• Advertisement

Lot of schools have auto comments to stop teachers giving their actual opinions and risk upsetting little Johnnys parents from finding out he is a little prick. Lot of e-portal/vsware schools have the drop down box and pick one of 26 options.

We tried that once.... students got a lot of the exact same comments from different teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

A school can expand the comments sections on vs ware or portal. I have seen 100+ comments available for teachers to use in one school.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

A school can expand the comments sections on vs ware or eportal. I have seen 100+ comments available for teachers to use in one school.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Exiled1 wrote: »
    A school can expand the comments sections on vs ware or eportal. I have seen 100+ comments available for teachers to use in one school.

You had 99 other choices. Did you really need to say it twice :D

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

I comment on the exam they just did. “Algebra and Trigonmetry require additional revision”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement