Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need an ID please...

Options
  • 06-01-2019 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

This shrub, growing in Gorey - outside the shopping centre. It smells absolutely amazing. I've attached photos below. Appreciate any help with this as I absolutely must get one!

Apologies for the poor quality of the photos, it was dark when I took them on my phone.

Thanks for reading. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mahonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Also known as Oregon Grape.
    So nice to have a scented flower in mid-winter! I've got one in the back garden and it really cheers up my clothes-line experience at this time of year.
    I always put a few flowers in a vase in the hall, to welcome visitors.
    There are various cultivated types and some are quite small. (Some are leggy giants)
    They say the fruit is edible but I've never tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

I know a church in Clare is decorated by the locals around Christmas and it smells lovely. The thorns are harsh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you're looking for a biiiig shrub with no thorns and a scent out of this world, look for wintersweet. It's very, very hardy, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Thanks everyone for your replies. Definitely getting one now! The smell is just amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Definitely getting one now! The smell is just amazing!

Just don't get an "Oregon Grape" that's the common landscapers one Mahonia aquifolium.

What you want is Mahonia x media 'Charity' or Mahonia Japonica, there are plenty of others to choose from its just that Mahonia aquifolium is the poorest one of the bunch - flower racemes are much shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

My neighbour has something like this, and when I trim the side over my fence its the most prickliest bush in the world to be picking up.

Advertisement