Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Pro shut-down problem

Options
  • 06-01-2019 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell Latitude D830 running Windows XP pro which has developed a shut-down issue - the screen hangs at the point ......windows is shutting down.... and will not power off.

It powers off as normal in safe mode and also in Windows mode by selecting restart and turn off computer without logging on to system. Any suggestions as to how to investigate this issue would be welcome. Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Something to start with would be to disable any unnecessary startup programs in the OS. Click Start > Run, type msconfig and press Enter - then, untick any unnecessary startup items in the "Startup" tab.

Most items in there are purely optional, but, if in doubt, leave it enabled. Disable third-party stuff like Google services etc.

Also, have a look here to see if you can find any useful tips that help you: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-computer-using-windows-xp-hangs-during-shut-down-process.331608/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

For windows XP the best shutdown tool is a sledgehammer. Insure os will he hacked at any time. My 2cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Something to start with would be to disable any unnecessary startup programs in the OS. Click Start > Run, type msconfig and press Enter - then, untick any unnecessary startup items in the "Startup" tab.

Most items in there are purely optional, but, if in doubt, leave it enabled. Disable third-party stuff like Google services etc.

Also, have a look here to see if you can find any useful tips that help you: https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-computer-using-windows-xp-hangs-during-shut-down-process.331608/

Thank you for this, will try this out later on. I did not think that it was related to the startup programs as it closes down normally if done via the circuitous route outlined in post - perhaps it is a different process when accessed via restart and turn off?

It sounds like a program is hanging, which is why disabling startup items is a good place to start. As degsie said, though, using Windows XP in 2019 is not a good idea at all, especially if you connect to the internet. It's a very vulnerable OS now, no security patches since 2014. Give the startup items a go and see how you get on.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    It sounds like a program is hanging, which is why disabling startup items is a good place to start. As degsie said, though, using Windows XP in 2019 is not a good idea at all, especially if you connect to the internet. It's a very vulnerable OS now, no security patches since 2014. Give the startup items a go and see how you get on.

Thanks for this PropJoe10, I disabled all startup items and shutdown was normal, so obviously, you were correct that some program is hanging. Can I leave all of these startup items disabled permanently or does it impact on the system operation? Are some startup items necessary for the smooth operation? It would be useful to know this if I were to enable items on a one by one basis, so as to see what the offending items might be. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Maidhci wrote: »
    Thanks for this PropJoe10, I disabled all startup items and shutdown was normal, so obviously, you were correct that some program is hanging. Can I leave all of these startup items disabled permanently or does it impact on the system operation? Are some startup items necessary for the smooth operation? It would be useful to know this if I were to enable items on a one by one basis, so as to see what the offending items might be. Thanks again.

Nice one, good to hear it!

Stuff in that startup tab can generally be disabled, as they're optional programs that will set themselves to start upon you logging into the machine. They wont affect the operation of the actual OS. What you could do is go through the list in the startup tab, Google the items, and decide yourself if you want them starting on boot. I personally turn pretty much everything off as I don't need stuff running in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're asking these questions you're the type of user who shouldn't be using a horribly insecure OS.

XP should be the realm of disconnected VMs only at this point.

For the record, I agree with this. If you want to keep a machine like that running on the Internet, you should consider moving to a lightweight Linux distribution. Windows XP is not safe on the Internet anymore (assuming that you run your laptop online, obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Maybe the op is using the machine for an old app/hardware or like me, old games? I still play games that won't work even on Windows 7. Have an ancient 286 for old DOS games.

Granted, none of my old gear is connected to the internet, maybe the OPs machine isn't either. If they have the cop to ask for help here, then they probably know that XP shouldn't be on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hey Maidhci,

Is this you struggle with same PC you had issues one year ago precisely?
    You must have serious reason to keep it still running.:D

C'mon, time to upgrade.

• Advertisement

FanadMan wrote: »
    Maybe the op is using the machine for an old app/hardware or like me, old games? I still play games that won't work even on Windows 7. Have an ancient 286 for old DOS games.

Granted, none of my old gear is connected to the internet, maybe the OPs machine isn't either. If they have the cop to ask for help here, then they probably know that XP shouldn't be on the net.

People with such cases tend to mention it.

"Need help with this XP box that I keep for a SCSI scanner...."

OP seems resistant to change/from Cavan.

I've heard of people falling foul of ransomware on XP machines lately - one in particular springs to mind, had to pay a few hundred quid to regain access to a professional photo collection that was foolishly stored on an XP machine. Nobody should be using that on the Internet anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Equally unwise not to have had their professional photo collection backed up!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Equally unwise not to have had their professional photo collection backed up!

True, but ransomeware can infect some backup methods too (Wannacry etc searched for SMB shares!)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Windows XP is 18 years old. OP is a bit like someone with no mechanical knowledge at all driving a car from the 60s, that has never been NCTd or serviced, on a motorway at 120km/h without wearing a seatbelt and just hoping for the best...

unkel wrote: »
    Windows XP is 18 years old. OP is a bit like someone with no mechanical knowledge at all driving a car from the 60s, that has never been NCTd or serviced, on a motorway at 120km/h without wearing a seatbelt and just hoping for the best...

Would one of those old cars do 120km/h? :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

That would be simple enough - push it of the cliff

PS.: Don't forget to put XP computer into the boot before stunt.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mine did ...... and more ...... took it up to about 95mph at one time to see! :D:D

I have just had an opportunity to read through some of the posts over the past few days. Interestingly most of these are based on speculation, illogical and irrational conclusions with some suggestions regarding the software that I should or should not be using - all generated by a bona fide question regarding a shutdown issue in Windows XP.

I cannot understand why it is necessary to go into overdrive and speculate on possible reasons why a person might be using Windows XP, without referring at all to the issue raised. In circumstances, where I cannot positively contribute to a person's query in any forum, I simply do not respond at all. Some of the posts fueled yet more ridiculous speculation, some, by people who in my opinion, ought to know better, drawing analogies to illegal activities etc. etc.

That said, one or two of the posts were helpful and I have thanked them as such. I have posted questions here on previous occasions and I did find contributors to be most helpful, especially smuggler.ie and others.

Maidhci wrote: »
    I have just had an opportunity to read through some of the posts over the past few days. Interestingly most of these are based on speculation, illogical and irrational conclusions with some suggestions regarding the software that I should or should not be using - all generated by a bona fide question regarding a shutdown issue in Windows XP.

I cannot understand why it is necessary to go into overdrive and speculate on possible reasons why a person might be using Windows XP, without referring at all to the issue raised. In circumstances, where I cannot positively contribute to a person's query in any forum, I simply do not respond at all. Some of the posts fueled yet more ridiculous speculation, some, by people who in my opinion, ought to know better, drawing analogies to illegal activities etc. etc.

That said, one or two of the posts were helpful and I have thanked them as such. I have posted questions here on previous occasions and I did find contributors to be most helpful, especially smuggler.ie and others.

I have to agree with your post 110% but unfortunately, that is one of the downsides of Boards, for example, whenever anyone posted a query regarding an issue with Internet Explorer (Microsoft's old Browser) they would be instantly told to use Firefox... Like that was going to assist them in fixing the IE issue :o

I watched this thread expecting a total blitz from the "You should not be using XP" brigade and was surprised at how few of them arrived, but as you correctly stated, they did arrive ;)

Anyway, glad you got your issue resolved.

• Advertisement

I have to agree with your post 110% but unfortunately, that is one of the downsides of Boards, for example, whenever anyone posted a query regarding an issue with Internet Explorer (Microsoft's old Browser) they would be instantly told to use Firefox... Like that was going to assist them in fixing the IE issue :o

I watched this thread expecting a total blitz from the "You should not be using XP" brigade and was surprised at how few of them arrived, but as you correctly stated, they did arrive ;)

Anyway, glad you got your issue resolved.

I'm surprised that another poster,
    who shall remain nameless
    didn't come on here and suggest
    wiping the machine and installing Linux

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'm surprised that another poster,
    didn't come on here and suggest

It was suggested ;)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109063575&postcount=9
    For the record, I agree with this. If you want to keep a machine like that running on the Internet, you should consider moving to a lightweight Linux distribution. Windows XP is not safe on the Internet anymore (assuming that you run your laptop online, obviously).

You obviously didn't get the joke about the formatting of the text :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I,m surprised that another poster,
    didn,t come on here and suggest

fyp, if I think I know who you mean ;)

Advertisement