Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. John's wort not flowering next to lavender

Options
  • 06-01-2019 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Any reason why the St. John's wort not flowering? I have a beautiful lavender bush with a fabulous fragrance. As it has grown the St. John's wort will not flower. I just have red balls seeds like on the st Johns wort on it. Any suggestions what to do? Both there 4years. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

tvjunki wrote: »
    Any reason why the St. John's wort not flowering? I have a beautiful lavender bush with a fabulous fragrance. As it has grown the St. John's wort will not flower. I just have red balls seeds like on the st Johns wort on it. Any suggestions what to do? Both there 4years. Thanks.

Is it Hypericum Hidcote St John's Wort? It needs to be pruned annually. I give mine a good haircut in February (I have a small hedge of hidcote here) but I find it thrives in sunny spots. If the lavender is shading it too much it might affect the flowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Is it Hidcote? It needs to be pruned annually. I give mine a good haircut in February (I have a small hedge of hidcote here) but I find it thrives in sunny spots. If the lavender is shading it too much it might affect the flowering.
    Thank you for your reply.

I think it is hidcote English lavender. That is flowering with avengence and plan to trim in a few weeks or so and cut the flower starks off and some greenery.

I don't understand the St. John's wort. There are red bulbs and no flowers. The first few years we had flowers and now the lavender is thriving the other is struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I had little to no flowers on mine this year, which is well established >10 years and always produces masses of flowers. But I put it down to the drought conditions this year, masses of buds but struggled to flower.

They are easy to care for just a late autumn or spring trim which helps reinvigorate it and that's it...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Anyone know how to make a new shrub from either the lavender or St. John's wort. Is it just cut a bit off and use rooting powder to get them started?both placed in sunny area for most of the day. We are right by the sea so don't know if that makes a difference.

Advertisement