Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening activities/entertainment in Cork City

Options
  • 06-01-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi,
    My problem: herself wanted to do something last night. Get out of the house and do something. So, I had to think.
    Panto in the opera house and everyman both sold out.
    Triskel was showing movies.

For a non pub night, in Cork during the winter, what other options are there.

Other than the comedy club, are there other places to go.

I know the likes of Mardyke (bowling, table tennis) etc have activities.

But compared to Dublin where there are plays on, gigs in small venues etc, does Cork have anything more to offer??

Any suggestions or ideas very welcome..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Check out "The Gab Storytelling" FB site. The Group started in June 2016 - meet once a month - for a "Mixed Tape Night" - the ethos of The Gab is preserving the tradition of oral Storytelling through different formats i.e. old folk tales, modern observations, poetry and song (a mish mash of styles - hence being called Mixed Tape) It's a free event - but appreciate donations as it's a non-profit organisation run by volunteers.

The Gab usually meets in the City but events are held in Blarney too (birth place of The Gab :)) There is a special Storytelling night being run by the Gab in Blarney on Friday 25th - featuring Kate Corkery - this woman is incredible - I was transported back in time listening to her tales and laughed so much.

The Gab also run workshops to encourage and entice storytellers and build on their skills. And have held nights in Cobh and Watergrasshill. They have featured in the Cork Midsummer Festival and Cork Lifelong Learning Festival.

As I said check out the FB site. It's a fun night - very informal and entertaining for The Gabbers (those who are there to present and those there to listen) and the most important thing is it encourages people.

:D

Advertisement