Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World - Recipes, Syns & Cooking tips!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Tried lo dough last night too. I didn't do it in the oven. I used fry light and browned it on a frying pan, then lobbed it under the grill for three or four minutes when the toppings were on. Not the same as real pizza, but better consistency than a wrap! I'll be having it again for sure, it's lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Popcorn balls! Makes 10 - Only 3 syns each.

Mix in a bowl -
    22g of air popped popcorn (5.5) 30g salted pretzels broken (3)
    25g rice krispies (5)

Melt in pot
    2tbsp honey (5)
    1 toffee (2.5)

Melt choc - I used
    15g dark choc (4.5)
    15g white choc (4.5)

Pour honey mix over popcorn mix & mix well.
    Pop bowl in freezer for 5 min.
    Take out of freezer & roll into 10 balls (spray hands with butter frylight it makes it easier)
    Drizzle over choc & pop back in freezer to cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just got an email back from Tesco to say they've been discontinued. Going to have to test Epicure Chilli Beans In Chilli Sauce available in Supervalu!

Tried the Epicure Chili Beans over the weekend - make a lovely syn free Chili Con Carne loaded with frozen peppers and basmatic rice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

SLOW COOKER RICE PUDDING!

cRhqRFU.jpg

Preheat slow cooker on high while you sort the ingredients:
    • 400ml Alpro Almond Milk, Unroasted/unsweetened (1 HeA or 2.5 syns)
    • 200g rice pudding
    • 3 tbs Granulated Sweetener
    • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
    • 1/4 tsp Grated nutmeg (or less, it's strong)
    • 1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
    • 1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
    • Toppings when finished: eg lower sugar jam (1.5 per tbsp), fruit (pomegranate here)

Directions:
    Bung all in the slow cooker and stir to make a homogeneous mixture. set your alarm (unless you've a fancypants slowcooker) mine took 80-90 mins on high. Plate, add toppings, and serve!

Things to consider:
    - This makes 3 good servings so you can scale the amounts of rice/milk.
    - The bowl below is 3 syns total as I left it on a little long, so added another 100ml of milk to re-sludgify it.
    - Recommend not washing the rice to keep the starch, so it's more sticky.
    - Almond milk has been greatly reduced by the 2019 Slimming World plan - used to be 1L as HeA, now it's 400ml as your HeA. (Still 6 syns for 1L) Up to yourself if you're using your second HeA the day you make this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Wrong thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Few recipes from the PoN book, I'll add a couple more now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Made this from a really old slimming world magazine with some edits Got the seal of approval from the family

700g potatoes diced
    350g leeks chopped (I used frozen)
    350g broccoli chopped (I used frozen)
    Pack of bacon medallions cooked and chopped
    4 medium eggs beaten
    120g mature cheese

Boil the potatoes with a pinch of a stock cube for 10-12 minutes adding the leeks and broccoli for the last 4 minutes
    Add to a casserole dish
    Stir in the chopped cooked bacon
    Pour over the eggs and sprinkle the cheese on top
    Bake for 30 minutes

It was delicious. Though I may put half the cheese through the egg next time

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Just joined SW and this thread looks great!

Any tips for the best websites etc for handy recipes?

Pinch of Nom is the big one -- these fakeaways are great :)http://pinchofnom.com/category/fakeaway/ the KFC one is nothing like KFC but it is tasty :)

Yeah pinch of nom and two chubby cubs are my go to's. I love reading the lads blogs too. There are two massive facebook groups related to them too though they don't necessarily get on lol.

Trying this tomorrow http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-breakfast-bakes-slimming-world/
    Anyone tried overnight bakes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

Yeah pinch of nom and two chubby cubs are my go to's. I love reading the lads blogs too. There are two massive facebook groups related to them too though they don't necessarily get on lol.

Trying this tomorrow http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-breakfast-bakes-slimming-world/
    Anyone tried overnight bakes?

Ooh that looks yum! Still trying to get my head around the basics but with a bit of planning I'm hoping I can get some results!

Thanks for the websites. Any good bloggers?

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Ooh that looks yum! Still trying to get my head around the basics but with a bit of planning I'm hoping I can get some results!

Thanks for the websites. Any good bloggers?

Thats all I got I'm afraid.

Breakfast bake was delicious. I had leftover ham with spinach, chopped cherry tomatoes, beans, egg and cheese. Took more like 30-40 mins than 20-30 but thats probably my crappy oven tbh. Having the leftovers for mid morning snack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Just joined SW and this thread looks great!

Any tips for the best websites etc for handy recipes?

If you're on Instagram thedalydish has lovely recipes...her beef satay is delicious.

Not so much a recipe as a recommendation!

BTjjWXX.jpg

Foil containers from Dealz (8 for €1.50) make SW Korean Beef noodles feel like takeaway! I swear they're actually taster in these ;)

SW Speed/Free Soup!

Hardly groundbreaking stuff, but it's what I have when going for a big loss! I have this at lunch for a couple days of the week:

WHlOkWK.jpg

Bung the soup mix into boiling water, I've added 100g Pearl Barley (free) to thicken, add your spices, bring to the boil, and leave simmering for an hour (makes it more soupy!).

Spice-wise I've used 1 chicken stock, 1 herb infusion stock, pinch of salt & pepper, bay leaves, sprinkling of marjoram.

It's syn free; and calorie-wise it's 430 for the entire pot, and you'd be hard pressed to eat a quarter of it in a sitting! So around 107 cals for a meal, kaboom!

J

jaykhunter wrote: »
    SW Speed/Free Soup!

Hardly groundbreaking stuff, but it's what I have when going for a big loss! I have this at lunch for a couple days of the week:

WHlOkWK.jpg

Bung the soup mix into boiling water, I've added 100g Pearl Barley (free) to thicken, add your spices, bring to the boil, and leave simmering for an hour (makes it more soupy!).

Spice-wise I've used 1 chicken stock, 1 herb infusion stock, pinch of salt & pepper, bay leaves, sprinkling of marjoram.

It's syn free; and calorie-wise it's 430 for the entire pot, and you'd be hard pressed to eat a quarter of it in a sitting! So around 107 cals for a meal, kaboom!

J

Is that a frozen soup mix? It’s not showing on my Tesco app.

I haven’t had soup in a while so I think I’ll give this a bash. I also read a recommendation for veg patties for dipping instead of bread so might give them a go. I’d really like to hit a maintain this week although it’s unlikely as I had an awful week last week and missed weigh in with hospital

Is that a frozen soup mix? It’s not showing on my Tesco app. I haven’t had soup in a while so I think I’ll give this a bash. I also read a recommendation for veg patties for dipping instead of bread so might give them a go. I’d really like to hit a maintain this week although it’s unlikely as I had an awful week last week and missed weigh in with hospital

Not frozen, it's fresh (it's just diced carrot, swede, onion, potato, parsley iirc) found near the carrot batons and fresh-cut chips! If you try out these veg patties please me know how u get on :)

Made that today, thanks for the inspiration! Used red lentils coz I had no pearl barley. It was great though I was a little heavy handed with the pepper. And have plenty over for the next few days

Made carrot and potato patties. Forgot the onion and you’d know it but otherwise they are good. Got the seal of approval from the family too which is always good. They can be dipped, needed? No. Nice enough? Yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

Made that today, thanks for the inspiration! Used red lentils coz I had no pearl barley. It was great though I was a little heavy handed with the pepper. And have plenty over for the next few days

Made carrot and potato patties. Forgot the onion and you’d know it but otherwise they are good. Got the seal of approval from the family too which is always good. They can be dipped, needed? No. Nice enough? Yeah
    Are they the ones from pinch of nom? I got the cookbook and have just made the hash browns. They are so nice! I'd defo recommend them.

Trying to get back into sw. Not doing it online, just by myself so will give it a few weeks and see if I should go back online.

Are they the ones from pinch of nom? I got the cookbook and have just made the hash browns. They are so nice! I'd defo recommend them.

Trying to get back into sw. Not doing it online, just by myself so will give it a few weeks and see if I should go back online.

Nah just a guess recipe tbh!

Pinch of non ones are on my do list next week

• Advertisement

KIM'S NO-FLOUR CAKE!
    TWO slices for 1.5 syn!

giOG6RQ.jpg

You will need:
    • A baking tray
    • Whisk (electric helps enormously)
    • Pre-heated oven at 180
    Cake:
    • 6 Eggs separate into whites and yolk
    • 60g Cocoa Powder
    • 70g Granulated Sweetener
    • 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
    • 1 tbsp Water
    • Frylight

Topping:
    • Quark,
    • whip in flavouring to suit (we used caramel)
    • Sweetener if desired
    • then top with fruit (eg strawberry slices)

Method:
    • Separate the eggs into yolks and whites.
    • Mix all of the ingredients EXCEPT THE WHITES together.
    • Whisk egg whites separately until stiff peaks are formed
    • Gently fold in the egg whites a bit at a time (to keep the air in the egg whites)
    • Fry light a baking tray, add mixture
    • Add to 180 oven for 25 minutes
    • Allow cake to cool, then remove from tin
    • Add topping and voila!

Things to note:
    • Mixing all the ingredients except the egg white - This will be really thick and hard to mix, but that's perfectly fine! (it'll get fluffy with the egg whites)
    • To check if the cake is ready, put a toothpick in the middle, it's ready when it comes out clean (no crumbs)!
    • The entire cake is 12 syns (9.6 for the 60g cocoa powder, 2.333 for the sweetener) so depending on how you divide it and what toppings you have determines the syns! Dividing it into 16 is 0.75 syns each. Or if you eat the entire cake it's only 12 syns AWWWWWW YEAHHHHHHH

QPxVF3G.jpg

½ SYN PASTA CARBONARA!

dLaXlFQ.jpg

INGREDIENTS (FOR 2 PEOPLE)
    - 75g of macaroni pasta each (we had ¼ leftover)
    - 340g gammon, diced (ie 2 gammon steaks, minus the fat) consider adding chorizo sausage
    - 4 tbsp of cheese mix - perfect, used ~3 tbsp of water to turn into a paste. (I found this in Holland & Barrett "free and easy Cheese Flavour Sauce Mix" - white and yellow tub)
    - added 5-10g of Pecarino cheese to taste (larger Tescos)
    - 1 Brown Onion diced (or 2 red onions)
    - 2 packs Button (or 1 chestnut) Mushrooms, sliced
    - 2 Eggs
    - 4 tbsp Quark
    - 1 tsp Black Pepper
    - Handful Fresh Parsley chopped
    - 200ml boiling water + veg stock
    - Low Calorie Cooking Spray
    - 1 tsp Mustard Powder (omit depending on taste of pepper added)
    - Speed as a side-dish (I use salad or boiled veg w/stock pot)

METHOD:
    - Boil the kettle and heat the pan(s)
    - Dice gammon, mushrooms and onion, and fry. may need 2 pans as it's a large volume.
    - cook pasta.
    - Add the water/vegetable stock to the frying pan(s), stir frequently until stock reduces to a little fluid.
    - Separately, whisk eggs, black pepper, quark and mustard in a bowl.
    - Drain pasta and put into a large bowl. Add the cooked onions, mushrooms, stock and gammon to the bowl and stir well.
    - Slowly add eggs, cheese and Quark mix to the bowl while stirring constantly. Do not do this on the heat otherwise you'll end up with scrambled egg!!
    - Add parsley, plate up, sprinkle with more Pecarino cheese. Enjoy!

Advertisement