Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 slim 5GHz not working + packet loss

Options
  • 06-01-2019 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I got a new playstation 4 slim for Christmas after my old original one started getting extremely loud. I used a friend's slim in mine before and the internet connected fine no problem but when I got my new one it wouldn't connect to 5GHz and I lag alot on games, I since used my friends PS4 again and it connect no problem. Do I have a faulty PS4? Another friend of mine got a PS4 slim for Christmas too and he's having the same problem. We both have virgin media but that doesn't answer the question as to why my I can't connect to the 5GHz network. Would getting powerline adapters fix the problem could it be the wi-fi chip or something. Any input would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

PS4 Pro/Slim use a gimped NIC that only supports 20Mhz channels apparently. You can set your VM Hub to use 20Mhz only (not 40 or Auto) and it should work but will slow your 5Ghz network down a bit for all other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheIrishLad_

ED E wrote: »
    PS4 Pro/Slim use a gimped NIC that only supports 20Mhz channels apparently. You can set your VM Hub to use 20Mhz only (not 40 or Auto) and it should work but will slow your 5Ghz network down a bit for all other devices.
    Thanks for the reply, that sadly didn't work and it also doesn't explain why the other PS4 could connect to my 5GHz and mine can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any chance one of them is originally from the US? There are regional differences with DSS>

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheIrishLad_

ED E wrote: »
    Any chance one of them is originally from the US? There are regional differences with DSS>

Both mine and friend1 got ours in Smyth's so I don't think so. It's just really unusual I'm currently using friend2s PS4 that connects to 5Ghz as he's staying and I don't get any packet loss either. Funny enough the one that works is white and me and friend1 got black slims mine 1TB him 500GB.

Advertisement