Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't Dublin pubs compete with cafes for daytime custom?

Options
  • 06-01-2019 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Why don't Dublin pubs compete with cafes for daytime business?

Around midday / lunchtime most Dublin cafes are heaving with people.

Also around this time, some Dublin pubs have transform themselves into restaurants, which seems to work for them.

But a significant amount, don't. They are still in "pub mode" and their premises would be empty. So while they are still paying substantial overheads their premises are almost empty.

Can anyone explain why pubs don't use all their free seating and space to compete with cafes during daytime hours by serving quality coffee?*

(*And before you say, "they do serve coffee", I am talking pubs serving proper coffee not 1980's industrial-style brew that a lot of them serve)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Id reckon most pubs in dublin are doing pretty well? Not suburban ones, but central ones, most city centre bars seem to be heaving every other day of the week
    Cafes dont serve things at nighttime so both get their share of the market at different times of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Does seem strange as they must see how well pubs do during the day in the UK. You'd think they'd go for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

jimmii wrote: »
    Does seem strange as they must see how well pubs do during the day in the UK. You'd think they'd go for it too.

Yeah, I can't understand it. Even with the decline the liquid lunch, a lot of the independents and chains over there have filled their daytime empty seats serving food or gourmet coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bludcrazetiger

most pubs I know in the city centre do offer this

Advertisement