Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying and planting moss to make a moss "japanese" garden

Options
  • 06-01-2019 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi all

I am growing a Japanese garden and I have a shady area in the garden, which would be perfect for this

I have just found out a place that sells natural moss:
    https://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/fresh-moss-for-hanging-baskets/fresh_moss_box

Would it be easy to buy it and establish it in the garden?
    Would the moss propagate easily? Maybe by dividing it into small pieces?

Not sure if this makes any sense but we put new soil in that part of the garden, and I can see a small green layer starting to grow. So, maybe that means that moss would grow well on its own in there?

Thank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

They don't sell it anymore

If anyone knows of a place, please let me know

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hello,

I have a "japanese type / chinese type / oriental type" front garden made with small trees and with rocks/stones.
    Why do you try to make it with moss,what kin dof design you have in mind !?

Good luck.

rolion wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a "japanese type / chinese type / oriental type" front garden made with small trees and with rocks/stones.
    Why do you try to make it with moss,what kin dof design you have in mind !?

Good luck.

Hi rolion,

I have already made the Japanese "type"garden and I am very happy about it. The back of the garden i shady and north facing and I have added some ferns and bambool plants. I'd love to cover the soil with moss

Any chance of some pictures of your garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

I was out in Powerscourt Garden Centre today and they had 4 small pots of moss on display if that's any use OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

mikelata wrote: »
    Hi all

I am growing a Japanese garden and I have a shady area in the garden, which would be perfect for this

I have just found out a place that sells natural moss:
    https://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/fresh-moss-for-hanging-baskets/fresh_moss_box

Would it be easy to buy it and establish it in the garden?
    Would the moss propagate easily? Maybe by dividing it into small pieces?

Not sure if this makes any sense but we put new soil in that part of the garden, and I can see a small green layer starting to grow. So, maybe that means that moss would grow well on its own in there?

Thank
    Most gardens are trying to get rid of their moss - DIY stores minting it with moss killer products at the moment...

Never tried to encourage it myself but hava a look here https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/moss/growing-moss-gardens.htm

HTH

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Most gardens are trying to get rid of their moss - DIY stores minting it with moss killer products at the moment...

Never tried to encourage it myself but have a look here https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/moss/growing-moss-gardens.htm

HTH

I have been tempted to grow a moss garden from scratch for a while. Now that I have not been able to buy moss commercially, this might be the right moment to give it a go...

I have seen moss patches in shady areas in industrial estates...I might start from there :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can I just give you my side lawn? :D It's about 70% moss due to living in shadow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

jomalone14 wrote: »
    I was out in Powerscourt Garden Centre today and they had 4 small pots of moss on display if that's any use OP?
    Probably some old plants that died, and the pots never got cleared away :)

OP just go out into some damp woods, or look on a wall near a broken drainpipe and get some moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 huiwe878778

The forest is the best place to find moss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

recedite wrote: »
    Probably some old plants that died, and the pots never got cleared away :)

They weren't actually, they were as I said, moss for sale in pots :)

jomalone14 wrote: »
    They weren't actually, they were as I said, moss for sale in pots :)
    For how much? (go on, give us a laugh)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

After seeing this topic I am really tempted to give this a bash. Very bad clay soil and have been told only option for decent lawn is artificial grass. I'm not too fond of artificial grass and certainly not fond enough to spend the 7.5k they said it will cost to put it in. Just reading into it though one article mentions it needs to be watered at least once a day to be nice and green which is a bit much really. And I dont know if it would fit in if successful with raised beds I am going to have to do with Roses and other English garden type plants. (I've tried normal borders but plants are just about surviving but not thriving). Apparently it doesn't seem to mind clay. I think I might do a test patch over the next few months just to see how it looks. I could be barking up the wrong tree but that's the fun of gardening sometimes- experimenting :)

I have finally started planting moss into the garden... well, transplanting it...

I don't feel comfortable taking moss from the forests. So, I went to industrial estates to scrap some moss from ugly north-looking concrete walls... This was probably the worst week in the year to do that, as it did not rain and my garden soil was very dry for the moss to stick into it...

Anyway, let' see what happens :-)

I attach a pic of how it is looking right now...

Thanks to you all for your help with comments and suggestions guys!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sorry Mikelata, but that image is the size of an icon. Any chance of a bigger photo, please?

you are right. I will edit it now

Cheers

I'd suggest keep it well watered and damp. Even if those lumps die off, just leave them there because the spores might come off them, and new moss might spring up around them.
    Good luck!

Hi all

The moss is getting stablished very well after all but I have a new concern...

Livewort is spreading like crazy. It probably came with the moss I transplanted to the garden.

I guess if I treat it, it will kill the moss too? So, manual removal is the only option?

Thanks

http://www.downgardenservices.org.uk/liverwort.htm

Any chemical that kills liverwort would also kill moss.
    Could you not grow to love liverwort?
    I mean, if you like moss, then surely its just a small leap...

recedite wrote: »
    Any chemical that kills liverwort would also kill moss.
    Could you not grow to love liverwort?
    I mean, if you like moss, then surely its just a small leap...

Good point.
    Interestingly, I really loved it when I saw it initially. In fact, I still do like it. The issue is that the moss spreads very slowly and liverwort appears to be spreading really fast

So, my fear is ending up with a liverwort garden with a bit of moss, as opposed to a moss garden with a bit of liverwort

• Advertisement

Fair enough, that's what all gardening is about really. Trying to encourage the plants you like, and trying to get rid of the ones you don't.
    A weed is just a plant growing in the wrong place.

Advertisement