Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco meat

Options
  • 06-01-2019 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Not sure if this is the right place for this but has anyone else got dodgy Tesco meat before? Particularly beef.

I bought some minced beef, burgers and meatballs recently over two different days, one was an online delivery so I think it even came from a different shop than the one I was in. All Tesco brand stuff, sealed packages, in date, looked ok, red with no discoloration.

But there was a weird sour smell to it all. I cooked one of the burgers from the first batch (that smelled a little funky) and it tasted ok. The second day batch though all smelled much worse and when I cooked it, it tasted sour too.

In the end I had to throw everything out. I've gotten this stuff many a time over the years and never noticed this weird smell or taste or had to throw it out. But given it came from two different shops (I think) and seemed to be an issue with any mince products there must be something off with a big shipment of it.

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

We all it "gray in a day".

There is no supermarket with worse meat than Tesco.

Consider it a learning experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Tesco stores have extremely poor temp control. The deliveries often sit for hours on end before being packed into the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My local Tesco has been fined for poor temperature control of the standalone meat fridges in the entrance aisle. My personal experience is their meat is of abysmal quality.

I generally use an actual butcher or the German discounters (either, Aldi seems to have better fresh beef and Lidl better processed meats from my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

i can confirm Lidl & Aldi seem miles better than tesco when it comes to meats. Had some excellent steak from lidl at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Tesco stores have extremely poor temp control. The deliveries often sit for hours on end before being packed into the fridge.

No more than any other supermarket, and like every other supermarket, their controls are only as good as those implementing it on the ground. In fact they'd be hauled up by the EHO on every inspection if they had poor temperature controls.

Your generalisation that Tesco Stores have an extremely poor temp control system is false, in fact from what I've seen (in the business) they're one of the more proactive supermarkets in implementing food safety systems, they often work in conjunction with the FSAI and Bord Bia when developing and exploring such systems.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    No more than any other supermarket, and like every other supermarket, their controls are only as good as those implementing it on the ground. In fact they'd be hauled up by the EHO on every inspection if they had poor temperature controls.

Your generalisation that Tesco Stores have an extremely poor temp control system is false, in fact from what I've seen (in the business) they're one of the more proactive supermarkets in implementing food safety systems, they often work in conjunction with the FSAI and Bord Bia when developing and exploring such systems.

I spent many years in the business myself. I have seen frozen and fresh deliveries sit in combis on the floor for hours on end. This doesn't happen in the competitor stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

'fraid it does.

Hurrache wrote: »
    'fraid it does.

Not to the extent it does in Tesco, in my experience anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - raise a complaint with Tesco, and provide them with the batch details. They will need this information to look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The quality of meat in Tesco's is terrible, compared to other supermarkets.

A new Tesco opened locally last year but the quality of the meat was still poor, so we continue to avoid getting our meat in Tesco's.

When I lived in Belfast many many years ago, we avoided buying our meat in Tesco's for the same reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Worst meat in Ireland. Consistently poor and below par. Stopped buying it long time ago. Not cheap either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The quality of meat in Tesco's is terrible, compared to other supermarkets.

Tesco don't have their own meat factories, all the meat factories that I have seen packing meat for Tesco also pack for the other supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Tesco don't have their own meat factories, all the meat factories that I have seen packing meat for Tesco also pack for the other supermarkets.

That doesn't mean they're packing the same meat. Different shops could be, and surely are, purchasing different grades. Tesco having lesser quality meat seems to be a very common opinion (not just on these forums) and it hardly came from nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

JohnC. wrote:
    That doesn't mean they're packing the same meat. Different shops could be, and surely are, purchasing different grades. Tesco having lesser quality meat seems to be a very common opinion (not just on these forums) and it hardly came from nowhere.

Tesco opened up a new store near us just over a year ago. I've come to the same conclusion myself recently and have stopped buying their meat unless there's time issues. Definitely inferior quality. And Lidl too. Back to the butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

JohnC. wrote: »

Some of the factories are basically production lines with live animals going in one door, killed, chilled, chopped and packed and then sent out to the waiting trucks.

While there is some selecting of cuts for both premium and cheaper outlets I strongly suspect that differences are probably due to handling and storage after the packs leave the factories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

The same meat factory may pack for other supermarkets but Tesco's do not appear to use the same quality meat or at the very least, they do not handle their meat the same as other stores. We have a Dunnes, SuperValu, Lidl, Aldi, Tesco and a number of butchers near us, so we have done the 'taste test'. Tesco's meat is woeful IMHO. It seems other posters agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I never understand why people buy meat in supermarkets.

A trip to the butchers will get you better quality meat at much cheaper prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

JohnC. wrote: »

They don't. The packets are just changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

cruais wrote: »
    I never understand why people buy meat in supermarkets.

A trip to the butchers will get you better quality meat at much cheaper prices.

Not the butchers around here at any rate.

Quality, absolutely, but you pay for it.

Worth it for some things like steaks or a roast, but if its mince for bolognese or chicken thighs for a curry it'll be tesco every time...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

BeardySi wrote: »
    Not the butchers around here at any rate.

Quality, absolutely, but you pay for it.

Worth it for some things like steaks or a roast, but if its mince for bolognese or chicken thighs for a curry it'll be tesco every time...

Mince is the one meat thing i refuse to eat from supermarkets. Grey gloop compared to the local butchers stuff.
    My local butchers is right beside a supermarket and a lot of people come in only for the mince after getting everything else in the supermarket.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

enricoh wrote: »
    Mince is the one meat thing i refuse to eat from supermarkets. Grey gloop compared to the local butchers stuff.
    My local butchers is right beside a supermarket and a lot of people come in only for the mince after getting everything else in the supermarket.

Yep same here, the mince from the super markets is awful stuff. I get 98% stuff from the butcher for 4 euro per pound. It's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

enricoh wrote: »

I've never once got grey gloopy mince in any supermarket. The butcher's is fine too but I'm normally looking for chicken breasts as well and they're a disgrace in my local one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

My wife is from a farm and she won't use Tesco meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

We bought a premium Tesco roast for Christmas to go with the turkey. This was it after all edible meat was removed... which was not much, and it was horrible.

We took the picture but never got round to complaining...
    IMG-7744.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

That was from trying to cut meat off it, I imagine the Mrs was pretty pissed off too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭6541

Tesco meat is ****e, end of.

Advertisement