Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

300 euro Gaming PC

Options
  • 06-01-2019 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi folks,

Young Lad is looking for a gaming. Have a 1TB HD. Any suggestions on better parts or anything for the price. Don't really wanna spend more than 300 as he's very young.

(Also probably try out GTA5 and fifa and some new releases myself)

Will be hooked up to a 58 Inch TV. I will be buying the stuff off adverts first.

I presume this will play any new releases for a good while anyway

35 pounds Corsair VS 450 W Amazon
    I5 4570 40 euro CEX
    30 euro 8GB DDR3 Cex
    23 Pound CIT Hero Case
    40 Euro MSI H81m Adverts
    120 Euro 390x Adverts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Will GTA even play without a GPU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 james678

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Will GTA even play without a GPU?

Theres a 390 x there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,033 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

james678 wrote: »
    Theres a 390 x there.

Sorry missed that completely!!

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Sorry missed that completely!!

No worries, Just want people's opinion before I start putting down offers on adverts for the motherboard and GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Why dont you get him a console if its for a TV? doesnt make sense going a pc route when he cant comfortable use a keyboard and mouse.

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Why dont you get him a console if its for a TV? doesnt make sense going a pc route when he cant comfortable use a keyboard and mouse.

I won't go into too much detail but console games are like 70 euro. PC Games are free.

Also I'm going to use it for streaming.

I'll pick up a wired controller for cheap as well off amazon or ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Pc games aren't free. Don't be that guy.

Not going to offer any advice given the details. Good luck.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Pc games aren't free. Don't be that guy.

Not going to offer any advice given the details. Good luck.

No worries.
    sugarman wrote: »
    You'd prob get an old dell optiplex with the same base spec for less (Inc a license key) leaving you with a bit more to add a slightly better card. Maybe a 580?

Not too worried about the windows license, just a watermark on the screen.

I'll have a look at the dell's but are the power supplies in them rubbish? Its been 10 years nearly now since I built my last PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hi folks,

Young Lad is looking for a gaming. Have a 1TB HD. Any suggestions on better parts or anything for the price. Don't really wanna spend more than 300 as he's very young.

(Also probably try out GTA5 and fifa and some new releases myself)

Will be hooked up to a 58 Inch TV. I will be buying the stuff off adverts first.

I presume this will play any new releases for a good while anyway

35 pounds Corsair VS 450 W Amazon
    I5 4570 40 euro CEX
    30 euro 8GB DDR3 Cex
    23 Pound CIT Hero Case
    40 Euro MSI H81m Adverts
    120 Euro 390x Adverts

That el-cheapo 450W power supply simply won't cut it for an R9-390X - those GPUs are power-hungry monsters, you'd be looking at 300-380W from it alone.

Either get a different GPU or double the PSU budget; you'll want 630-650W minimum & 80+ Bronze/Silver/Gold certification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Agree with the above about needing a much better supply, and you're better off at this point getting a 2nd hand i7-3770 for €90 and a H61M board off Ebay....the i5-4570 doesn't cut it very well in some of the latest games, let alone last a few years as you've mentioned! It'd be grand for COD, Overwatch, and those kind of things at 60fps, but it suffers pretty badly already in the likes of Battlefield, Assassins Creed, and a few others with frequent hitching/frame drops.

In fact on that budget, I would just get an i7-3770 or 4770 based machine with 8GB ram for €180-200 on Ebay, then throw in a 2nd hand GTX1050Ti for €120-130, and the job is done. I wouldn't worry about upgrades, or low wattage power supplies, as a) new cards will come out that offer increased performance without needing a six pin and b) it's a cheap first PC, the next one might be a 'proper' build if he gets enough use out of this one.

Some of the cheap 2nd hand workstations will have six-pin connectors to allow you to use the likes of RX570/GTX1060 class cards, HP Z220, Z400, etc, and the Dell equivalent, but you'd have to google to get the exact specs on each model.

The 390X is still a great card, but you would want a much better PSU and a decent case with good airflow too as it's a very hot card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yup I would second that advice. Get a refurbished Dell from Ebay (with i7 3770 or 4770) and grab a 2nd hand 1050ti (have also seen a few 480's and 580's going cheap on Ebay). Yes the PSU's in the Dells are not the best, but modern low/mid-range GPUs draw low power these days so it's not as big an issue as it used to be, plus the crypto drop has meant there are quite a few GPUs on the market now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

PC Games are free.

Some great parenting on display here:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Rob2D wrote: »
    Some great parenting on display here:pac:

Let's be fair, we've all probably done it at some point...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Started in 2005, still rocking the jolly roger in 2019 :pac: Just weird people moan about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Agree with the above about needing a much better supply, and you're better off at this point getting a 2nd hand i7-3770 for €90 and a H61M board off Ebay....the i5-4570 doesn't cut it very well in some of the latest games, let alone last a few years as you've mentioned! It'd be grand for COD, Overwatch, and those kind of things at 60fps, but it suffers pretty badly already in the likes of Battlefield, Assassins Creed, and a few others with frequent hitching/frame drops.

In fact on that budget, I would just get an i7-3770 or 4770 based machine with 8GB ram for €180-200 on Ebay, then throw in a 2nd hand GTX1050Ti for €120-130, and the job is done. I wouldn't worry about upgrades, or low wattage power supplies, as a) new cards will come out that offer increased performance without needing a six pin and b) it's a cheap first PC, the next one might be a 'proper' build if he gets enough use out of this one.

Some of the cheap 2nd hand workstations will have six-pin connectors to allow you to use the likes of RX570/GTX1060 class cards, HP Z220, Z400, etc, and the Dell equivalent, but you'd have to google to get the exact specs on each model.

The 390X is still a great card, but you would want a much better PSU and a decent case with good airflow too as it's a very hot card.

I went the old workstation route. But it has a few drawbacks. Massive heavy boxes and very power hungry. Also lots of multi threading potential but poor single core performance.

I was thinking a high speed Pentium or i3-7100/8100 and 1050ti might be a leaner keener system. With some cheap upgrade potential in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

oh as a teenager with no money and access to cassette tapes originally and then later on blank floppy disks my eye patch was well in place but as games became more accessible with reasonable pricing after a while and sales I don't feel the need to pirate any more.
    I do buy the odd game off key sites but that is more of a slight limp rather than a full peg leg

beauf wrote: »
    I went the old workstation route. But it has a few drawbacks. Massive heavy boxes and very power hungry. Also lots of multi threading potential but poor single core performance.

I was thinking a high speed Pentium or i3-7100/8100 and 1050ti might be a leaner keener system. With some cheap upgrade potential in the future.

An i3-7100 is light years behind an i7-3770 though, and an i3-8100 is also more prone to hiccups in the latest games.

An i3-8100 build gives more upgrade potential, but it'll be more expensive than buying a workstation + card, and the i7-3770 is still superior for new games.

The i3-8100 might have better max frames in some titles, but the minimum frames would be better on the 3770 on the latest intensive games.

If going that route (the 8100), a Ryzen 1400 makes more sense really, as like the i7 it's quad core/eight thread.

I wondering will you get a i7-3770 system & card for 300.

Also the games (latest intensive games & new games) that have problem with a 8100 will you realistically be able to play them on a 300 budget.

Yes, i7-3770 on Ebay (or equivalent Xeon) and throw in a 2nd hand card for €100-ish. RX570/GTX1060 3GB goes for €120 2nd hand for example, and most workstations will have a six-pin connector. €350 would see it through to run games at high settings. If you want to keep it strictly €300, can just get a cheaper card.

Any links to GTX1060 3GB for €120 delivered.

• Advertisement

Here's a GTX1060 for €122 with offers accepted, I didn't say it was €120 delivered, people generally don't include minor postage costs when talking about the price of cards.

Here's an i7-3770 with 8GB ram and a Quadro 2000 for €225 plus offers accepted also.

so all in all, make a few offers, and it shouldn't come to more than about €350. Ebay obviously changes day to day depending on what's available but you can get an i7-3770 machine for cheaper than that regularly.

Good prices but I doubt you'd get them in the door for much less than 400. Which is good. But its not 300. At 400 its not far off adverts.

Assuming they'd accept reasonable offers (even £8 off asking each) it would be around €360 delivered, and you can keep an eye out on Ebay for better deals, you can get the i7-3770 machine cheaper sometimes, and it's not uncommon for RX570's to go for around 115 on Ebay or Adverts, so the €350 is doable.

RX570 seem like a good deal all seem to have come from mining rigs though. Is that an issue? Power hungry too.

Advertisement