Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install 5amp

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

In the Czech Republic the only significant departure from what would be seen here is that they no neutral to the sub-distribution boards and MCCs, just 3 phases and an earth in a 4 core armoured cable. To get a neutral for final circuits they would neutralise at every sub-distribution board or MCC.

I have seen something like it in Ireland before. But at each Sub-DB they had a transformer to get a star point for your neutral, it ment an awful lot of traffos of various sizes in each mcc. It must have been expensive to install. I could only think was it an effort to reduce harmonics?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I was not suggesting that this was acceptable in the south

I know. I was just making the point that when this occurs in the ROI it is not due to different regualtions, it is due to not caring or knowing any better.
    - I was pointing out that it was a result of forcing southern equipment into a northern assembly without any regard for compatibility or suitability.

....or just not installing it properly? I mean that using the busbar I described would make it compliant in the UK. Double pole RCBOs are permitted in the UK when properly installed.
    I have found older jobs in Donegal too where sockets have been added (say upstairs) and these have been fitted into a northern-style DB without RCD protection presumably from 16th Edition thinking of sockets which were not liable to supply portable equipment outdoors.

Again, not caring and / or not knowing any better. I have seen this in Dublin too.
    As for industrial installations being practically identical I think you will find where it comes to distribution boards and switchgear they remain quite different.

Nope, and I have been part of a design team for a project in the UK (more on the I & C end). Last time many of the loads were motors on soft starters, VSDs ad a few small DOL's. Protective devices aligned with manufacturers recommendations (ABB in this case). There are not UK specific recommendations for fuses, MCCBs etc. We took the same approach as we did Ireland on a similar project. Short circuit protection for VSDs was provided by BS88 fuses with larger units using MCCBs. The main DB used the same range of ACBs on both projects. When I worked on a project in Spain it was the same again except that they used Schneider.

But ET101 and BS7671 are by no means identical.

Agreed.
    As already stated ET101 and BS7671 outline minimum standards for each jurisdiction. A consultancy in Ireland (for example) will design industrial installations across the EU (inc. the UK) to the same standard and using a similar philosophy which surpasses the local regulations. This results in near identical standards and designs being implemented on plants regardless of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Actually, what it says to me is that in both jurisdictions, despite recent tightening of rules and laws, that there's still a much weaker inspection and regulatory regime for residential / small installations than would be the case in much of continental Europe and the United States.

We've a very laissez-faire, self-regulation history in both Ireland and the UK when it comes to trades and residential work. It's improving but it's nothing like the scenario in countries where things like periodic inspection is normal for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Actually, what it says to me is that in both jurisdictions, despite recent tightening of rules and laws, that there's still a much weaker inspection and regulatory regime for residential / small installations than would be the case in much of continental Europe and the United States.

We've a very laissez-faire, self-regulation history in both Ireland and the UK when it comes to trades and residential work. It's improving but it's nothing like the scenario in countries where things like periodic inspection is normal for decades.

Do you think we should implement a permit system like in Canada and the US and have heavy fines if not adhered to?

Advertisement