If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookshelf speakers choice

Options
  • 06-01-2019 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I've read too much lately about the following;
    Q-Acoustics 3020 / Wharfedale 220 / Mission LX2.
    If I believe the reviews, the worst thing that can be said about the 3020's is that they lack bass and the Wharfedales are a bit polite.
    As most of the music I listen to is prog and Dad rock and I'm looking for a more vintage sound would the Missions suit better?
    (Also, what's the best price you could do for them and some good quality cable?)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Lamneth1 wrote: »
    If I believe the reviews, the worst thing that can be said about the 3020's is that they lack bass and the Wharfedales are a bit polite.
    As most of the music I listen to is prog and Dad rock and I'm looking for a more vintage sound would the Missions suit better?
    (Also, what's the best price you could do for them and some good quality cable?)
    Hi Lamneth,

thanks for the post and apologies for keeping you waiting!

The one thing I would never say about the 3020's is that they lack bass!!

I'm going to assume that you are referring to the original QA 3020 rather than the new 'i' versions?

If so I honestly think they are a complete bargain and at £119 / €129 there is very little to touch them - the LX2 are reasonable but don't really touch the 3020's if you are into rock! The 220's are excellent to be fair and a real buy at just £99 / €129 but again I would always opt for the 3020, especially if you are into prog.

In terms of pricing - they are already rock bottom in terms of pricing - I don't think you will find them cheaper any where else but of course if you do we are happy to look at any price-beat subject to our normal T'c and C's  - thanks again and don't hesitate to drop us a line if we can assist in any way.
    ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lamneth1

Lamneth1 wrote: »
    Hi Lamneth,

thanks for the post and apologies for keeping you waiting!

The one thing I would never say about the 3020's is that they lack bass!!

I'm going to assume that you are referring to the original QA 3020 rather than the new 'i' versions?

If so I honestly think they are a complete bargain and at £119 / €129 there is very little to touch them - the LX2 are reasonable but don't really touch the 3020's if you are into rock! The 220's are excellent to be fair and a real buy at just £99 / €129 but again I would always opt for the 3020, especially if you are into prog.

In terms of pricing - they are already rock bottom in terms of pricing - I don't think you will find them cheaper any where else but of course if you do we are happy to look at any price-beat subject to our normal T'c and C's  - thanks again and don't hesitate to drop us a line if we can assist in any way.
    ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Thanks John - and yes, I think you're right about the review I read on the 3020's.
    Just one more thing - the room they're for is about 20 x 30ft - will they be ok for a room that size?

The 3020 are capable of going loud no problem but it all depends on what amp you are using to drive them - of course if you are using an amp that is under-powered the 3020 may struggle and get distorted AND louder at the same time ( which is never a good combo!)

If you know what amp you are using we are happy to advise :)

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Here's my quandry.
    I listen to most of my music (CD Radio iPod) through a Panasonic SC-PMX2 Mini Hi-Fi - 80W per channel / 4 ohms 
    However, it has no phono input so I also have an old Sony [font=Arial, sans-serif]TA-FE370 amp that I play my turntable through - 70W per chanel / 4 ohms.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Hope they're suitable.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Would love advice on how to bridge the gap and run everything through one set-up[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]I dream of a Cambridge Audio AM10 or similar which would cover everything I need bar a CD player.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]I'm open to a reasonably priced alternative including a CD player in the long term, but for the moment the speakers as a priority[/font]

To be honest it's sort of Hobson's choice  - in an ideal world I would opt to use the TAFE370 as your main amplification and the MX82 as a source but from memory I dont think that the Panasonic has a line out so you have to use this in reverse with the X82 as the amp and the TAFE370 essentially acting as a pre-amp.

I think that the SA-PMX82 is well able to drive the 3020's but may struggle in a larger room if you try to drive them very hard whilst a dedicated Separates Amp will be able to drive the 3020's withe headroom to spare.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

To be honest it's sort of Hobson's choice  - in an ideal world I would opt to use the TAFE370 as your main amplification and the MX82 as a source but from memory I dont think that the Panasonic has a line out so you have to use this in reverse with the X82 as the amp and the TAFE370 essentially acting as a pre-amp.

I think that the SA-PMX82 is well able to drive the 3020's but may struggle in a larger room if you try to drive them very hard whilst a dedicated Separates Amp will be able to drive the 3020's withe headroom to spare.

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Well remembered John - the Panasonic has no line out - which really is a pain!

Yep, I agree... but it should be fine once you are not driving the bejasus out of it :D

ATVB

John Mc & Crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.