Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop the Stash!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Waaaah I really want a Lisa Eldridge lipstick! Determined to stay strong :(

Edit: They not back in stock yet... but that will exaggerate the lust factor when they come back lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Twee. wrote: »
    Waaaah I really want a Lisa Eldridge lipstick! Determined to stay strong :(

Edit: They not back in stock yet... but that will exaggerate the lust factor when they come back lol

I'm allowing myself a free pass for limited edition stuff I really want

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

This might be a really stupid question, but is there anywhere that actually takes donations of new or partially used products? I get that with foundations etc it would be deemed unhygienic, but I have lots of nail varnishes, unopened creams, sample size things, barely used palettes etc that I have come across while trying to use what I have and will NEVER get to use them. Seems a shame to just bin them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

kcdiom wrote: »
    This might be a really stupid question, but is there anywhere that actually takes donations of new or partially used products? I get that with foundations etc it would be deemed unhygienic, but I have lots of nail varnishes, unopened creams, sample size things, barely used palettes etc that I have come across while trying to use what I have and will NEVER get to use them. Seems a shame to just bin them!
    Possibly women's shelters? I don't think the likes of charity shops will take them. What I've done with stuff I've hardly used that just doesn't suit me is put it up on one of my local facebook buy and sell groups and give away for free, usually to a teenage girl who asks nicely for them.
    Have you any younger nieces, cousins, neighbours etc who might like them.

I've often seen cosmetics in charity shops, there's no reason why they wouldn't accept stuff that's unopened. I've also left stuff in myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I give ends of perfumes, unopened cosmetics and anything with a pump (even if I've broken the seal) to my local charity shop - they're always happy to receive them.
    Shampoos and shower gels that don't suit etc go to my local womens' shelter.
    If there's a direct provision centre in your area they might accept them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

kcdiom wrote: »
    This might be a really stupid question, but is there anywhere that actually takes donations of new or partially used products?
    There is a charity in the UK that accepts unopened products, including minis from hotels
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/oct/06/beauty-banks-help-people-too-poor-to-buy-toothpaste-tampons-sali-hughes

Thanks all - will get the load together and go from there. My daughter would hoard it and as we are planning to move soon, I dont know that giving it to her would be a great idea!

If you have a local community/outreach centre drop in and ask, our local has a program that includes job-seekers prep classes for women, such as young mams, and I'm pretty sure I sent a box of nearly new and new make up & nail polish there before (via a friend so not 100% on name of program). They do classes on presentation, outfits etc.

I'm off to London next week, my friend has been warned not to let me near Kiko. I'll be alone in the airport so who knows what'll go down :p

I'm off to London next week, my friend has been warned not to let me near Kiko. I'll be alone in the airport so who knows what'll go down :p

I love and hate Kiko equally!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Well, firstly remind yourself that as an Italian brand, Kiko is less good value in the UK typically. Also, its quite hit and miss. I've definitely gone in there over excited in the past, had a head rush and come out with some pretty average stuff. Maybe if you do go, only allow yourself to purchase things you know are good rather than a scatter-gun approach?

Can't help you with the airport, those places are very tempting! Although personally, I'm more of a liability with in the alcohol section, namely gin, but sure at least that doesnt go to waste!

SozBbz wrote: »
    Can't help you with the airport, those places are very tempting! Although personally, I'm more of a liability with in the alcohol section, namely gin, but sure at least that doesnt go to waste!

I went from working in the beauty industry to working in the gin industry, my vices are following me everywhere!

How's everyone doing 6 weeks in?

I am just about finished a LRP Serozinc. I really like this product, I will repurchase after I finish the ends of some other toners I have lying around.

I dipped into my skincare box to find two half used daily moisturisers. One from Nip & Fab, I do not like the smell and it has no SPF at all so I'll get rid of that using it under nighttime make up, and an Olay Featherweight which I quite like, possible repurchase.

I have three bars of lovely soap, think I was subconsciously "keeping" them because they're a bit fancy, so they're next to be used. And less packaging waste than my beloved Rituals foam shower-gel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

I have about 10 eyeshadow palettes with about 4 left in each. Any tips for using these up?

Would you consider depotting them into one palette, if they're all in one place you might be inclined to reach for it more? Eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Allwon-Magnetic-Palette-Eyeshadow-Lipstick/dp/B077WVXRFK/ref=sr_1_14_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1550228541&sr=8-14&keywords=empty+palett

Quite well actually. I've a few products used up and have moved onto others in my stash. Will do a detailed post next week when I've a bit more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I used up a sample of La Roche Posay Cicaplast B5 that's been sat in my drawer for about a year - I get very sore dry skin on my knuckles in Winter (could be eczema) so I gathered a load of samples a while back, then forgot about them when it cleared up! Tried it again this week and found it absolutely brilliant (it clears up scaly elbows overnight too :D ), so I've bought a larger size and also the one that's specifically a hand cream. Fantastic products, and cheap too - I don't know why I thought LRP was an expensive brand?!
    This'll save me buying lots of random moisturisers, balms and emollients in the future.

Yeah they're actually decent value for the work they do especially when you get on offer in Boots, and some of the sizes are huge! The face wash I use is 400mls, lasts forever. Per ml, it's about the same or a bit cheaper than say Neutrogena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

So far I've emptied two serums... vichy mineral 69 hylaronic serum and a nuxe brightening serum. Both only ok, wouldn't repurchase.

Also half way through a vit c serum from the ordinary. I love the effect on my skin but it's a pain as stays tacky for ages. Can't layer products straight away as it will pill.

Have some sample sized and travel sized serums and creams I'm working my way through now.

Bought just two single mac shadows I'd hit pan on.

Yeah they're actually decent value for the work they do especially when you get on offer in Boots, and some of the sizes are huge! The face wash I use is 400mls, lasts forever. Per ml, it's about the same or a bit cheaper than say Neutrogena.

That face wash was awful on me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Recliner

I usually go between a Clinique primer and the Flormar one but was just out of both and found an e.l.f. Aqua Primer mist spray that I bought a couple of months ago so I said I'd give it a go. Used it 3 times and haven't changed anything else with my makeup and each morning my face but especially my chin is covered in spots!
    Last straw was this morning, I just cleansed and moisturised and it was so bad I didn't even want to put makeup over it. My husband was gobsmacked at how bad my skin looked.
    So, I won't be shopping that stash, it's going in the bin.

I have resisted buying stuff and have a load of unused products ready to donate to somewhere. Packing to move house so trying to be honest and realistic with myself about what I will use! I found whole sets of Ren skincare and Clarins skincare, dont even remember buying them so once I have used the half used bottles lying around, they are next on the hit list. Also disposed of about half of my foundation collection, and a load of other make up - daughter & friends are delighted with life!

• Hit pan on wet n wild blusher Apri-cot in the middle. Lovely shade. Decided to dig out another blusher to work my way through. Have another wet n wild blush called Pearlescent pink but it's far to strong for my skin tone. Too Aunt Sally for me but would suit someone with a darker complexion. Currently using Benefit's Gold Rush blusher, nice shade makes me look healthy.
    • Finished off a small perfume I had from Sephora called Cotton Flower - lovely Spring fragrance, might be a bit sweet for some. Currently working my way through Michael Buble's Invitation perfume. I got it cos I'm a fan but to be honest if I had smelt it in store I probably wouldn't have got it. It smells ok after it settles on the skin but when it's being sprayed I'm not mad about it.
    • Finished off the Sanctuary gentle polish body scrub. I've been through a few of these over the years, usually from gift sets. I've another one ready.
    • Used up another No7 Beautiful Skin hydration mask. I think this is the second or third one of these I've used up. Have another one to start that I got in a gift set at Christmas.
    • I have quite a few sheet masks at home, I went through a phase of picking them up in Penneys and went mad buying a load when I was in Sephora last year. I'm going to try use them up. I'm a bit shocked at how much waste there is from a single sheet mask so I probably won't being repurchasing. Most recent one I've used is a Sephora for energising the skin and I wasn't overly impressed with it.
    • Finished up the Cien eye makeup remover. I seen a blogger recommend this and as it looked so familiar to my usual Nivea one I said I'd give it a go. It's a bit oiler than the Nivea one but just as effective and a bargain price. Now I'm using a No7 eye makeup remover that I got in the gift set but I think the Nivea and Cien one's are better so I'll be repurchasing one of those when my No7 one runs out.
    • Le Mara Hyaluronic face serum. Special buy from Aldi. It's grand, not wow. Think I've another one stashed in the drawer but I've a half bottle of The Ordinary Hyaluronic serum I'm going to use up first.
    • Clinque sparkle skin body exfoliator. Got in a gift set the previous Christmas. It was fine, wouldn't repurchase.
    • Superdrug Vitamin E eye cream. It took ages to use this up. It was ok, I expected it to be more hydrating. The odd time it felt a bit tingly under my eyes so mightn't be great if you have sensitive skin.
    • Currently have two mascaras on the go - a Kiko brown one and a sample of Too Faced Better than sex mascara. Not mad about the wand for the Kiko one. I think the Too Faced one flakes on me a bit. Both mascaras seem to be transferring onto my brow bone by early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Good! I've not bought anything. I've had a few near misses when special offers have caught my eye, but my beauty spend (excluding daily essentials like shampoo, toothpaste etc which i don't hoard anyway) has been €0 in 2019 to date.

Still chipping away at my 10 foundations, not near the end of any of them as far as I can tell. I've been away so even with my (very light) tan its making it easier for me to wear some of them now.

Palettes are still a bit of an issue in that I have too many. I've resolved not to buy anymore MAC palettes as I don't really like either of the two I have. I've hit pan on a few shades in this super versitile Stila palette (https://www.beautybay.com/p/stila/perfect-me-perfect-hue-eye-cheek-palette/fair-light/?ctyid=ie&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiA767jBRBqEiwAGdAOr0z0F3RmUj_TyHQxIlErqa3Rbq-WIQS8_h0wbBuW9NKanjQUm_Dd0RoC6k0QAvD_BwE) as its great for everyday wear and so handy to just throw in a bag if you're going anywhere. So thats something I could repurchase guilt free when the time comes.

I also finished off a Makeup Forever translucent HD powder (I'd bought its replacement months ago) so I've moved on to the new one, but its a great product and will probably repurchase again. Super light and velvety, doesnt leave you looking caked.

SozBbz wrote: »
    Palettes are still a bit of an issue in that I have too many.
    I find the way I get to use my palettes is do what I call "palette of the week". I put one palette in my everyday makeup bag and that's the eyeshadow palette I've to use for the week. Cant use any others, all my looks have to come from this and try to change the look most days if I can. You will find after about 2 months you will know which palettes you just won't use and will discover one's you had forgotten about.
    This week's I'm using a Zoeva one I got in Sephora last summer called Caramel Melange. Unplanned purchase, got it purely because I didn't have anything from Zoeva and not sure you can get them in Ireland. Good pigmentation from it, a palette I tend to forget about.

Gave up buying pallets I love the same 3 or 4 mac shadows so I just stick with them.

Gifted my urban decay and morphe pallets to my niece, I'm flavour of the month now lol.

I really really want the hourglass ambient lightening pallet on spacenk. Can't get it out of my mind. Have one of the powders already and it's gorgeous.

Trying to talk myself out of it.... €70 for 6 travel sized powders. I'll think about it some more.

La.de.da wrote: »
    Gave up buying pallets I love the same 3 or 4 mac shadows so I just stick with them.

Gifted my urban decay and morphe pallets to my niece, I'm flavour of the month now lol.

I really really want the hourglass ambient lightening pallet on spacenk. Can't get it out of my mind. Have one of the powders already and it's gorgeous.

Trying to talk myself out of it.... €70 for 6 travel sized powders. I'll think about it some more.

I'm the same about palettes and have fallen back in love with Mac eyeshadows.

This may be against the spirit of the thread but life is short and if you want the Hourglass palette & will get use out of it, why not go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

La.de.da wrote: »

Heya I have the trio palette and it does nothing for me - will pop in post to you if you PM me your address - its a bit wrecked on the outside but the powders inside are fine. Would rather give it to someone who wanted to try it than bin it!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I haven't finished up anything yet. I did go through some of my cheaper makeup and gave it to my goddaughter. She's into irish dancing and gets loads of use out of it.

I've also managed not to buy anything else, including in the boots 70% off sale which is usually my downfall. I've a couple of work trips coming up, Copenhagen and Boston and i'm going to try and stay strong and only buy items that i actually need.

• Advertisement

ams wrote: »
    Heya I have the trio palette and it does nothing for me - will pop in post to you if you PM me your address - its a bit wrecked on the outside but the powders inside are fine. Would rather give it to someone who wanted to try it than bin it!

ah thank you. I've pm'd xx

Advertisement