Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop the Stash!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

Some of the products I have used up over the past few months

Oskia Cleansing Gel – I don’t get the hype on this. Don’t get me wrong it is nice but I don’t see anything over amazing about it

Herbivore Phoenix Facial Oil (sample size) – used this on its own if felt very dry or a few drops mixed in with my moisturiser on not so dry days. Very nice product. Absorbs quickly and nicely scented. Would definitely consider purchasing full size

Mauli Supreme Skin Face Serum (sample size) – I would call this an oil more than a serum. Strong scent of essential oils which I liked but may not be for everyone. As the Herbivore above, used on its own on dry skin days and mixed with moisturiser on other days. Would buy full size

Both the Herbivore and Mauli made my skin feel lovely and soft and helped with the tight feeling my skin can get during winter in air conditioning offices.

REN Day Cream – thick day moisturiser cream but absorbs quickly. Nice cream and worked well with the oils I had introduced to my routine

Tata harper Resurfacing Mask (sample size) – Fab. U. Lous Skin feels so soft after this. Clear gel going on. Sets on face but not to an uncomfortable cannot move my face level. Wipe off with warm water and ummmmm soft soft skin. I’m afraid to look at how expensive a full size is :eek:

Rituals Shower Gel – The rituals of Ayurveda (red bottle) Love this. Love the scent. Love the luxurious feel of them. I wonder if my skin doesn’t love it as much, as my skins is itchy, Not red. No marks, but itch so I am hoping it is a clothes detergent or something

Quai Dry Shampoo – great for volume. Leaves the icky feeling that dry shampoos can leave in your hair but I only use it on odd occasions so I can put up with it. It bugs me when dry shampoos make your clean hair feel icky but that’s a personal thing.

Sephora Lip Mask - cheap and did nothing for my lips - good bad or indifferent

Nuxe Reve de Miel Lip balm
    – super stuff for dry chapped lips

Marks & Spencer Absolute Sleep Cream (sample size) skin felt nice, soft and moisturised the morning after.

HourGlass Veil Primer – I did not like this when I first used it. I could see no benefit to it, makeup did not appear to go on better or to last longer. I didn’t throw it away as it was expensive. Pulled it out in the last few weeks and really liking it. I think initially I was putting too much on. I now use one pump and use a makeup brush to work it in.

Mac Studio Fix Foundation – finished this and it will take will power to use up my other foundations before repurchasing :cool: Definitely my top foundation. Blends easily. Looks great over the primer or Charlotte Tilbury Flawless Filter, lasts the day without feeling drying. Great colour match for me.

Ardell Stroke of Brow – too much effort. I like the natural look and control it gives when filling in your brows, but it dries up quickly despite storing it upside down, the shaking and manipulation needed to get product on to the bristles, just ain’t worth in my opinion

There is probably more that I can’t think of right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I finished my Image The Max stem cell cleanser last night (whoop!)

Now only 5 other Image cleaners in various states of fullness to go through before the 2019 Christmas boxes come out next November :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Few recent empties:

Just finished up the Catrice liquid concealer. I've gone through so many of these over the years. I really want to repurchase but I've so many other concealers in my drawer that I just don't reach for - I'm going to have to make myself use up some of them. But really I can see myself just repurchasing this yet again!

NYX HD eye shadow base - feels like I've had this for ever! I only bought it cos I was buying other stuff online and needed something cheap I think to get free shipping. It was grand and did the job.

The Ordinary serum foundation - I kinda like it but I don't love it. It would be great if you had super dry/dehydrated skin. But I find that the foundation doesn't really "set" for me, it feels to me like it could move or rub off. It does give a nice satin finish with medium coverage. I don't find it buildable due to it not really setting on my face, when I have tried I just find that I'm moving the product continuously around me face. Ah it's grand for those days were I'm not overly fussed about my makeup.

Benefit "that gal" brightening face primer - it was fine for giving a bit of a glow. But it's got a metallic kind of sheen to it, you would have to put a foundation or something over it. Not even sure if they stock it anymore, I've had it a while.

L'Oreal dream lengths shampoo. I've been using different L'Oreal shampoos and conditioners over the years and bulk buy them once a year from a chemist near by husband's home place that always has great offers on. The only thing is since I bought it I've been getting my hair cut shorter and shorter so it probably defeated the purpose of this shampoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Finished two No. 7 products, a moisturiser and an SPF. They were grand but won't repurchase.
    Got rid of my Naked palette, I had reached pan on about four colours but the darker shades were untouched as I never found a good way to apply them. I've had it about five years so it owed me nothing. Still looking for a similar palette but with fewer darker shades because they're wasted on me.
    Have reached the end of a bottle of The Ordinary HA. Not sure what to buy to replace it. I have used a Pestle and Mortar one but didn't see a difference. Might just repurchase The Ordinary one given how cheap it is.
    Not quite a stash thing but retired several brushes which I never used, or used and then remembered why I don't use them.

Coming to the end of my first foundation from my stockpile. Its the Catrice HD foundation and while its actually really good - the closest dupe to EL Double Wear that I've found, I won't be repurchasing (yet).

If I didnt have 9 other foundations waiting to be used I would absolutely buy it again. Its about €7, and if you like that slightly matte but not caked look that Double Wear gives, then its a great affordable option.

I will probably buy it again once I've made a dent in the rest of my foundations (even if I finish my existing bottle of Double Wear! I tell a lie, I have 2 bottles of DW, but one is for when I wear tan, so that will basically never be finished!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

SozBbz wrote: »
    Coming to the end of my first foundation from my stockpile. Its the Catrice HD foundation and while its actually really good - the closest dupe to EL Double Wear that I've found, I won't be repurchasing (yet).

If I didnt have 9 other foundations waiting to be used I would absolutely buy it again. Its about €7, and if you like that slightly matte but not caked look that Double Wear gives, then its a great affordable option.

I will probably buy it again once I've made a dent in the rest of my foundations (even if I finish my existing bottle of Double Wear! I tell a lie, I have 2 bottles of DW, but one is for when I wear tan, so that will basically never be finished!

I'm loving the Catrice HD mixed with a drop of rose gold coloured highlighter at the moment - I find I only need to use half the amount of foundation because the highlighter gives it a bit more "slip"/spreadability, and it gives a surprisingly natural, healthy finish :)
    (Also, I'm finally using up that highlighter!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Dug out my tube of Laura Mercier illuminous silk foundation this morning. I forgot how lovely it looks on the skin. My gripe with it before was that it would slide around my face (esp when I have glasses on, around my nose) so I’ve tried it today with the pixi primer and my fingers are crossed. The finish on it is so lovely and naturally dewy without looking greasy or overly highlighter-y. No glitter either.

Some more empties 💕

Beauty Pie Vitamin C capsules. Easy to use. Little capsules so great for traveling. Feel they have really helped the texture of my skin. Have already repurchased 😊

Lixirskin Electrogel Cleanser. Use this as a second cleanse and love it. Creamy but does not foam. Can be left on for a minute as a mini mask. Would repurchase

Lancome skin feels good foundation / CC cream. This gives skin a fabulous glow finish. Light to medium coverage. Have other CC creams to use up but would buy again

Dr Sebagh serum repair. My favourite hyaluronic acid that I have used. No sticky feeling. Absorbs quickly. Nice compliment to other skincare

Pixi glow tonic. Nice acid/toner. No reaction to it. Would probably pick up again if on offer in Boots

Hyasoft moisture boost. Didn't like this. Left the skin feeling tacky and I personally don't like that.

Soleil spf 30. Finally getting in to the habit of spf everyday (I know I know) this is lovely on the skin. Not a thick gloopy formula. Slight tint to it so could wear alone. Sits well under makeup.

Lancome monsieur big mascara. Love this mascara. Gives lovely thick lashes. Does dry up quickly though which is my one negative with it but would buy again.

Finished my The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid this morning. Not repurchasing as I've other HA products to get through first (gotta shot that stash!) but its a nice product and wouldnt be against using it again in the future.

Also finished off another Catrice Liquid Camouflage concealer and have already repurchased. I only have one other under eye concealer on the go which is the Charlotte Tilbury one thats gotten mixed reviews, and I don't like it. Can't quite bring myself to throw it out (yet) but its hard to see myself finishing it.

Still havent bought much since christmas. Few bits here and there but I've definitely reduced my spend on beauty without actually going without on anything. Just goes to show we really don't need to buy everything that hits the market.

Still havent bought much since christmas. Few bits here and there but I've definitely reduced my spend on beauty without actually going without on anything. Just goes to show we really don't need to buy everything that hits the market.

Amen to this. I have been guilty of being totally influenced and buy the latest and greatest - a lot of times to just end up disappointed. I am finding a weird sense of achievement or pride perhaps??? in working through the stash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've bought much less too. I was far too easily influenced to buy, especially inexpensive products.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I haven’t hit the bottom on much but I have been good about not buying. I’ve been to Boston and London and managed to buy nothing even though I was at an outlet centre that had great value. But I needed nothing so I resisted. Thankfully the duty free was crap as I’d a load of time in the airport

I haven’t hit the bottom on much but I have been good about not buying. I’ve been to Boston and London and managed to buy nothing even though I was at an outlet centre that had great value. But I needed nothing so I resisted. Thankfully the duty free was crap as I’d a load of time in the airport

Thats very impressive! I always feel most likely to cave when I'm away.

Hoolies wrote: »
    Amen to this. I have been guilty of being totally influenced and buy the latest and greatest - a lot of times to just end up disappointed. I am finding a weird sense of achievement or pride perhaps??? in working through the stash.
    Same! In the past when I've seen something (usually on social media) and rushed out to buy it. Now I'm making myself wait until my supplies have run low. Eg I want to try the new tan Bare by Vogue - but I've at least 2 bottles of Bellamianta to get though yet and I'm not the biggest fake tan wearer. I also want to try the full coverage foundation from Carter Beauty but I'll wait until I finish another foundation or two from my stockpile.

I am going to American in the summer so I'll probably go mad there but at the same time I've been making a list of what I'd like to get. And it's another reason for me holding back my spends this year.

I said recently that I used up my holy grail Catrice liquid concealer. I decided I would hold off repurchasing and use up some of the other concealers I have here. Now I know why I don't use most of the other concealers - they aren't the right colour for me.
    I tried a mini urban decay concealer that I picked up in Sephora last year - but it's too dark. I've 2 Maybelline concealers - the much lauded colour corrector ones and they don't seem to work for me. So I've tried a MakeUpRevolution one that I forgot I had so I'll give this a few goes, first impressions is that it feels quite heavy.
    Thinking I just need to clear out my concealers and repurchase my holy grail!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

I've found Dury Free to be really bad value, I'd often get better deals on Debenhams. The only thing I'd regularly buy in DF is Clarins hand lotion for €15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I've been snowed under with work and bar doing the food shop haven't had time to leave the house in 3 weeks (I work from home) so I've actually used up loads of my stuff, to the extent I've been using my boyfriend's moisturiser and deodorant for the past week!! I have binned:

Vaseline cocoa butter spray moisturiser - always good for a quick, light moisturiser if I'm in a rush after my shower
    Soap & Glory Sugar Crush body butter - a bit heavier, smells nice
    Eucerin dry skin with urea - my go-to face moisturiser, always under €10 and a moisturiser that seems to actually make a difference to my skin, rather than disappearing without a trace within a minute or two.
    Catrice glam doll mascara, purple tube - this was nice when I bought it, dried up quite quickly though, I didn't finish it.
    Tarteist mascara, mini size from a pack - meh.

Will repurchase the Eucerin as always. Think I'm going to try the Cerave body moisturiser with hyaluronic acid, I don't know about the mascaras to be honest, none that I'm really loving at the moment!

A little update from me:
    • Rituals rejuvenating himalyan salt scrub. Smells fab, like a spa. But I don't know what it was, it stung my legs (I get them waxed once a month), so I just used it on my upper body.
    • Lush snow fairy shower gel - love this, it smells so sweet and sicky but I love it!
    • The Ordinary hyaluronic acid - not the first one of this I've used up but not sure if I'll repurchase, it doesn't wow me. I'm tempted to try the one from The InkyList. I have plenty of serums to keep me going for the moment.
    • The Ordinary rose hip seed oil - binned this, I don't know whether I've just had it too long or if it's always smelt like that but it smells very like oil you'd use for frying so I binned it!
    • Maybeline eraser eye concealer in Light - I don't know why I held onto this for so long, it's anything but light in colour.
    • Kiko mascara (brown) - think I've had this open for long enough. I like wearing brown mascara during the day, looks more natural for my fair eyelashes. Not mad on the wand.
    • Urban Decay trouble maker mascara - had a mini size of this unopened from last year but when I went to use it, it seems to have dried out.
    • No7 protect & perfect day moisturiser - with the gift set I got at xmas. Quite liked this, it's been a few years since I've used a No7 moisturiser and I'm not sure why I stopped using them. But this particular one retails at €35 which is a bit steep for me. Plus I've 3 more moisturisers in my drawer to get through yet. I may repurchase if I can get it on offer again, maybe another xmas set!
    • No7 revitalising eye makeup remover - Another item from the No7 xmas set. It was only ok, I've used better ones. Wouldn't repurchase and would chose the Lidl one over this.
    My husband even commented last night that my drawers in the ensuite are looking a bit more cleared out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I was about to break the no-buy to get some MAC BB Cream, a product I've repurchased many times but my colour was out of stock in BT and Arnotts! So another week of not buying, can't believe I've made it this far.

Recently have emptied loads of sample sized moisturisers and primers from various brands. One I would consider buying is the Bioderma hydrating serum. I had a bad patch of dry skin on my forehead and the serum sorted it right out.

Found tons of hotel shampoos/shower gels, Voya and other nice brands, so I will bring them on holidays. As I mentioned in another thread I'm determined to bring only hand luggage so that will help! I have loads of empty jars too so I will decant facewash etc and try not to buy anything new for the trip. Suncream I will buy when I get there.

I did another cull of products for the bin and reorganised my makeup so it's all laid out nicely and I can see everything. Hopefully that will help me use more if I can see it!

I was away over the weekend and bought some little pots from Penneys to distil my regular products into rather than buying more minis. Worked out pretty well.

I've also recently remembered why I love EL Double Wear and may have to repurchase it in my everyday colour (1N2 Ecru) even though I'm nowhere near through my pile of circa 10 foundations :(

I'm definitely being more cautious about what I buy though. I've stopped myself on a number of occasions.

• Advertisement

I was in America last week and bought some stuff but only bought what I products I was out of, which for me is a first!!! Bought Neutrogena hydrating mist and hyaluronic serum and a murad retinol. Only brought hand luggage for the week, so it was great to have minis and decanted others. Brought the YSL All Hours foundation with me. Maybe my skin was extra dry from the flight but if did not blend well at all. Will need to try it again and maybe use a damp beauty blender instead. That foundation was my last "influence" buy and I liked it when using it initially.

Has anyone managed to stick to this? I've had one or two slip ups (aka buying foundations from The Ordinary because I was in one of their stores, when I have 6 other open foundations!) but genreally I've done well.

There are somethings I'm struggling to get through.

- MAC eyeshaddow palettes. I've one of their x15 palettes (cant remember what its called, but its purples and neutrals) and I've had it about 2 years but I've just never found the colour payoff that good, and as such I don't reach for it. It was over €50 and at the time I thought it was going to be the ultimate palate but its been a let down.
    - MAC Risk Taker - I only bought this just before christmas and have hardly touched it. Bought on a whim in an airport. Found it hard to work wiht and never felt enthused to go back to it. I also find the highligher looks very unnatural.
    All the urban decay naked palettes. Now I think my original one is fairly well used, so could probably dump it guilt free, but the others never really worked that well for me. I just didnt find them as flattering as I'd hoped.

I keep reminding myself of these products when I go off to buy something without thinking it through and they've stopped me making further purchases. I came very close with a Zoeva palete in Arnotts the other day!

The palates I really use day to day are ABH Modern Renaissance and Stila Perfect Me in light/fair. They'll definitely get used up but beyond that this whole exercise has taught me how much of my stash I don't really like!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Has anyone managed to stick to this? I

To be honest its been eye opening. Ive come to the realisation that i'm not a heavy user of cosmetics and that it will take me years to get through my stash. I've finished hardly anything but it has been a great exercise in self control.

Ive also given away a good bit of my cheaper stuff to my god daughter who is big into irish dancing and goes through it really fast. Particularly the brighter eye shadows that i rarely wear and ive just kept one palette of brighter colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Has anyone managed to stick to this?

Hmm not really. I have been a lot better than I used to be so I am classing that as good progress! I really am trying harder to use up stuff and have given away a lot of things that I know hand on heart I wont ever get round to using up.

Has anyone managed to stick to this?
    Surprisingly yes! Strange satisfaction in finishing a product and binning it. I've found that most of what I've used up is fine but I wouldn't purchase again. I've noticed that here's a few products that I reach for most of the time. And some products seem to last for years and that I'll never get finished them! I did do a big clear out and gave away stuff that I knew I'd never use - mostly bits from Penneys like false nails, makeup used once, body lotions that come with perfumes etc.
    I've been good at resisting purchasing stuff but I'm going away in the summer and have a list of things I want to buy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I haven't bought any make up and I did a skincare product top up yesterday as Boots had 3-for-2 on the premium skincare. I got LRP face suncream for my hols, LRP facewash as mine is nearly out and Bioderma hydrating serum that I mentioned before. I had a sample size that I discovered while shopping my stash and I loved it!

I haven't yet finished any of the foundations that I have, two are particularly full coverage and that's just not my style anymore. They're near enough to empty so I should just get rid. One is Mac so I'll add it to the Back to Mac pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Twee you are rocking this!! I haven’t been as strong as you but have definitely shopped way less and am making a concerted effort to use up what I have already.

I’m In the US for the last week and have another week to go and have only had one visit to Sephora so far. Bought a travel size tarte palette for my SIL. Went in knowing what I wanted and didn’t go mad! Very proud! Also want to go to Walgreens, Walmart and CVS before I leave but I have very specific products in mind and I am determined not to buy outside my list. This list is only brands not available in Ireland so I’m telling myself that it’s grand.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Twee you are rocking this!! I haven’t been as strong as you but have definitely shopped way less and am making a concerted effort to use up what I have already.

I’m In the US for the last week and have another week to go and have only had one visit to Sephora so far. Bought a travel size tarte palette for my SIL. Went in knowing what I wanted and didn’t go mad! Very proud! Also want to go to Walgreens, Walmart and CVS before I leave but I have very specific products in mind and I am determined not to buy outside my list. This list is only brands not available in Ireland so I’m telling myself that it’s grand.... :o

As a matter of interest, what US brands do you find good? Going myself in July & need to focus my spending!

Icsics wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what US brands do you find good? Going myself in July & need to focus my spending!
    Yes tell us what you got! I'm going next month and am putting a shopping list together.

• Advertisement

Few more empties from me:
    • Sanctuary Intensive heel balm - had this for ages. I'm trying to get my feet looking presentable for the summer so used up the last of this. Didn't really see much improvement if I'm honest. Maybe I didn't use it frequently enough. I'm now using The Ordinary Heel Rescue and first impressions I like the smell.
    • Sanctuary radiance exfoliator - another thing I've had for ages from an Xmas set. It's just too harsh for the face so I binned it. I've just thought now that I could still use it on the body so I might go retrieve it from the bin when I get home...
    • Thalgo melt-away mask - love seaweed and marine based products. This smells lovely and feels like a really thick rich moisturiser. I would consider repurchasing but it's pricey at over €30 for 50ml (I won it in a draw in a pharmacy).
    • Aldi no1 Lime, basil & mandarin perfume - grand little perfume for work
    • No7 soft & soothed gentle toner - I've had this for years and went through phases of using it. I don't really see the point of it apart from removing scraps of makeup my cleanse has missed. It didn't feel hydrating and stubbornness made me use it up.

Advertisement