Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop the Stash!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Mostly pharmacy brands like physicians formula, Walgreens skincare and L’Oréal stuff that’s not available in Ireland. Then in Sephora I’m looking for tatcha, tarte and Sephora own brand. I really like the Sephora own brand blushers and bronzers. I bought some two years ago and STILL haven’t worked my way through the embossed logo on the powders. Super pigmented and great colour pay off. About $13 I think but totally worth the money. Price per wear on them is great.

Mostly in sephora i go to the section near the cashiers that has all the travel size production, I find that’s the best way to try a load of things I’m interested in without forking out the big bucks on full size items! They do high end brands in decent sized travel sizes, Nars, too faced, IT cosmetics, Ouai, Anastasia Beverley hills, milk, hour glass etc. So it’s a fun way of trying lots without spending a fortune!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Twee you are rocking this!! I haven’t been as strong as you but have definitely shopped way less and am making a concerted effort to use up what I have already.

To be honest, my reasons for sticking to this are part of a bigger lifestyle change. I'm not a vegan, I can't afford to buy spendy sustainable clothes, but I felt I needed to do something more for my footprint on the planet. Please don't take that as me being preachy, I am still wasteful and I'm not ready to give up cheese yet, but this seemed manageable for me for now! My last job was in fashion & beauty PR and the amount of careless waste is shocking. I contributed to that A LOT. This is my repentance :pac:

Any efforts we all make and for any reasons (environmental, money, just trying to use up stuff, Marie Kondo-ing your life, or just a good old-fashioned challenge), whether it's just thinking twice about buying something, is all good. I'm so pleased with how this thread has gone, everyone seems to have gained something from it, maybe even a few extra euro in their pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Well done Twee!

What you've said really resonates with me. I've also made changes this year and this is just a part of it.
    Like you, I'm probably not ready to go whole hog vegan etc, but that doesnt mean I should keep going as I was, spending freely on anything that caught my eye, whether or not I really wanted it or actually needed it.

I've upped my game in terms of recycling and reducing single use plastics, am having more meat free meals and generally just being a bit more conscious of my impact of the planet.

When shopping for clothes I pay a lot mroe attention to the labels and just refuse to buy polyester. I find the sustainable ranges from Zara and H&M very affordable. Also M&S use a lot of organic cottons.

I've only bought a few bits but its definitely less than I would have done in the past. I have more than enough of most things so am going to make a big effort to use what I have before buying more.

Fair play to you SozBbz! I think it's good to acknowledge that we can do little things and they all add up. No one is saying go vegan and stop buying TODAY or else, it's all about building up and seeing where you can reasonably start, I think naturally you progress from there.

It gets easier once you get used to the mindset. I still really enjoy shopping for clothes and reading about new fashion/beauty trends, I suppose I'm just a bit more strict about what I buy in to. Before I couldn't go into Penney's without picking up a few sheet masks, but then I saw Kirstie McDermott opening one on Insta stories and counting the pieces of plastic in one mask - seems obvious now but I was a little shocked! It had never even occurred to me.

I will keep my eyes peeled in the shops for those ranges, thank you for the recommendations.

One thing I've really wanted is the Chanel Baume Essentiel. I resisted on my last trip through the airport so might buy it next week when I'm there, a wee treat :)

Twee. wrote: »
    Fair play to you SozBbz! I think it's good to acknowledge that we can do little things and they all add up. No one is saying go vegan and stop buying TODAY or else, it's all about building up and seeing where you can reasonably start, I think naturally you progress from there.

It gets easier once you get used to the mindset. I still really enjoy shopping for clothes and reading about new fashion/beauty trends, I suppose I'm just a bit more strict about what I buy in to. Before I couldn't go into Penney's without picking up a few sheet masks, but then I saw Kirstie McDermott opening one on Insta stories and counting the pieces of plastic in one mask - seems obvious now but I was a little shocked! It had never even occurred to me.

I will keep my eyes peeled in the shops for those ranges, thank you for the recommendations.

One thing I've really wanted is the Chanel Baume Essentiel. I resisted on my last trip through the airport so might buy it next week when I'm there, a wee treat :)

Oh stop, I've also put myself on a sheet mask ban.

I've probably only ever used a handful in my life but I was beginning to get a taste for them. I then saw the environmental stuff about wetwipes and how theyre clogging up the oceans and while I'm not a wipes person at all, that sheet masks are the same thing, just individually packaged, so even worse.

Now that you've got a new perspective on things, you'll probably enjoy that one product you've really considered buying far more than the instant gratification of just buying whatever cough your fancy in the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Any efforts we all make and for any reasons (environmental, money, just trying to use up stuff, Marie Kondo-ing your life, or just a good old-fashioned challenge), whether it's just thinking twice about buying something, is all good. I'm so pleased with how this thread has gone, everyone seems to have gained something from it, maybe even a few extra euro in their pocket!
    My reasons for doing the challenge were not as noble as yours Twee and SozBbz.
    I realised that I just had so much stuff. I would see a new release, a product mentioned by a few bloggers and I'd want it too. I'd pick up a few bits in Penneys and sure it's grand, they are only a few euro each, but they would add up in my basket and then I'd only use them a couple of times. I'm lucky I've a disposable income and my husband never passes any heed on my spending so I felt like I could just buy what I wanted when I wanted. Something would be on special offer and I'd get suckered in, even if I didn't need it or would only use some of the products in the set but like it was a good deal. I also had all the units in our ensuite filled with my products, my husband has his stuff in a box under the bed. I'm the only female in the house and I had as much makeup as a practising MUA. Enough shampoos, conditioners and shower gels to last me a year. It was just ridiculous!!

There's a sweet satisfaction in finishing a product! I'm like a mini blogger in my head gathering my thoughts on a product, would I buy it again etc. Most of the products I've used up - no, they were fine would I wouldn't repurchase most of them again.

I've also been saving a bit of money. I'm going to America in the summer and planning a guilt free blow out in Sephora, I've been making a list so I won't completely loose the run of myself until I get to the minis!

SozBbz wrote: »
    Oh stop, I've also put myself on a sheet mask ban.
    I've stopped buying them also, I bought loads of them the last time I was in Sephora and I used to be a divil for picking up a few every time I went into Penneys.
    Now I didn't stop to be environmentally friendly - I stopped because I didn't find them that effective. And there was so much packaging involved in them, took up so much space in my bin for something that lasts 20 minutes and doesn't do much!

Ah to be fair, I'm not 100% noble, but it does tie in with my thoughts on trying to use less.

I also thought (like yourself) that I only have one face, one head of hair etc, so how much product can I possibly use?

I'm also half thinking of moving this year so having less stuff would massively help that process. At minimum, I need to draw a line and stop accumulating stuff because I won't want to move it! I'm trying to donate to charity shops as much as I can too and just aim to own less things.

Its actually enlightening to see actually how slow it is to use up what I have. I'm not too worried on skincare as I mostly buy Image and I use it (bar a brief dalliance with the Ordinary when it launched where I got carried away and bought a load of stuff I probably don't need because of the hype and the prices)

My issue was make up. I travel semi regularly with work, usually alone and I used to entertain myself by picking something up in the dutyfree, which is why I now have more palettes than I need! I've not bought any in about 6 months and I can't even notice any difference. I still have too much!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I've stopped buying them also, I bought loads of them the last time I was in Sephora and I used to be a divil for picking up a few every time I went into Penneys.
    Now I didn't stop to be environmentally friendly - I stopped because I didn't find them that effective. And there was so much packaging involved in them, took up so much space in my bin for something that lasts 20 minutes and doesn't do much!

The cheap ones just don't do anything, which makes it even worse! All that for nada. I find it fascinating how they have become a global trend in a very short space of time, considering everything else we're seeing in the media is about reducing waste.

You'll have a ball when you do your Sephora spree, and then the excitement to use everything as it's stuff you really wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Recliner

Now that you've got a new perspective on things, you'll probably enjoy that one product you've really considered buying far more than the instant gratification of just buying whatever cough your fancy in the moment.

This is so true. Excellent point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭tea_and_cake

I love this thread. Fair play to all for the reduction :D

Your comment on doing what you can is 100% Twee. I'll never go vegan but I use reuseable cotton pads and nail varnish pads and other bits like that. Reducing stuff is a key thing.

I've bought very little since Jan bar what I needed (ie replacing empty items). I had to buy foundation, setting spray and I bought an urban decay pallette to get a gold eyeshadow (didn't git what I wanted but the pallette is nice). I was brutal buying duplicates and thinking sure it's cheap. It's so so easy to get suckered in buying the new thing and you'll probably only use what you have! I was also bad for having "good make up" for going out at weekends etc. Sure it would be gone off when I'd use it again.

I'm moving house soon so the less I have to move the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I'm moving house soon so the less I have to move the better.

This! I also think what if god forbid I was knocked down in the morning and someone had to clean out my cupboards - they would think I was crazy!

I try and rotate my makeup from the stash every couple of months so that I kinda feel like I'm mixing things up a bit instead of needing something new.

Would love to get on top of shampoo bars now next and reduce the plastic waste from daily showering.

ams wrote: »
    This! I also think what if god forbid I was knocked down in the morning and someone had to clean out my cupboards - they would think I was crazy!

Stop, I'd be considered a loon of people saw the extent of the stuff. I really need to Marie Kondo my life!

I'm working my way though my Charlotte Tilbury magic foundation (grand, but won't buy it again) and the matching under eye concealer which I do not care for, but refuse to waste it as it was expensive.

The last time I moved, I swore to myself that I'd never again accumulate so much stuff.... but I've now probably got more.

I've been good on skincare/makeup since Christmas (having bought a bomb on black Friday) but my wardrobes are out of control. We're also thinking of moving this year and the thoughts of packing is giving me the horrors.

I really need to get ahead of things and start to declutter whilst not simultaneously replacing said clutter! Make up etc sounds like not a big thing but when you've drawers full, its an issue!

I try and rotate my makeup from the stash every couple of months so that I kinda feel like I'm mixing things up a bit instead of needing something new.

Would love to get on top of shampoo bars now next and reduce the plastic waste from daily showering.
    I'd definitely be classed as an obsessive shopper, :o

I got a soap bar (Foamie from boots) but it takes a good bit of work. I've a lot of hair and to get decent coverage it take a lot of work (a lot being 5min rubbing so very first world :rolleyes:) . I think my hair was nice and shiny after it so really should use it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I'm exactly the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I finally have an empty. Finished off the Clinique moisture surge serum. I wouldn’t buy again, while it was grand I didn’t love. For reference my skin is the dry dehydrated type that looks best in the summer as it’s slathered in sunscreen that has a large oil content. While I really like the moisture surge moisturiser the serum didn’t feel half as nice. Moving on I’m going to use up an Aldi serum I have and see how that goes.

Oh god that's so true. They would probably think there were a few girls living in my house (and I'm the only girl in my house!)

I finally have an empty. Finished off the Clinique moisture surge serum. I wouldn’t buy again, while it was grand I didn’t love. For reference my skin is the dry dehydrated type that looks best in the summer as it’s slathered in sunscreen that has a large oil content. While I really like the moisture surge moisturiser the serum didn’t feel half as nice. Moving on I’m going to use up an Aldi serum I have and see how that goes.

Congratulations! Its so satisfying isnt it.

I'm still plugging away. I'm trying to use up some of my products from The Ordinary as they're nearly out and would allow me to declutter a bit, even though they're not my favorites.

Had a little flourish of finishing things on the skincare side - 3 empties this week!
    Image spf 32 matte
    Image Iluma serum
    The ordinary Niacidimide

Ive loads of stuff in reserve as I hoarded Image on Black Friday but it’s good to move through the stash. And I’m still holding firm in terms of not really buying anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Just floating the idea, would anyone be up for swaps to get rid of unused/ unloved make up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Just floating the idea, would anyone be up for swaps to get rid of unused/ unloved make up?

Absolutely!

I’m seriously paring down my make up and I ha e lots of barely used make up!

Yes. I've just moved house and hate binning stuff.

Great idea!

Just have my mod hat on for a moment, but just to clear any sort of arrangements should be made privately to ensure everyone's privacy. I'll scope out what the guidelines are for posting about swaps, it is against the site rule to sell on Boards but I'm sure other forums have run swaps for stuff. If you wanted to even arrange a meet-up that's possible too, again done privately and final details shared with T&Cs. We held one for the Fashion forum yearrrrrs ago, and it was actually brilliant craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Great idea!

Just have my mod hat on for a moment, but just to clear any sort of arrangements should be made privately to ensure everyone's privacy. I'll scope out what the guidelines are for posting about swaps, it is against the site rule to sell on Boards but I'm sure other forums have run swaps for stuff. If you wanted to even arrange a meet-up that's possible too, again done privately and final details shared with T&Cs. We held one for the Fashion forum yearrrrrs ago, and it was actually brilliant craic.

I'm in!! :D

I've stuff that I'm more than happy to let go. Person getting item covers P&P? Is that allowed under the rules?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I've stuff that I'm more than happy to let go. Person getting item covers P&P? Is that allowed under the rules?

If it is a swap won’t there be P&P for both?

If it is a swap won’t there be P&P for both?

Oh true I suppose, but TBH I've got stuff that I'd be happy to send even if I didnt get anything in return, so P&P would be fine in that circumstance?

I hate binning perfectly good items, I just know I have stuff that I won't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Oh true I suppose, but TBH I've got stuff that I'd be happy to send even if I didnt get anything in return, so P&P would be fine in that circumstance?

I hate binning perfectly good items, I just know I have stuff that I won't use.

I'm the same, I don't need anything else but have stuff that's not getting used

Gah just broke my 4 month no beauty buying record with this.

I’ll caveat that in saying that I’ve still been buying shampoos etc but I don’t hoard them, so those are just necessary.

https://www.asos.com/beauty-extras/asos-summer-skin-box-over-70-saving/prd/10656973

I just love mini products, they’re so handy when away from home. And I’ve never tried Emma Hardie products so I’m excited for that. And I’ve had that product from the ordinary before and like it.

• Advertisement

The Origins product is lovely too, I had a sample a while ago and really liked it.

I mentioned in the Purchases thread, but I did finally break and buy some stuff, happy that all of it will be put to good use though!

Advertisement