Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Providing proof of Leaving Cert and University

Options
  • 07-01-2019 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,

I’m currently applying for jobs and listed on a lot of applications is that the employer wants proof of your educational achievements, Leaving Cert and University degrees.

I’m just wondering what is the best way to do this? Would sending through a copy of my leaving cert results and a copy of my diploma suffice?

Also from friends I’ve never heard this as common practice for employers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

jamesf85 wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m currently applying for jobs and listed on a lot of applications is that the employer wants proof of your educational achievements, Leaving Cert and University degrees.

I’m just wondering what is the best way to do this? Would send through a copy of my leaving cert results and a copy of my diploma suffice?

Also from friends I’ve never heard this as common practice for employers?

I've never heard of an employer looking for LC confirmation if University degree is available. However, it is good practice to confirm someone is qualified in something they claim to be.

Is this a large Multi-National?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭jamesf85

I've never heard of an employer looking for LC confirmation if University degree is available. However, it is good practice to confirm someone is qualified in something they claim to be.

Is this a large Multi-National?

Yes it’s a large multi national. I completely understand why they would want to confirm my credentials. I just thought they ran these checks themselves by contacting the university directly.

Yes it’s a large multi national. I completely understand why they would want to confirm my credentials. I just thought they ran these checks themselves by contacting the university directly.

A university would never give them out directly, especially now under GDPR.

I imagine you're quite young and they cannot rely on many references from former employers so they'll validate you based on the information you've given them i.e. your education achievements.

A university would never give them out directly, especially now under GDPR.

I imagine you're quite young and they cannot rely on many references from former employers so they'll validate you based on the information you've given them i.e. your education achievements.

Thank you for the responses.

I wasn’t aware that the university weren’t allowed to give them out. How do employers confirm applicants educations so?

It says on my application I need to prove my educational history and credentials. How do I do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Thank you for the responses.

I wasn’t aware that the university weren’t allowed to give them out. How do employers confirm applicants educations so?

It says on my application I need to prove my educational history and credentials. How do I do this?
    You answered your own question in the OP, leaving cert results and uni diploma.

• Advertisement

You answered your own question in the OP, leaving cert results and uni diploma.

So do they need a physical copy or how is this done? I’ve never needed to supply this before.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've done it recently. You ask your university for your transcripts. There may be a fee. They'll post it out to you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Some accept your scroll- ask the employer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depending on how long you are out of school, your school may still have your LC results on file, if you do not have the provisional results sheet yourself.

Oh noes, GDPR etc!
    Real world - ring the school - they may well have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I've had to do this for a few jobs, two post grad courses, and also for visas in two countries.

I just e-mailed them a scan of my qualifications. It worked fine...

These are usually tick the box situations for the admin in charge of your application.

• Advertisement

I’ve got the job and started today. They had set educational requirements but still haven’t looked for any proof even though they said they would need it.

I’m not sure if I should bother requesting from my old university and school or not. Is it normal for employers not to follow up?

Congrats, I wouldn't bother sourcing unless they ask again. A startling number of hiring managers don't look for proof of qualifications.

Congrats, I wouldn't bother sourcing unless they ask again. A startling number of hiring managers don't look for proof of qualifications.

It's not a job where you'd legally need to be qualified. Just that an undergrad degree was required.

I just assumed they'd have looked for proof at my screening interview. There ended up being 4 interviews for the job in total, would be a bit odd if they looked for it now after I'm in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You've got the job. Congrats. I think you can forget about this issue and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

In my case, after I got the job they still requested the educational proof.

Sarn wrote: »
    In my case, after I got the job they still requested the educational proof.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Really?

Yep, got a call from HR to drop it in when I got a chance. I’d wait until they request it. No point going through any hassle until it’s required.

Advertisement