Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juice Boost

Options
  • 07-01-2019 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭

Saw this in a local shop. Its a lot of Caffeine, don't know anything about the other highlighted substances.

Anybody ever used it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Saw this in a local shop. Its a lot of Caffeine, don't know anything about the other highlighted substances.

Anybody ever used it ?

That's like a bomb going off inside you! Should give a kick and not something you would like to see kids drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

upside-down-cyclist.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

You'd want to have your head examined putting that inside you. Probably want your body examined afterwards too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Miklos wrote: »
    You'd want to have your head examined putting that inside you. Probably want your body examined afterwards too.

Wouldn't be for me, but is it not just a triple espresso caffeine dose with some amino acids?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thought there were some restrictions on caffeine amounts but perhaps not.

What caught my attention is that you could pop it in your back pocket during a race or event, not everyone is a gel person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Years ago, I was manager of the Irish MTB DH team at the European Championships in the Czech Republic. At the time, there was a limit on the amount of caffeine, you could have in your system. The official energy drink at the event was a Czech caffeine drink like Red Bull or Monster. I figured out, that if an athlete drank 2 1/2 cans of this stuff, it could put him over the limit for caffeine.
    Ironically, the name of the drink was Semptex. It was dynamite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Back when I did triathlons (over 10 years ago) tried a powder called viper extreme which you add to the water. First time using it was something else, quite a hit and buzz which made the pain easier to take. Subsequent times the effect was considerably less and that combined with the fact that I found it hard to sleep the night after meant I stopped using it.

Now I don't even use gels. Race food for me now is usually water (may pop in a mineral tablet) and jelly babies (or large soft jellies). And when I do the occasional sportive will eat whatever is going.

I do sometimes wonder is it worth experimenting with caffeine again. Difference between now and 10 years ago is that I've become fond of my Cappuchinos and coffee capsules and would probably need an awful lot more to get a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

How much caffeine do you need to get a hit? I don't feel like I get any sort of buzz from an espresso or standard coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I do sometimes wonder is it worth experimenting with caffeine again. Difference between now and 10 years ago is that I've become fond of my Cappuchinos and coffee capsules and would probably need an awful lot more to get a hit.

The effects of caffeine vary from person to person.

You could try experimenting with not having any coffee during the week in the lead up to a race and then having a coffee or espresso on the morning of the race. In that way a smaller dose of caffeine might have an effect.

But 250 mg in a drink... sweet jesus no

Hurrache wrote: »
    How much caffeine do you need to get a hit? I don't feel like I get any sort of buzz from an espresso or standard coffee.

The effects of caffeine vary from person to person. A person who has a regular caffeine intake builds up a tolerance, so a higher dose is needed to elicit a boost in energy. Also your genetic make-up influences how quickly your body processes caffeine in the liver.

If someone doesn't drink tea/coffee/energy drinks etc. then a cup of coffee or a can of coca-cola will have an effect. If they had "Juice Boost" then they mightn't sleep for a day or so :pac:

If someone drinks a good few coffees/espressos every day, then they are going to need a good bit of caffeine... eg. a bottle of "Juice Boost". But as I suggested in my previous post, a better way would be to decrease daily caffeine consumption and take the caffeine when need for a race in order to get the best performance enhancing benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,230 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

My tolerance has probably come from being a big tea drinker since I was a kid, there was a long time when I wouldn't go to bed without taking a cup with me. In fact the only reason I don't do so now is that all advice says don't. Didn't become a coffee drinker until much later in life, and would only say have a latte a couple of times a week maybe, some weeks none.

I don't drink coffee/tea but most days I would have a can of Coke Zero or Diet Coke, which contains about 30-50 mg of caffeine. It doesn't give me much of a buzz or keep me awake at night.

If I'm participating in an event and going balls out then I might take a caffeine tablet (100 mg) at the start followed by another one a few hours later (if the event takes that long). That dosage of caffeine definitely gives me a hit and reduces time to fatigue.

The gene CYP1A2 can influence how quickly the body processes caffeine. This gene is involved in breaking down caffeine in the liver and variants may influence sensitivity to caffeine’s effects by speeding up or slowing down the rate of its metabolism. I've had my DNA tested and the results suggest that for the variant of CYP1A2 that I have, I may not feel caffeine’s effects as strongly as others, due to increased enzyme activity and quicker caffeine breakdown.

Advertisement