Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for a fluorescent strip light

Options
  • 07-01-2019 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

So my fluorescent strip light in my cabin died the other day and I need to replace the entire thing.
    I was thinking some sort of LED lightstrip but had some questions...

First off, there is only one light in the cabin and it's cable runs straight back to the board so there is nothing else to consider.
    EDIT: Cabin is 4m x 3m and the light will sit directly in the middle.

Is it easy to connect these up to the live, neutral & ground that is running to the current fluorescent strip? Some of them have regular three pin plugs. Could I just install a regular socket if I needed to?

Will they be bright enough to replace a fluorescent tube bulb? It needs to be bright.

(And finally the tie in to Home Automation :))
    Are there any smart alternatives that don't require a smart hub? I don't have one yet.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have a room lit florescent blub atm and I tested what it would be like with one philips light strip and it wasn't going to work. There are brighter higher density strips then the philips one which might work, def needs a diffuser in front of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can get LED tubes that replace Floursent tubes. I’ve seen them used and they give off good light

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Rew wrote: »
    I have a room lit florescent blub atm and I tested what it would be like with one philips light strip and it wasn't going to work. There are brighter higher density strips then the philips one which might work, def needs a diffuser in front of it too.

I was thinking they weren't going to be bright enough based on a couple of vids online but thought maybe that was just the brightness not transferring to video well. Good to have first hand feedback. Thanks.
    ted1 wrote: »
    You can get LED tubes that replace Floursent tubes. I’ve seen them used and they give off good light

I would have done this if it was just the bulbs but it's actually the entire unit (there are no fuses to replace, just some sort of transformer hidden in the back of it). I'm not adverse to getting another one but I'm open to better alternatives if any exist. Maybe even just a big sun lamp and swap out the switch for a smart switch...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Looks like just what I'm after. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭scano.ie

I have these in the shed and attic and provide great light and the company are grand to deal with and Irish to add.

https://www.futureled.ie/led-tubes-and-fittings/597--led-dustproof-lighting-fitting.html

Advertisement