Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly parents & Nursing homes that take couples

Options
  • 07-01-2019 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Are there any nursing homes in Dublin that cater for elderly couples? I would hate to separate my parents at the end of their lives. They both have dementia, but do still know each other.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Marymount in Lucan take couples but the waiting list can be long .Worth ringing them as they are putting on a large extension at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Schoolteacher

thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know what stage they are at, but would sheltered living be suitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

if not already done contact your local public health nurse. they assess need and can provide access to home care services etc as a first resort, if available.
    do not discount outside Dublin Nursing homes. a lot do provide couple accomodation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Payton

Our father is in one of the TLC centres and I know there are 2 couples living there. It could depend if they are going through the fair deal sheme and when a double room becomes available.
    Best would be to look them up and ask to speak to the nursing director and they might be able to give you more details.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    I don't know what stage they are at, but would sheltered living be suitable?

Sheltered living would not be suitable, they need quite alot of care.

Giveaway wrote: »
    if not already done contact your local public health nurse. they assess need and can provide access to home care services etc as a first resort, if available.
    do not discount outside Dublin Nursing homes. a lot do provide couple accomodation

Thanks, I was hoping to find an online list of homes that have facilities for couples. Guess I will just have to ring them individually.

Payton wrote: »
    Our father is in one of the TLC centres and I know there are 2 couples living there. It could depend if they are going through the fair deal sheme and when a double room becomes available.
    Best would be to look them up and ask to speak to the nursing director and they might be able to give you more details.

TLC centre? Must look that up. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Care Choice off the Malahide Road also take couples
    https://www.carechoice.ie/our-locations/malahide/contact/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

There's a new place opening on the Tonlegee road behind the odeon cinema on the old smurfit site for nursing home and assisted living. Looks quite big and some buildings look like apartments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Payton

neris wrote: »
    There's a new place opening on the Tonlegee road behind the odeon cinema on the old smurfit site for nursing home and assisted living. Looks quite big and some buildings look like apartments
    I think that is the new TLC building

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a directory of nursing homes here: http://www.nhi.ie/directory.php

The reports here: https://www.hiqa.ie/reports-and-publications/inspection-reports may list ones that aren't members of the NHI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The 2 nursing homes in Howth can cater for this: Brymore and Howth Hill Lodge.

As an aside.

The first double bed in an Irish nursing home was put in by a tip-top nurse friend of mine about 25 years ago, for a couple one of whom had physical issues and the other cognitive. The consultant was pleasantly surprised but pretty much always would take my friend's advice as she had done some training him in his early days. The inspector didn't know what to think until friend gave the 'they have been together in the same bed for 50 years and there is no good reason for that to change' spiel and reason prevailed. The Do Not Disturb sign was put to good use. Sadly, some jurisdictions just haven't caught onto modern times yet.

Advertisement