Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maching an 11 speed cassette for 10 speed hub fitting

Options
  • 07-01-2019 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know of anybody that can alter an 11 speed cassette to fit onto a 10 speed wheel. Bought a 10 speed Zipp 900 and looking to get a cassette modified. I have sourced a guy in the UK but wondering if there is a local option available to me before sending it too him

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Yes you can. Just take out a single sprocket and a spacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

An 11 speed cassette is 1.8mm wider than a 10 speed cassette. So if you can get 1.8mm machined off your free hub, that will solve your problem. It may reduce the strength of your free hub. You may also be able to machine 1.8mm from the back of your cassette.

Here's a youtube clip all about it, it's quite long, but worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ar2zQDvAAc

I have an 11 speed Prime carbon wheel, that I bought from CRC. I'm pretty sure that the free hub on it was machined from a 10 speed. I have had no problem with it.

Miche also make an 11 speed cassette that will fit a 10 speed free hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

You can use a current model ultegra R8000 11/34 11 speed cassette. This will work on a shimano 10 speed freehub with no modification needed. You may need a longer rear derailleur though.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    An 11 speed cassette is 1.8mm wider than a 10 speed cassette. So if you can get 1.8mm machined off your free hub, that will solve your problem. It may reduce the strength of your free hub.

I don’t follow - the freehub is too narrow to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

you can get custom cassette, www.sigmasports.com/brand/edco

• Advertisement

letape wrote: »
    I don’t follow - the freehub is too narrow to start with

The freehub is too narrow, so machining(?) 1.8mm off the back of the freehub body will allow the 11 speed cassette to fit.

an 11 speed cassette is 1.8mm wider than a 10 speed cassette.
    So, you need to get 1.8mm more space on the 10 speed freehub, therefore machine 1.8mm from the back of the freehub, allowing the 11 speed cassette to fit.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The freehub is too narrow, so machining(?) 1.8mm off the back of the freehub body will allow the 11 speed cassette to fit.

an 11 speed cassette is 1.8mm wider than a 10 speed cassette.
    So, you need to get 1.8mm more space on the 10 speed freehub, therefore machine 1.8mm from the back of the freehub, allowing the 11 speed cassette to fit.

Sorry - was initially unclear what you meant by the back of the freehub, but I understand what you mean.

You need to effectively increase the surface area of the freehub (like not including the spacer that may come with an 11 speed freehub). Only problem can be that the inner sprocket may end up being too close to the spokes, depending on the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Cheers for all the responses guys, anybody know of anybody in ireland who does the maching, looking at an ultegra, cant stretch to the edco one unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You can use a current model ultegra R8000 11/34 11 speed cassette. This will work on a shimano 10 speed freehub with no modification needed. You may need a longer rear derailleur though.

Really? I assumed that R8000 cassettes and 6800 were the same as I know that a 6800 cassette I have wouldn't fit on a 10spd campy (shimano) freehub.

Really? I assumed that R8000 cassettes and 6800 were the same as I know that a 6800 cassette I have wouldn't fit on a 10spd campy (shimano) freehub.

Yes, see below:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/03/shimano-ultegra-hg-800-11-34t-cassette-review/

I think it’s because the 34t is bigger, that the chain doesn’t run close to the spokes.

• Advertisement

wellboss wrote: »
    Cheers for all the responses guys, anybody know of anybody in ireland who does the maching, looking at an ultegra, cant stretch to the edco one unfortunately

Another option is to fit a Campag freehub to it and a Campag 11 speed cassette, which works with shimano / sram drivetrains

Another option is to fit a Campag freehub to it and a Campag 11 speed cassette, which works with shimano / sram drivetrains

Yes, or an 11 speed Shimano freehub, if one can be got for the hub in question.

Sorry - was initially unclear what you meant by the back of the freehub, but I understand what you mean.

You need to effectively increase the surface area of the freehub (like not including the spacer that may come with an 11 speed freehub). Only problem can be that the inner sprocket may end up being too close to the spokes, depending on the wheel.

I probably didn't explain it properly.
    As I said, I'm pretty sure, that I have a machined 10 speed freehub on one of my wheels. I have used 11-28 and 11-32 cassettes on the wheel, without any problems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

One of the new 105 cassettes will also fit on a 10 speed hub and is a good deal cheaper than the Ultegra one

Advertisement