Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensee?

Options
  • 07-01-2019 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi all just a quick question,

If someone were to rent a room in an owner occupied house then they would be a licensee as opposed to a tenant and as such would not have a minimum notice period to give when vacating and they could not have a minimum length of stay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hi all just a quick question,

If someone were to rent a room in an owner occupied house then they would be a licensee as opposed to a tenant and as such would not have a minimum notice period to give when vacating and they could not have a minimum length of stay?
    If no lease is signed. Some owners give leases which give additional rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Caranica wrote: »
    If no lease is signed. Some owners give leases which give additional rights.

Ok so the owners CAN give a lease if they wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's really not advisable! I looked into it when I first took in a lodger and was told no, no, no, don't do it. I didn't but made a verbal agreement with lodger for 1 month notice (after the first month, 1 week notice in first month) unless extenuating circumstances. Then it's a matter of choosing well and no problem. Also agreed rules re overnight guests etc but nothing in writing. So far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They can do what they want, call it a contract or whatever, probably wise for some conditions as it can remove unknowns like who's paying for Sky or whatever. Doesn't have to mention a minimum term.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

I’m asking as I want to rent somewhere but don’t want to be constrained to a lease of a certain period. So if an owner occupier asked me to sign a lease with a minimum tenanacy would it be legally binding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I’m asking as I want to rent somewhere but don’t want to be constrained to a lease of a certain period. So if an owner occupier asked me to sign a lease with a minimum tenanacy would it be legally binding?

Owners rarely, if ever, put a minimum term in contract. As long as you pay rent and your share of bills you will be fine.

Bear in mind renting is not a hotel, though.

Advertisement