Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix BOI fraud issues.

• 07-01-2019 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

I have paid for Netflix from my BOI account for over a year with no issue. For the last 3 months I have received an email from the fraud department asking if I recognise the payment.

This delay in payment causes a few days of not being able to access Netflix (first world problem).

I contacted BOI about this, and have been informed that due to a large number of fraud issues around Netflix their system flags all payments.

These seems a bit of a cop out to me, given the number of Netflix users, has anyone else who uses BOI and Netflix encountered this issue?

The bank advised that the way around this is to pay through PayPal, as there are no plans to alter the system at this time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It sounds completely bizarre that they send you an e-mail to to confirm each payment when they can easily see on your account that you have been paying them for several months past.
    The bank advised that the way around this is to pay through PayPal, as there are no plans to alter the system at this time.

I have a BoI credit card and use that to pay my Netflix monthly charge, never had any issue. Sounds like they don't know what they're at.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I got a text the other day about a monthly payment to iTunes through AIB. It has been going through for a year to two, but I would say because it was being taken at 5am might have been the flag. All for 99c......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I get the same with BoI and Netflix, have to confirm weekly that it's legit. I thought paying in Turkish lira would have been my problem, 99 a week. Are you paying the irish price in euro ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

whiterebel wrote: »
    I got a text the other day about a monthly payment to iTunes through AIB. It has been going through for a year to two, but I would say because it was being taken at 5am might have been the flag. All for 99c......

Watch this one closely.

One night when I was on night shift, I got 11 transactions taken by iTunes totalling £500.

I have never owned an Apple product or had an iTunes account, but there was a couple of transactions for pence first, then about 9 for big money.

All in the middle of the night too.

BoI investigated and refunded the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watch this one closely.

One night when I was on night shift, I got 11 transactions taken by iTunes totalling £500.

I have never owned an Apple product or had an iTunes account, but there was a couple of transactions for pence first, then about 9 for big money.

All in the middle of the night too.

BoI investigated and refunded the money.

Interesting. They must have used your credit card to create an iTunes account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,786 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting. They must have used your credit card to create an iTunes account.

Even worse, it was my card linked to my current account. They could have cleaned me out.

After it I created a second account online to move most of my money into, and left a small amount in the current account for bills, daily use etc. Then moved money into it as I needed it.

Now any online purchasing is done with my credit card, as they offer better protection against fraud, and my cc has a max limit of £1000 anyway, so any fraud will be limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I had this with Beatport a while back, its a music store, along the realms of iTunes but you can buy .wav and .mp3s as-is. Various payments for €1.99 at weird times... thats how the bank saw it anyway, but it was just me buying one track.

Several times permanent tsb blocked my card and told me that it had been compromised. Eventually I rang them up, told them I appreciated the effort they were going to and all that, but to never block anything coming from that website. They listened. No problems since.

Advertisement