Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Ireland's Cleanest City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

That's a laughable award tbf. I wouldn't call the city clean, some parts are a disgrace. Just means its 'cleaner' than other cities which is not saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭914

That's a laughable award tbf. I wouldn't call the city clean, some parts are a disgrace. Just means its 'cleaner' than other cities which is not saying much.

Cleaner than european norms I'll take that, far better than been classed as moderately litted or a black spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

It isnt at all laughable really. Like tell that to the people out sweeping the streets, picking up the rubbish after those nights outs etc. There is plenty of people out making the city look clean and presentable and to be fair they can't get everywhere just like any city/town/village.

alta stare wrote: »
    It isnt at all laughable really. Like tell that to the people out sweeping the streets, picking up the rubbish after those nights outs etc. There is plenty of people out making the city look clean and presentable and to be fair they can't get everywhere just like any city/town/village.

They get well paid for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

alta stare wrote: »

Not enough in my opinion

• Advertisement

And your point is what??? They still have to do it and believe it or not some of them may actually take pride in it so therefore they would be happy with being recognised. Can we not just say well done to the council on this one as they have in the main kept our city clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If you want to volunteer to clean up masses of rubbish and pools of vomit for free, they may be glad of the help.

JohnC. wrote: »
    If you want to volunteer to clean up masses of rubbish and pools of vomit for free, they may be glad of the help.

Would you? Im sure you can give them a hand, cleaning the rest of the city, not just the viking triangle area so it looks good for tourists.

Would you? Im sure you can give them a hand, cleaning the rest of the city, not just the viking triangle area so it looks good for tourists.

Im in around the town quite a bit with work and i can safely say it is not as dirty as you seem to be making it out. Im not saying there isnt parts of it which may not be up to standard but to be fair that would be universal across all cities around the world. We dont exactly live in a slum do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

If you travelled outside of Ireland, to any European city, you'd realise how clean Waterford city is, in comparison to the U.S. it's spotless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DubToDeise

I live in Johnstown.

The difference between 4am on Sunday morning and 9am on Sunday morning is shocking. It's one thing I couldn't fault the council on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

If you travelled outside of Ireland, to any European city, you'd realise how clean Waterford city is, in comparison to the U.S. it's spotless.

Moved to Manchester this time last year, but lived in Waterford my whole life, I can't get over how dirty it is here. The way people rubbish is mindblowing to me, people openly throw cans of coke onto the ground, I've even found a mattress dumped on my street one day. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Dog **** everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Dog **** everywhere

I've raised this before, but I can't believe how few bins there are on busy walking routes to dispose of such waste. You could walk several kilometres without meeting one, e.g. there are none between Earlscourt on the Dunmore Road and De La Salle as you're nearly at the park.

People will chime in to say, "well why can't you carry it around with you", or sure people will just stick domestic waste in them", but I think it would be trying to trust people to use them? I'm sure there are studies to show a correlation between more bins and less litter.

We shouldn't lose sight of the fact that Waterford has received this accolade a number of times now, which is great.

Advertisement