Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and schools

Options
  • 07-01-2019 7:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭

We have a staff meeting next month on this crap just wondering what other schools are doing/changing.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have ye not your policy drawn up already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Have ye not your policy drawn up already?

Nope, chatting to friends from other schools , most don't have gdpr specific one, only old data protection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Nope, chatting to friends from other schools , most don't have gdpr specific one, only old data protection

Was it not discussed at the start of the year? Careful with student data, no bringing home work or being very careful about it, logging out of vsware, using initials instead of names, disposal of year planner etc.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I’m primary , our policy was done before the summer holidays , as were any schools’ I know .
    Are you secondary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Might be useful - https://gdpr4schools.ie

• Advertisement

Was it not discussed at the start of the year? Careful with student data, no bringing home work or being very careful about it, logging out of vsware, using initials instead of names, disposal of year planner etc.

Don't bring home work??

Don't bring home work??

Yes it was mentioned but probably not enforced. You have student information with you and should not be removed from school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Homework is not covered under data protection. Financial, health etc are.

If you have a previous data protection policy that is fairly comprehensive the changes should be small enough.

Yes it was mentioned but probably not enforced. You have student information with you and should not be removed from school.

So the law says no, but ignore the law. Lol. I assume if in your policy and you don't adhere you get the blame not the boss?

dar100 wrote: »

If you have a previous data protection policy that is fairly comprehensive the changes should be small enough.

If a homework copy has a name of student and formative assessment comments about their work is that not personal data? Is it not similar to a medical file with a patients name and doctors notes on that patients fitness?

• Advertisement

So the law says no, but ignore the law. Lol. I assume if in your policy and you don't adhere you get the blame not the boss?

Well I can't see the boss checking bags on the way out 😀 Personally it doesn't bother me as I stay behind maybe once a week to do some correcting.

If a homework copy has a name of student and formative assessment comments about their work is that not personal data? Is it not similar to a medical file with a patients name and doctors notes on that patients fitness?

Yes and as a language teacher, you have paragraphs about family, friends, pastimes, future plans etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

dar100 wrote: »

If the person is identifiable by it then it's personal data.
    I assume the student's name is on it.

Well I can't see the boss checking bags on the way out 😀 Personally it doesn't bother me as I stay behind maybe once a week to do some correcting.

Why should boss care, if its in policy and you lose a copy or an Xmas test its your fault not his. Jesus wept, I'm bricking it at thoughts of this meeting. This is that reporter thing in bullying all over again.

Most students put their names on their homework copies.

Yes and as a language teacher, you have paragraphs about family, friends, pastimes, future plans etc.

So is it a case of "you can't bring them home, but sure if you do just don't lose any"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Would the school be designated as the data controller though if the data is written by students? Surely they own the data.

368100 wrote: »
    Would the school be designated as the data controller though if the data is written by students? Surely they own the data.

But they give the copy to teacher to correct, under the assumption teacher doesn't lose it or let their 10 yr old post pictures of "daddy's stupid first years homework" on Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Judeboy101 seems to have a terrible attitude. Not teacher bashing. Have the height of respect for the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

But say a copy is lost and it has "John Murphy" on the front. Who is John Murphy? Could he anyone. They wouldn't be identifiable by it.

I'm just confused that everyone and every place is jumping on the GDPR bandwagon.

What part of GDPR covers bringing home students homework to correct that the old Data Protection Act didn't cover?

It was my belief GDPR was brought in to strengthen rights, already present in the Data Protection Act, and clarify new ones with regard to selling people's email addresses, contact details, DOB etc, primarily for marketing purposes and financial gain.

• Advertisement

Get Real wrote: »
    But say a copy is lost and it has "John Murphy" on the front. Who is John Murphy? Could he anyone. They wouldn't be identifiable by it.

I'm just confused that everyone and every place is jumping on the GDPR bandwagon.

What part of GDPR covers bringing home students homework to correct that the old Data Protection Act didn't cover?

It was my belief GDPR was brought in to strengthen rights, already present in the Data Protection Act, and clarify new ones with regard to selling people's email addresses, contact details, DOB etc, primarily for marketing purposes and financial gain.

It aslo may have a reference to the school.

It was deemed recently that an exam script was personal data as the person could be identified by a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Does GDPR not start at 13 yrs??? Not applicable below that???

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

It aslo may have a reference to the school.

It was deemed recently that an exam script was personal data as the person could be identified by a number.

Fair enough, I do get yhat, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering with all this GDPR stuff across the board. The Data Protection Act was in place for years.

What part of GDPR suddenly applies to teachers bringing students homework home that the Data Protection Act didn't already cover.

Either it's a) organisations scrambling to do something they should have always been doing (better late than never though I suppose)

Or b) companies and people pushing GDPR training and obviously they've their own vested interests in that by making money off it.

I guess it's just a question in my own head, I'm just sometimes confused by the impact on things such as a teacher in possession of a students homework. Why is it suddenly now important, but it wasn't two years ago. It's box ticking and ass covering, but nobody can say what has changed.

Get Real wrote: »
    Fair enough, I do get yhat, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering with all this GDPR stuff across the board. The Data Protection Act was in place for years.

What part of GDPR suddenly applies to teachers bringing students homework home that the Data Protection Act didn't already cover.

Either it's a) organisations scrambling to do something they should have always been doing (better late than never though I suppose)

Or b) companies and people pushing GDPR training and obviously they've their own vested interests in that by making money off it.

I guess it's just a question in my own head, I'm just sometimes confused by the impact on things such as a teacher in possession of a students homework. Why is it suddenly now important, but it wasn't two years ago. It's box ticking and ass covering, but nobody can say what has changed.

Aren't penalties stronger

Aren't penalties stronger

Penalties are stronger but so also are data subjects rights.

Though the current legislation is built on the old trans European acts, it's stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Why should boss care, if its in policy and you lose a copy or an Xmas test its your fault not his. Jesus wept, I'm bricking it at thoughts of this meeting. This is that reporter thing in bullying all over again.

Because under GDPR legislation you are supposed to report a breach of data protection within 72 hours, if there has been one. So you losing a copy belonging to a student with information in the copy that identifies a student could be considered a data breach.

Maybe your principal doesn't care if you lose a copy or not, but if that child asks for the copy, and you say you lost it (after fobbing them off several times), it only takes one parent 'who knows their right's' to make a complaint about there being a data breach, and it could lead to a potential fine for the school. So some schools just don't want the hassle and put a blanket ban on taking copies out of school.

GDPR legislation meant that this year for the first time students were able to take photographs of their LC papers at the viewing sessions as they were considered personal data/documents and could be identified by their exam number.

In my school you can only view student profiles on VS Ware for students you teach. So if you don't teach third years but you do take the U16 football team after school, tough luck putting in a random student name to find out what class the 3As are in so you can give them a message about the match as you don't have access. Go and ask the secretary or spend your time traipsing around the building looking in windows of classrooms to find the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭amacca

Somewhere along the line its all gone a bit Pete Tong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Great news. This is clearly the Department's way of insisting teachers have more work-life balance? Once I was able to stay in the school until 6pm, when the caretaker would usually close up, and get homework done. When there were school events on at night I would plough through corrections until the school closed so that all my home time was my own.

Then they turned off the heat immediately after the school day to save money so I had to leave my draughty old room for the warmth of home to do corrections at my own heat etc expense. Although this is far from ideal with little ones often needing loads of attention, I've been correcting most things - including, ahem, *marking* all SEC exams - at home ever since. This imposed alternative to my current 'How-long-does-it-take-to-burn-out' path is going to give my life back weeks upon weeks each year.

Thank you, Data Protection legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Bards

GDPR and the laws of unintended consequences go hand in hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

This stuff about homework is a load of horse manure.
    If principals have stopped teachers bringing them home there must be someone out there on the lecture circuit really scaremongering.
    You can bring home copies as it is a normal part of your duties. You have a reason to access the students "data" that is legitimate. Just put it in your GDPR policy if your worried. There would be some craic waiting for the mocks to be corrected if it all had to be done in the school building!

What is important would be making sure to keep all sensitive and personal data secure, and only using it for the authorised purposes. Make sure enrolment forms explicitly ingorm the parents/guardians of the relevant GDPR policies.

Advertisement