Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance question

Options
  • 07-01-2019 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

i was involved in an accident yesterday ..i came up to a roundabout in my car...teenager on bicycle cycled through roundabout on my left through roundabout without looking..it was his fault...
    i hit him..he fell of bike..he was wearing no helmet...guards and ambulance came...guards took statement...the kid was taking to hospital..no broken bones...
    this is my first time been involved in an accident....my question is can his parents still try and claim of my insurance or how does it work.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

thebourke wrote: »
    i was involved in an accident yesterday ..i came up to a roundabout in my car...teenager on bicycle cycled through roundabout on my left through roundabout without looking..it was his fault...
    i hit him..he fell of bike..he was wearing no helmet...guards and ambulance came...guards took statement...the kid was taking to hospital..no broken bones...
    this is my first time been involved in an accident....my question is can his parents still try and claim of my insurance or how does it work.....

Helmet isn't a legal requirement.

Yes he could sue or claim for any injuries and expenses.

Have you contacted your insurance?
    If not do so.

I would highly recommend getting a dash cam.

Is there any damages to the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

i contacted insurance today...
    they are going to send out a report i need to fill in on what happened!they are also going to send out an assessor to look at the car
    There was no real damage done to the car!
    i don't have a dash cam...the roundabout where it happened..there is always a lot of kids that cycle through it without looking...!
    it happened so fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Do not put down on the report form that you are aware cyclists often go through the roundabout like that

no i wont be putting that down..im also a cyclist myself

It's actually quite alarming the amount of kids let out that don't have a clue what's going on around them and riding around in all black and not a single light or reflector.

I had similar a few years ago, indicated in loads of time and was already half way into the drive when the guy was coming down a hill at speed with no brakes.

He damaged the side of the car and went over the side and bonnet.

They tried claiming but failed miserably.

Last night I was letting passgers off the bus when a young teen was absolutely flying it down the footpath, no way of seeing him as on a bend but he only locked up at the last second.
    I did not pass him or have anyway of seeing him and very lucky nobody was hit.

• Advertisement

how does it work if the teenagers parents put in for a claim against me?there was a witness but i was too shocked at the time to ask for their details..the guards got the details...
    i was talking to my insurance company today..and they were saying even though there was no physical damage to the kid, they could still put in a claim...
    i am a bit confused over what happened in crash as it happened so fast...

thebourke wrote: »
    how does it work if the teenagers parents put in for a claim against me?there was a witness but i was too shocked at the time to ask for their details..the guards got the details...
    i was talking to my insurance company today..and they were saying even though there was no physical damage to the kid, they could still put in a claim...
    i am a bit confused over what happened in crash as it happened so fast...

That's why insurance is in place.

The cyclist or pedestrian doesn't need insurance so if right or wrong your insurance will cover it unfortunately that's just how it works.

Advertisement