Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Dot Sight or Low Mag 24mm Scope

Options
  • 07-01-2019 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Folks looking for some advice and experince here...

I've a new project in mind involving a .30 cal stalking rifle. On a day to day basis this rifle will be fitted with a 8x56mm S&B scope in QD rings, so I'm sorted with most of my stalking requirments. But I'm hoping to use this rifle for driven game at least once a year.

I've used red dots, low mag scopes and reflex sights before on loner guns but not enough to be able to have an opinion on any of them. I've spent a good bit of time reading and looking at them via the internet and still can't determine which one would be suitable.

Now before someone rushes in and spends my money on a Aimpoint or a piece of German glass, let me say that ain't going to happen. I can't justify spending big money (to me, any how) on something I'm only going to use on the rare occasions. I have also ruled out any good glass in the 1.5 -6 x 42/50 ish range, I know these are touted as the best all rounder but I like my 8x56 for stalking / foxing here.

So this is a two parter :
    • Red Dot / Reflex style sight or Low Mag 24mm scope
    • Recommend a cheep (max €200 ish at a push) sight / scope

I remember some lads recommending low cost reflex sights for the Embassy Cup Shoot, so there may be something there if they are the better of the three options.
    My other thoughts was something like the Hawke VANTAGE 30 WA 1-4×24 L4A DOT.
    Hawke do red dot and reflex, and the 2 year warranty is tempting if all goes South.

Any thoughts welcome.

Comments

Advertisement