Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping through safety demo

Options
  • 07-01-2019 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Is it illegal for passengers to sleep during the safety demo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can't see why it would be but it's probably not a good idea not knowing where the exits are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

There is a command given to remove headphones which seems to be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Such an antisocial thing and rude behaviour tbf. The very ones that would cause obstructions etc in the event of an emergency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

But is it against any laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

But is it against any laws?

Of course not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

The last Aer Lingus flight I was on they didn't even do a safety demo!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You must remove over ear headphones (not in ear). This annoys me. I've been on enough flights that I could do the safety thing myself. My headphones are noise cancelling because I'm autistic & they keep my stress levels down.

I can't imagine that it's ever illegal to be asleep except when in control of a vehicle. I admire anyone that can fall asleep before take off. I mean it's usually minutes between getting settled & the safety demo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,024 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

VG31 wrote:

Now that is illegal as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If they played the video then no demo is required

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Well, it's illegal/against the law not to follow crew instructions related to safety, so if you are instructed to "Pay attention as we go through the safety features of this aircraft" and instead you sleep through it that would technically be breaking the law and an offence on board an aircraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

VG31 wrote: »

I find that very hard to believe!

If they played the video then no demo is required

It was an A320 so there were no screens. All they said was to look at the safety card if you hadn't flown the aircraft type in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭john boye

Sometimes I look at CC half-heartedly demonstrating how to put on the life jacket and realise I wouldn't have a bull's notion how to put it on if something happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Even if you are a frequent flyer it is a courtesy to the cabin crew to at least appear to be taking notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

It was an A320 so there were no screens. All they said was to look at the safety card if you hadn't flown the aircraft type in a while.

Hmmmm.....I'd say you might have dozed off......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I find that very hard to believe!
    They were probably asleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yes they withhold the masks for those who don't pay attention in the event of a crash AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should also be awake for take-off and landing - the times when incidents are most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

is this for real? CCs not doing the safety demo is a sackable offense and the Captain would get a bollocking of the highest order for tolerating it. the IAA would certainly take issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭markpb

elperello wrote: »
    Even if you are a frequent flyer it is a courtesy to the cabin crew to at least appear to be taking notice.

Do the cabin crew really care? Thousands of passengers a day, different faces each time, say the same thing, know that in the event of an emergency, most people will rely on instructions then, not instructions they were only half listening to prior to take off. I find it hard to believe they’d take it personally if someone was asleep. Talking, distracting others maybe but sleeping, I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

It's a legal requirement yes, as is enforcing the seatbelt sign on the ground etc. Random inspections ARE carried out by regulators, non compliance results in absolutely eye watering fines and possible firing for the crews. As anyone who deals with the regulator knows, once you cross them on one issue they suddenly become very inquisitive and interfering on a plethora of other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

markpb wrote: »
    Do the cabin crew really care? Thousands of passengers a day, different faces each time, say the same thing, know that in the event of an emergency, most people will rely on instructions then, not instructions they were only half listening to prior to take off. I find it hard to believe they’d take it personally if someone was asleep. Talking, distracting others maybe but sleeping, I doubt it.

Possibly not but like I say it's just a courtesy.
    It's not that hard to sit up and look interested for a couple of minutes.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    is this for real? CCs not doing the safety demo is a sackable offense and the Captain would get a bollocking of the highest order for tolerating it. the IAA would certainly take issue with it.

Unless they were doing it silently past the exit rows, there's no way I would have missed it. I was sitting near the front where there were very little people but I would have at lease heard it if they did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stormanimal

Unless they were doing it silently past the exit rows, there's no way I would have missed it. I was sitting near the front where there were very little people but I would have at lease heard it if they did it.

I find this quite unbelievable to be honest. It wouldn't happen and there are set procedures in place so the cabin crew wouldn't have forgotten not to do it. Not to do it would be a major breach in safety and standard operating procedures.

I'd say you wasn't paying attention or must have fallen asleep.

I find this quite unbelievable to be honest. It wouldn't happen and there are set procedures in place so the cabin crew wouldn't have forgotten not to do it. Not to do it would be a major breach in safety and standard operating procedures.

I'd say you wasn't paying attention or must have fallen asleep.

I find it hard to believe it myself but I can't sleep on planes and always make a point of listening to the safety demonstrations.

There were definitely no cabin crew in front of me doing the demo, it's possible there were some behind me.

Maybe I did somehow completely zone out for 5 minutes but I find that very unlikely (albeit looking back it's also unlikely that they didn't do it).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I find it hard to believe it myself but I can't sleep on planes and always make a point of listening to the safety demonstrations.

There were definitely no cabin crew in front of me doing the demo, it's possible there were some behind me.

Maybe I did somehow completely zone out for 5 minutes but I find that very unlikely (albeit looking back it's also unlikely that they didn't do it).

An EI a320 typically carries 4 cabin crew, I’m going to go there and say I think it’s impossible that 4 cabin crew who’s raison d'être is onboard safety all forgot about doing the safety demo.
    I find on EI the demo is done promptly after door closure so it likely you somehow missed it, perhaps with earphones in finishing texts or emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I fly as good as every week and always pay attention to the safety demonstration. The reason is that when an emergency occurs, people will panic and may actually forget what they have been told a long time ago. When it is fresh in their mind, this is less likely.

Case in point: https://www.heart.co.uk/lifestyle/flight-safety-demo-selfie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Complete bull sorry. Most flight deck in EI listen in on the cabin for situational awareness in relation to knowing when they will be ready and the situation in the cabin (all this in addition to a secure call), not doing a demo wouldn't fly so to speak and It is unheard of frankly that Cabin Crew wouldn't carry out a demo the point of it being their sole purpose on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I do give the pilot a round of applause when they land.im old school. The missus pretends not to know me though when I do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Victor wrote: »
    You should also be awake for take-off and landing - the times when incidents are most likely.

It won't end well if it loses power on takeoff

end up like this yoke, mini mushroom cloud :

Advertisement