Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping through safety demo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

VG31 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe it myself but I can't sleep on planes and always make a point of listening to the safety demonstrations.

There were definitely no cabin crew in front of me doing the demo, it's possible there were some behind me.

Maybe I did somehow completely zone out for 5 minutes but I find that very unlikely (albeit looking back it's also unlikely that they didn't do it).

I've been on 2 EI flights with no demo, but it was 9/10.years ago. Just read the card. That was the instruction. So you're not crazy.

gctest50 wrote: »
    It won't end well if it loses power on takeoff

end up like this yoke, mini mushroom cloud :

That was an attempt at a low-speed flyover at an airshow, and amazingly out of 130 passengers there were only 3 fatalities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_296

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Flown quite a few times this year and the last couple of years

And I have to say every flight had a safety demo of some discription.

Are Lingus, Ryanair, Veuling - the basic A320 with no screens so the standard safety demo of the cabin crew on the aisle demonstrating the seatbelts , life vest etc.

I do look up at these to be honest, but really it's only to look to see if the cabin crew are going to fall into fits of laughter from being "Morto" doing the demo.... Which has happened many a time !

The two I remember very well are from British Airways and American Airlines because they went off and did videos that were funny, different or interesting

BA here : https://youtu.be/RedV-KyXWO4

I saw that BA one and found it interesting and funny so I remembered it and paid much attention to it and I thought it was a good way to get people's attention

The American one : https://youtu.be/LXb28mVZiJo

Saw this one this year and again it was different and interesting so I paid a lot of attention to it.

Now I know each airline put a lot of effort and money into making them but it did make the difference, each of those flights the passengers were glued to the screens and we're happy to watch, some commenting how good they were.

And it makes a difference from the 2/3 people standing down the aisle showing you how to plug in seatbelt.

If they do it up a bit and make it a bit fun or interesting I think people will pay attention regardless and could save lives if the unfortunate were to happen !

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Take off and landing - as Billy Connolly calls it - "maiming height".

Some years ago RTE 2 (I think) ran a series called "How to survive a....". The plane crash one stood out because the programme explained the reason behind the actions of the safety demonstration.

The safety belt one was interesting. An off duty pilot was flying with the great unwashed. There was an emergency landing. When it was time to get out (in a hurry) he struggled to get out because he kept pressing the belt buckle (like a car seat belt). The brain does funny things when under pressure.

I only fly 3/4 times a year and I always pay attention to the demo.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

shar01 wrote: »
    The safety belt one was interesting. An off duty pilot was flying with the great unwashed. There was an emergency landing. When it was time to get out (in a hurry) he struggled to get out because he kept pressing the belt buckle (like a car seat belt). The brain does funny things when under pressure.

That has always stuck with me since seeing that programme.

By the way, I was on a United flight from Newark to Dublin last summer where there was no safety demo. Announcement made to read the safety card. I was quite shocked! On United aircraft to Ireland, there are no screens, so no safety video either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I was on an EI flight about 2 years ago with no safety demo..

I thought it was strange but it was a late night flight and we were rushing to depart so I didn’t pay much heed at the time. I just wanted to get home.

I don’t sleep on planes so I know for sure it wasn’t done..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Can't see why it would be but it's probably not a good idea not knowing where the exits are :)

But you don't need a demo to see where the exits are, they are clearly marked. As for the rest of the safety demo, a complete waste of time. Assuming anyone is left alive after the plane hits the water/land/mountain it will then be complete chaos anyway with bodies dead & alive all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yoke

I think the safety stuff is directed towards the case of an emergency landing rather than a full-on crash.

I’m guessing it would help reduce fatalities or serious injuries in the case of the plane actually landing and hitting obstacles at lower speeds (like car crash speeds)

The instructions regarding oxygen masks deploying in the case of cabin depressurisation could also help save some lives in those situations, as many planes which had a loss of cabin pressure due to various reasons including hull breaches have landed successfully in the past with minimal loss of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stormanimal

Rennaws wrote: »
    I was on an EI flight about 2 years ago with no safety demo..

I thought it was strange but it was a late night flight and we were rushing to depart so I didn’t pay much heed at the time. I just wanted to get home.

I don’t sleep on planes so I know for sure it wasn’t done..

The cabin crew would always do a safety demonstration. It's a huge part of SOP. After the safety demo, the crew would have secured the cabin. Did the crew not secure the cabin too?

I think you answered your own answer in your question not paying much heed at the time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I do give the pilot a round of applause when they land.im old school. The missus pretends not to know me though when I do it.

Thats just trolling.......but I do applaud your idea!

As for the safety demo. When I used to do them (15+ years ago now) I would note the ppl not paying attention or chatting to their neighbours. Anyone who talked loudly was asked to pipe down. Those who didnt pay attention didnt make me feel insulted but I did silently and internally have less respect for them. As for ppl sleeping, well at the time we never had an instruction that they HAD to pay attention. As above, it is a courtesy given and a courtesy to listen.

Its like when I am in a restaurant, Im 90% not going to order the special but I'll give the waiter/waitress my attention while they tell me about it. (these days its usually its something with kale, quinoa or similar trendy veg!)

But you don't need a demo to see where the exits are, they are clearly marked. As for the rest of the safety demo, a complete waste of time. Assuming anyone is left alive after the plane hits the water/land/mountain it will then be complete chaos anyway with bodies dead & alive all over the place.
    -Exits can be hidden behind toilets and galley areas. Most people note the door they boarded through and any they pass enroute to their seat. If you are in row 6, how many rows to the window exit behind you? Do you note it as you stowed your bag? My missus dislikes my long held habit of looking around the plane when we take our seats. "You dont work here anymore, stop pretending that you do" I even find my self checking door handles when I get into an unfamiliar car or on the bus.
    -Seat belts are there mostly to keep ppl in place in case of sudden severe turbulence and to prevent ragdoll effects in a hard/crash landing.
    -Loss of pressure happens not too rarely, knowing about the drop down mask will keep you conscious (assuming you pull it down and put it on)
    -I do agree that many fatal accidents have been catastrophic and not safety demo would hlp but over the last 10 years we have seen many incidents that have resulted in a surprisingly high survivial rate. This is down to safer aircraft, luck and ppl following instructions.
    AF off the runway at Toronto, Delta off the runway at La Gauardia (evac selfies and tweets), BA fire in Vegas, Hudson River ditching, Ryanair, AA B767 evacuation on taxiway (with evac selfies again), gear collapse in Rome, Southwest loss of pressure last year, B777 runway impact in SFO (think it was China Airlines?)

But again, they info is given as a courtesy to those who want to avail of it. If you feel you dont need it then it never bothered me when I worked there, it doesnt bother me now. Unless of course you are one of those ppl who dont pay attention and think they can go to the toilet just before takeoff or landing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Is it illegal for passengers to sleep during the safety demo?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The cabin crew would always do a safety demonstration. It's a huge part of SOP. After the safety demo, the crew would have secured the cabin. Did the crew not secure the cabin too?

I think you answered your own answer in your question not paying much heed at the time.

I said I didn’t pay much much heed to the fact that there was no safety demo.

I travel regularly and always watch it out of courtesy for the stewards if nothing else.

There was no safety demo on this flight.

If there’s was, I would have watched it as I always do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

I dont particularly pay attention to the safety instructions.

I DO pay attention to:

1. Where the nearest door exit is.
    2. Where the life vest is located
    3. If there are any people between me and the door who are going to take time to get off the plane in the event of an emergency.
    4. What’s on the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

There's always been a safety demo on flights I've been on. The only breach of SOP I've ever noticed was landing in darkness at Heathrow, the BA crew didn't instruct that window blinds be raised, nor did they go around and raise them themselves.

I do give the pilot a round of applause when they land.im old school. The missus pretends not to know me though when I do it.

Never fly again. I *hate* you. So much.

Hyperbolic? Yes, but if I were sitting beside you I’d be moaning “please stop pleeeaaasssee” in the most obnoxious way while staring at you until you stopped and looked.

Do the decent thing and thank the captain at the end. Reserve the claps for bad weather or a post-incident landing. You demean yourself otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

There's always been a safety demo on flights I've been on. The only breach of SOP I've ever noticed was landing in darkness at Heathrow, the BA crew didn't instruct that window blinds be raised, nor did they go around and raise them themselves.
    On most American Airlines flights i have been on, they dont go around raising the blinds, which I find odd.

On a Aero Mexicano flight, we took off and there was no safety announcement, in fact the plane took off so quickly, most people had not got their seat belts sorted... Strangest flight I have ever been on. Not one of the stewards checked anything.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Those 'funny' safety videos are all well when you watch them the first time. But if you are a frequent flyer by God are they annoying.

Particularly if you've to watch them in both the airlines language and then again in English.

Agree it's really just common courtesy to even pretend to pay attention. The non-video one take less than two minutes sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It really comes down to how hot the air hostesses are as to how much attention I pay to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Those 'funny' safety videos are all well when you watch them the first time. But if you are a frequent flyer by God are they annoying.

Eh if you want annoying try the ICE video on Emirates or indeed the "Spirit of Dubai" video. I can probably recite the latter word for word...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Noxegon wrote: »
    Eh if you want annoying try the ICE video on Emirates or indeed the "Spirit of Dubai" video. I can probably recite the latter word for word...

Turkish Airlines Zach King video................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

"There is a life jacket under your seat...."
    Just once, I would like a non emergency opportunity to explore that scenario.

Where exactly is it, how easy is it to locate,remove and put on? I would't be too sure of my ability to figure it out in a real emergency situation. I trust that it is actually there, but am unsure of exactly where it is or how I actually get to it.

I would like to see it in cool calm daylight before possibly having to use it in hot panic darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ger Roe wrote: »

Where exactly is it, how easy is it to locate,remove and put on? I would't be too sure of my ability to figure it out in a real emergency situation. I trust that it is actually there, but am unsure of exactly where it is or how I actually get to it.

I would like to see it in cool calm daylight before possibly having to use it in hot panic darkness.

Sounds like the start of a users guide for Durex

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I sleep through them all the time. I've been on plenty enough flights that I could probably give the demo myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

The Air France safety video is truly awful and having to endure it in both French and English is just torture.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

irish_goat wrote: »
    I sleep through them all the time. I've been on plenty enough flights that I could probably give the demo myself.

This is exactly the type of attitude that resulted in a passenger in the Hudson crash thinking he knew better and pushing aside a flight attendant and opening a door at the rear of the aircraft.
    The flight attendant was directing the passengers forward as the water level outside doors 2 was to high to open them. But no, he knew better. Bet he flew all the time “could have given the demo himself”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Locker10a wrote: »
    This is exactly the type of attitude that resulted in a passenger in the Hudson crash thinking he knew better and pushing aside a flight attendant and opening a door at the rear of the aircraft.
    The flight attendant was directing the passengers forward as the water level outside doors 2 was to high to open them. But no, he knew better. Bet he flew all the time “could have given the demo himself”

I'd say he would have done that even if he'd watched the safety demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Noxegon wrote: »

Finnair had a Hitler lookalike doing the video for a while. I used to watch, fascinated that he was chosen from all available Finns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I always listen to the safety demos, especially now that i'm flying with my Kids and they cannot look after themselves in an emergency but i have to say, those safety videos from the middle eastern 3 are a bit annoying.
    They seem to go on for about 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

I always listen to the safety demos, especially now that i'm flying with my Kids and they cannot look after themselves in an emergency but i have to say, those safety videos from the middle eastern 3 are a bit annoying.
    They seem to go on for about 15 minutes.

And are played three times in different languages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I always assumed that the primary purpose of the safety demo was psychological. i.e. It is part of the standard set of things that everyone expects to happen when they fly and therefore provides a level of reassurance for some passengers.

davej

Advertisement